Nebraska 53, Illinois 43 POSTGAME

Love this quote on the Yahoo sports review of the game:

''A big part of our offensive struggles, Nebraska deserves a lot of credit for that,'' said Illinois coach John Gross.
Yep. Their length really effected us. There were quite a few times where we had good ball movement and a guy had a good look at the rim, but one of their 6'6 guys flew over to contest the shot. Our offense was obviously a big problem too, but you have to give some credit to their length. Their length really helped on offense too. There were plays where we would cut off Petteway or Shields but they would just rise up and make the jumper over us.

Wilmette, IL
The guards hit him [Nnanna] a number of times, but he continued to pass off.
Well, the fact that he catches a post feed and then holds it, motionless, chest-high for a solid 2 or 3 seconds before deciding to move into his slow back-down, his slow step out jumper, or pass it back out, doesn't help much. As much as Starks slows the ball by dribbling, Nnanna slows it by being indecisive and deliberate. He doesn't seem to have any instinct on the offensive side, at least within the flow of the offense; it's all slow thinking and deliberate actions. When the play is broken or he's going for an offensive rebound, he suddenly looks fluid, quick and athletic. Why doesn't that come out with a quick pivot and hook or up and under move?

And here I am, back to beating that same dead horse! Dagnabit!

Agree. Without watching the game again, I can't recall being upset at anyone else's shot selection but Starks. Our ball movement has certainly improved over the past couple games. Guys are actually penetrating and trying to find the open man.
I thought our hustle on offense ( speed of movement without ball) dropped off significantly from Maryland game..
Just seemed slow...which indirectly impacts offensive performance...

Neb did a really good job of defending penetration....if we hit a few more 3s it might have softened the middle up a little...on to NW

I don't think so...the hardest games left on the schedule are at Wisc, @MSU. win those with only 9 total & it just adds losses to teams above 50 in RPI. Our schedule & accomplishments to date aren't very impressive, I think it may take 10, plus a big win or 2, plus some luck.
+1. With the B1G teams' RPIs down this year aside from 2-3 teams, we'll most likely need 10 or 11 more wins this season to earn a ticket to the Dance. 9-9 or 10-8 and a first-round B1G tourney exit will not get it done, imo. 10-8 and 1 tourney win hopefully will be enough to pad our resume to earn a bid. But that will mean going 10-5 in the next 15 games largely without RR. Tall order.

Scottsdale, AZ
+1. With the B1G teams' RPIs down this year aside from 2-3 teams, we'll most likely need 10 or 11 more wins this season to earn a ticket to the Dance. 9-9 or 10-8 and a first-round B1G tourney exit will not get it done, imo. 10-8 and 1 tourney win hopefully will be enough to pad our resume to earn a bid. But that will mean going 10-5 in the next 15 games largely without RR. Tall order.
This is so depressingly accurate. Ugh.

Cosby also had his share of rebounds tonight, I would like to see Cosby play some pg...not because I think he is a great pg, but because last time he played pg it appeared he could shoot...maybe changing it up would help him find his game & without Rice we absolutely need him to step up.
He looks like a completely different player, though. He seems very herky-jerky or stiff when he moves. He doesn't appear to be a very fluid mover right now, for whatever reason. I know someone the other day suggested maybe he "bulked up too much." Maybe that is the case, I don't know. I just don't see anyway that he could play point and be successful unless a team was strictly a zone who sat back in it.

:shield:

We are in 12th place right now. I've changed my mind about conference expansion and am now all for it. 12th with only 10 teams would be really bad.

:(

New York
This is so depressingly accurate. Ugh.
Yep, the only good news is that we have a lot of home games coming up, and we don't face many great teams in that mix. (We already played Maryland, no Wisconsin at home...)

Also we do get Ray back at a certain point. If we can just show reasonable signs of life until Ray gets back, there is still hope.

