Nebraska 53, Illinois 43 POSTGAME

I find it incredibly hard to believe that Coach thinks its good selection when Starks takes two dribbles to his left and shoots a contested fadeaway 3 pointer with 20 seconds remaining on the shot clock. In fact id be willing to bet my beach house that he thinks those shots are, in fact, problematic.

Coach speak.

Listen to his first question from Jeremy Werner on the teleconference deal from this morning. He is very clear about feeling that shot selection is not a problem.

Listen to his first question from Jeremy Werner on the teleconference deal from this morning. He is very clear about feeling that shot selection is not a problem.
Maybe we just aren't making shots then. I see plenty of other teams make what we consider "bad shots". They all seem like bad shots when you don't make them.

Maybe we just aren't making shots then. I see plenty of other teams make what we consider "bad shots". They all seem like bad shots when you don't make them.
Fade away threes are low %. Ditto for 5 feet past the arc. And with a guy in your face. We took a lot of bad shots, many early in the clock. I understand Groce wants his guys to be aggressive, but somehow that has to be balanced with understanding that you can get a tough shot any time, try to work for a better shot before launching a low % attempt.

Fade away threes are low %. Ditto for 5 feet past the arc. And with a guy in your face. We took a lot of bad shots, many early in the clock. I understand Groce wants his guys to be aggressive, but somehow that has to be balanced with understanding that you can get a tough shot any time, try to work for a better shot before launching a low % attempt.
It's called basketball IQ and we've got some guys that need to take some night classes.

I'm talking about forcing up contested threes, and hero ball (make one shot, and force up another one the very next time you touch the ball). This team has had poor shot selection all year, and that is a essentially a fact. There is a big difference between simply not connecting on good looks, and having poor shot selection/hero ball

Logan Square, Chicago
It's called basketball IQ and we've got some guys that need to take some night classes.
Nunn and Hill take good shots, typically. Just about every shot Ray takes is good, because it goes in:) Tate takes good shots...just very very few of them. Black takes good shots.

I am encouraged by the fact that Groce's freshmen recruits are generally well rounded basketball players who have good all-around skills, are good passers, and are pretty smart.

I hope/expect this trend to continue when Finke, DWill, Jordan, and JCL take the court next year, too.

This year is rough, but it's bound to be rough when you lose three players--your backup center and two starting senior guards. I'm fine with just looking for silver linings this season, now, and hoping for incremental improvements, especially among the younger guys who will be carrying this team in years to come.

And, really, all is not lost yet. We have a couple good wins, and our worst lost is at Michigan. If we can hang on until Rice gets back, we could still salvage the year. We do have a favorable BT schedule.