Nebraska 42, Illinois 38 POSTGAME

Without the turnovers, this isn’t close. The TO fairy was on our side. To be fair, we hit hard. But....when guys are wide open in the middle of the field carving you up, I’m not sure the big hits matter.

Peters is a lot like the defense, feast or famine. Makes a throw that is incredible then throws 4 or 5 awful balls. Wildly inconsistent. But, I don’t think we have a better option.

We don’t have a clearly better option. The question we probably need to broach at this point is, does playing Peters give us our best future outlook? That’s what we likely need to begin discussing, cause a bowl game is 100% out of the equation.

Who should I be more disappointed with? The team/coaches for losing a game like this or me for tuning in to another game of Illinois football expecting a different result?

It took all the way to the Iowa game last year to kill my happiness for the college football season. 4 weeks in this year...
Yup. I'm already checked out after this. Somebody call me if they win a few games. After decades of suffering as an Illini fan, Lovie has destroyed my spirit. I'm out.

IllFanInMi

I
I was wondering if it is harder to win a game on the road with 3 TDS off turnovers, missed FG, missed PAT, or to lose a game with all those good fortunes at home. Well....

I hope the Big Ten TV Announcers have a safe trip back to Lincoln. I'm done with BTN.

Despite the loss, I loved the effort against a much more talented Nebraska team. Watched the game with a Husker fan, it was nice to see him sweat for most of the game. If we would of had this effort last week we'd be 3 and 1. Minnesota can be fickle at times so we'll see what happens next week!

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
This minus Josh ... guy is a gem, IMO, and I don’t think anyone here could predict how horribly this would turn out.

If we are to start over, as we should, it should be Josh who stars over.

We are understandably frustrated. It still hasn't been long enough to justify taking any of it out on Whitman. If he keeps Lovie after what looks like will be another disastrous season, then I will start having some doubts that would only be quelled if Year 3 of Underwood Ball finally gets the basketball team back to the dance.

What was smarter - the clock management or the use of Isaiah Williams?

Are you concerned with why we didn’t use IW more today or how we did in the few plays he saw? I would agree on both points but to specifically address the latter, I’m livid with Rod Smith. Livid. You can’t use the kid against Akron but in the biggest game of the year, you run him out there when EVERYONE AND THEIR DOG knows he’s either going to A: Run the football or B: Act as a decoy in pretending he’ll run the football, which essentially burns the use of an 11th player?! I’m beyond upset with how we ran Isiah our there today. Completely idiotic.

If we ran cover 3 for literally 25% of the time this game is different because we likely give up 500 yards as opposed to 700.

I was wondering if we’d show cover 3 at some point just for the way they were slicing us over the middle

Refs were horrible, but you pretty much knew the way this game would end during the last minute of the first half. No sense of urgency to try and go out to win, just trying not to lose. This is and has always been Lovie in a nutshell.

Deleted member 716187

D
Who should I be more disappointed with? The team/coaches for losing a game like this or me for tuning in to another game of Illinois football expecting a different result?

I feel the exact same. Im tired of spending my saturdays on what is the worst defense Ive ever seen. Im done with Illinois football until we get a new coaching staff

Deleted member 182960

D
i understand we were 2 td underdogs but we had the chances and we !!!! the bed.....

SuperMetroid

Evanston
Frustrating game to say the least. Defense was bad but when you get 100 plays run on you you’re going to wear out. Kind of a weird situation where the turnovers we forced ultimately hurt us since they gave the D no time to rest. Hope the refs have fun at poker night at Scott Frost’s house.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Are you concerned with why we didn’t use IW more today or how we did in the few plays he saw? I would agree on both points but to specifically address the latter, I’m livid with Rod Smith. Livid. You can’t use the kid against Akron but in the biggest game of the year, you run him out there when EVERYONE AND THEIR DOG knows he’s either going to A: Run the football or B: Act as a decoy in pretending he’ll run the football, which essentially burns the use of an 11th player?! I’m beyond upset with how we ran Isiah our there today. Completely idiotic.

Both. Yes. Co-sign aggressively.

Even that last 3rd down when Peters had to come out - why not use him there?

Listen guys, it can't get much worse on defense than giving up 700 yards, right? I'm sure we can turn it around, just a few small adjustments to be made.

This minus Josh ... guy is a gem, IMO, and I don’t think anyone here could predict how horribly this would turn out.

If we are to start over, as we should, it should be Josh who stars over.
I really can't let Whitman of the hook here, The problem is he made Lovie one of the ten highest paid coaches in football. Lovie, a guy who has never done or even been around anything close to what we were actually asking him to do, so it's not really any surprise he unable to do it. I say Lovie's colossal failure plus the Humiliating contract mean's if Whitman lost his job, I really wouldn't be upset about it.

Deleted member 46511

D
38 points......ok. Wish we'd passed a little more. But we were trying to get the DF some rest.

No. No no no.
When we ran between the tackles, we were NEVER stopped.
The only stopped drives were when we threw.

If Ohio State, or Wisconsin are running on you, and you can't stop it. THEY DONT STOP RUNNING.

We stopped... on 3 or 4 drives.

Throwing MORE is the last thing we needed. Running outside is not what we needed.

We owned them between the tackles.

Rod Smith has to prove they he could score in many ways. We didn't need it.

I don't care if we throw ZERO passes, if we win.

Awful