Nebraska 28, Illinois 6 POSTGAME

FT35

Naperville
What a disappointing game. We were dominated on both sides of the ball.

We got hardly any pressure on Lee and they were able to do just about whatever they wanted to do on offense. I'm amazed they only scored 28 points.

Something has to change on offense otherwise I don't see how we win another game this year. I know a lot of the focus is on Crouch but I'm not sure we have enough talent and depth at OL to get anything going on offense this year. I'm not sure this problem can be fixed this year or even next year given how many underclassmen we're going to have rely on for 2018 as well. Interesting that Fagan was given the start over Meggison.

Nebraska could easily end up 3-9 or 4-8 and they dominated us in this game. The rest of the year is going to be hard to watch.

Just remember how young the team is. Theyre going to take their lumps and in the coming seasons are going to be very much rewarded for it.

And Coran Taylor starts day 1. No doubt.

UofI08

Chicago
Sometimes coaching staffs can install systems that make less talented players play at a higher level. And sometimes coaching staffs can take raw, younger talent and Coach them up to make them more competitive as a unit. Our coaching staff doesn't appear to be either - especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Exactly this!

Nobody is expecting us to be good. But most of us want to at least look halfway competitive for at least the first half. That's not too much to ask.

blmillini

Bloomington, IL
What a disappointing game. We were dominated on both sides of the ball.

We got hardly any pressure on Lee and they were able to do just about whatever they wanted to do on offense. I'm amazed they only scored 28 points.

Something has to change on offense otherwise I don't see how we win another game this year. I know a lot of the focus is on Crouch but I'm not sure we have enough talent and depth at OL to get anything going on offense this year. I'm not sure this problem can be fixed this year or even next year given how many underclassmen we're going to have rely on for 2018 as well. Interesting that Fagan was given the start over Meggison.

Nebraska could easily end up 3-9 or 4-8 and they dominated us in this game. The rest of the year is going to be hard to watch.

That is exactly why they need to start George. He makes decisions much quicker so there is at least a chance that something good happens. The OL and the entire defense are just too young and physically overmatched.

Deleted member 336259

D
People need to step back from the ledge. Anyone expecting any sort of success this year was expecting too much.

The conservative offensive plan would have worked if the defense had executed. The defense simply wasn’t able to pressure the qb, largely because it wasn’t big, fast and strong enough. Those things will get better in time.

Don’t judge now. Judge in 2019. People who don’t have patience for that should probably find another team to watch for a while.

Sooooo, what exactly are you saying? The defense needs to do the offense's job? Am I missing something here?

Deleted member 590820

D
People using the freshman excuse is ridiculous . You don't learn how to tackle senior year . Fundementals pathetic. When angle tackling you put your head in front, not in back so the RB can run through tackle to get first down. You give up a 3rd and 20 by them running the ball? BRUTAL!! And that targeting call in 1st quarter was terrible. TE had his head down. DB can't protect himself? NCAA and NFL for that matter is run by wussies. I don't know how to say that any cleaner. Football is not a nice game. Stop pretending it's supposed to be safe . Aside from that , Garrick McGee has not impressed me as play caller. Why isn't Jeff George in there . Or this kid we just got from Central Florida was it? Crouch brutal.

Deleted member 631370

D
Crouch shouldn't start again but this coaching staff don't have the cajones to make the move happen.

Makes the decision easier for me.

If this staff is going to use 2017 as a throwaway year by sticking with a QB that cannot throw a football, then I guess there's no point in me watching the games.

The o-line is the foundation to the issues. They're overmatched physically and in many times confused on defensvie stunts and slants . Inability to gain on the ground is putting a lot of pressure on Crouch for the typically 3rd and long downs. I think everyone knew this would be the issue this season. Crouch had half of the rushing attempts, some by design, but a lot by running for his life.

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
The o-line is the foundation to the issues. They're overmatched physically and in many times confused on defensvie stunts and slants . Inability to gain on the ground is putting a lot of pressure on Crouch for the typically 3rd and long downs. I think everyone knew this would be the issue this season. Crouch had half of the rushing attempts, some by design, but a lot by running for his life.

I don’t care. 6 points is UNACCEPTABLE and it was somewhat expected since they started Crouch. I really don’t see why he is still in there. I just don’t. Groce did the same damn thing. How I can see on tv what change needs to be made and I’m not being paid millions is baffaling. NFL experience? Well he’ll throw me on the decision making coaching squad if that’s the case

How bad would NIU beat us? Are we the 3rd best team in Illinois right now? Would Eastern give us a run for the money? I understand that we are young, but here is my concern: So we have all these coaches with NFL experience. But NFL teams get the talented best of the best players who already have the fundamentals and know how to tackle and execute. Do these guys realty know how to coach up less talented players and teach them the fundamentals they need to be successful? I don't know, its just something I worry about.

KRSAS

Charleston, IL

I thought we made a handful of good plays; however the stiffarm by Nebraska's Morgan Jr. all the way to the endzone proved to me that we have a lot of growing up to do. It looked like men against boys out there. As much as I wanted Illinois to win, I'm glad to see that overall Nebraska is still sucking and hope their mediocrity continues.Winning 2 more games is still a possibility but I’m not confident that we will beat Rutgers or Northwestern with our predictable offensive game play. The playaction pass in our play selection has to go. I don’t know we don’t run more screens, at least which might build up Crouch’s confidence.

Last edited:

KRSAS

Charleston, IL
How bad would NIU beat us? Are we the 3rd best team in Illinois right now? Would Eastern give us a run for the money? I understand that we are young, but here is my concern: So we have all these coaches with NFL experience. But NFL teams get the talented best of the best players who already have the fundamentals and know how to tackle and execute. Do these guys realty know how to coach up less talented players and teach them the fundamentals they need to be successful? I don't know, its just something I worry about.

I think all the NFL experience is just a bunch of malarkey. Just trying to get everyone on board to support the Illini. Remember the show, "Bound for Glory" with Dick Butkus??? I'm kind of thinking that's our situation too on steroids! I do think that Illinois State would beat us right now and the 2013 EIU football team would as well but for some reason we seem to beat these FCS programs.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
I think all the NFL experience is just a bunch of malarkey. Just trying to get everyone on board to support the Illini. Remember the show, "Bound for Glory" with Dick Butkus??? I'm kind of thinking that's our situation too on steroids! I do think that Illinois State would beat us right now and the 2013 EIU football team would as well but for some reason we seem to beat these FCS programs.

They had to start over. They have 9 seniors on the roster. NINE. That's less than the number of true freshman who've started (TEN). Anytime you play 18/19 year olds, you're not going to have much success. But those 18/19 year olds will eventually turn 20, 21, 22. It might be difficult, but have faith. Have patience.

Oldtoysrock

Sarasota, Florida
Don't know why we continued to punt on 4th down? So it didn't get out of hand? I think it was out of hand at 21-3, so what did you have to lose by going for it?

Now Cam Thomas has been suspended indefinitely, the same week that Littlejohn's scholarship was pulled. Hope the staff can get this thing turned around before it has a chance to snowball. On a brighter note, we didn't have nearly the number of penalties as we did in the USF game. So there's that . . . . .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

blmillini

Bloomington, IL

4th. And don't kid yourself, NFL players have a tremendous amount to learn when they get to the NFL. Those best players are able to get by on athleticism, strength and speed in college... they have to learn how to play in the NFL.

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
Makes the decision easier for me.

If this staff is going to use 2017 as a throwaway year by sticking with a QB that cannot throw a football, then I guess there's no point in me watching the games.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I can't watch another down with Crouch under center.

Dudek and Turner in particular have to be dying out there. I know they like and respect Crouch as a person, but man. When the only pass your QB can make is a 6-yd hitch route--and even then only half the time--what do you do? Those are two potential All-B1G guys out there dying in the reception desert.

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]ZphhNSFuYsc[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]dibaG_GPIn8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]1oRtqV9hfCQ[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]CdZ9FfTOoXQ[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]ki0G5wgN3OE[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]UWHk7qdRDDQ[/YOUTUBE]
[youtube]r9mXkBdoiJc[/youtube]

Deleted member 631370

D
This is pretty much where I'm at. I can't watch another down with Crouch under center.

Dudek and Turner in particular have to be dying out there. I know they like and respect Crouch as a person, but man. When the only pass your QB can make is a 6-yd hitch route--and even then only half the time--what do you do? Those are two potential All-B1G guys out there dying in the reception desert.

Reminds me of Malachi Dupree wasting away at LSU because he didn't have a QB that could throw the ball downfield.

I really feel bad for Dudek in particular. The kid could easily be a 75+ reception, 1,000+ yard, 10+ TD receiver for dozens of programs, but this is one of the few Big Ten-level programs in which he's pretty much screwed.

I also feel bad for Crouch. He has no offensive line whatsoever, and you can in large part thank the clown Beckman and his MAC-level recruiting for assembling the embarrassment we have on the field now. But, the kid needs to be able to throw a football downfield. In this day and age, you have to be able to spread defenses around. And right now, we're playing 1920s style football because our QB just isn't capable of passing vertically.

This makes the Dustin Ward days seem like the days of Aaron Rodgers. Not saying JGJ is Jon Beutjer, because he's not. But at least he gives the offense another dimension.

Just have to ask yourself........is this program going to win with Crouch as QB? It's not fair to pin it all on him, but there is no more important position in sports than the QB position.

Most depressing part for me was Lovie saying after the game that he's not going to try to pass more because "we're a running team."
Feel sorry for Mike D. Two years of rehab and all he has to look forward to is two catches per game for 37 yards. Carmoni and Smalling, one catch per game each. Sorry, guys.

Most depressing part for me was Lovie saying after the game that he's not going to try to pass more because "we're a running team."
Feel sorry for Mike D. Two years of rehab and all he has to look forward to is two catches per game for 37 yards. Carmoni and Smalling, one catch per game each. Sorry, guys.

+1. Think we saw some of that frustration on the field last night.

blackdog

Champaign
I was on the fence about Crouch before this game but I got to sit in the student section yesterday and that view really drove home how bad of a QB he is. I was making better pre snap reads than he was and I've never played a down of real football. And that accuracy...wow that was terrible. Even when he gets the ball to the right guy his placement is not good and doesn't give the player a chance to make a play most of the time.