Clark County
As we hit the mid season mark, very disappointing to see 29 3's chucked up instead of trying to get to the foul line where we shoot very well. I am not surprised by outcome, if chuckers aren't hitting, they lose, simple as that. It seems most of the optimists are hanging their hats on shooting 45% from the arc. Simply no reason to believe we will do this with any consistency. Last night it appeared we were playing with 5 shooting guards. Even our center is out, toes behind the line, hands out, waiting for his turn to shoot the 3. You can call it a player problem, but it will become Groce's problem if trend continues. We were just so easy to guard last night. Hard to switch gears offensively mid-season, but hoping to hit your 3's and not rebounding is a recipe for disaster.

Coach Groce doesn't think shot selection is a problem? I guess he and I will just have to whole-heartedly disagree on that one

Coach Groce doesn't think shot selection is a problem? I guess he and I will just have to whole-heartedly disagree on that one
That's fine if he doesn't think it is a problem. If he can win down the line and make the tournament, great if not he's starting the season on the hot seat and may want to rethink his ways with regards to in game adjustments or recruit better

That's fine if he doesn't think it is a problem. If he can win down the line and make the tournament, great if not he's starting the season on the hot seat and may want to rethink his ways with regards to in game adjustments or recruit better
I am discouraged about how the year is going but its hard for me to get too mad at coaching. The team is missing Abrams, Rice, and Paul. Maybe I am giving Groce too much leeway. I really don't know what to think.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that Coach thinks its good selection when Starks takes two dribbles to his left and shoots a contested fadeaway 3 pointer with 20 seconds remaining on the shot clock. In fact id be willing to bet my beach house that he thinks those shots are, in fact, problematic.

Coach speak.

There will be several more of these nights this year. We just don't have the offensive firepower to win consistently. Ray will be back at some point. Nunn has shown signs of getting back in the groove. Hopefully at some point 1 of Starks or Cosby will break out to some extent. Maybe the Nnanna of the last few games of 2014 will show up yet this year. If a lot of those things happen we could put on a late season push. Will it matter, at least as far as Dance bids go? A lot of that will depend on being able to scramble for a few wins now so as not to get too far behind the 8 ball.

Again, no point in tracking conference record as it's not used by the selection committee. Right now our resume is OK, 2 good wins, only 1 bad loss. We need to maintain that over the next month or so until Rice is back.

I think the schedule is set up as well as possible for that. Over the next 9 games, we've got 5 winnable home games and 1 winnable road game (Wed vs NW). Of the other 3 games, 2 were probably going to be tough to win even with Rayvonte (@MSU and @UW). The last game is another tough one (@MN) although we've done well against them recently. So if you can win 5 or even all 6 of those winnable games, you're still in the running.

Cosby also had his share of rebounds tonight, I would like to see Cosby play some pg...not because I think he is a great pg, but because last time he played pg it appeared he could shoot...maybe changing it up would help him find his game & without Rice we absolutely need him to step up.
To be honest I've been somewhat perplexed as to why he hasn't seen any time at all at PG. I realize he isn't the JG type but up until the Maryland game neither Tate nor Starks had played well enough to earn the minutes they were getting at the 1.

Again, no point in tracking conference record as it's not used by the selection committee. Right now our resume is OK, 2 good wins, only 1 bad loss. We need to maintain that over the next month or so until Rice is back.

I think the schedule is set up as well as possible for that. Over the next 9 games, we've got 5 winnable home games and 1 winnable road game (Wed vs NW). Of the other 3 games, 2 were probably going to be tough to win even with Rayvonte (@MSU and @UW). The last game is another tough one (@MN) although we've done well against them recently. So if you can win 5 or even all 6 of those winnable games, you're still in the running.
Like I wrote earlier, "With the B1G teams' RPIs down this year aside from 2-3 teams, we'll most likely need 10 or 11 more wins this season to earn a ticket to the Dance." I then included the conference record merely for context. Winning 10 or 11 more games this season would mean a 10-8 B1G record with at least 1 BTT victory. Mentioning this just helps other posters realize what our league record would be in this scenario. I fully realize that conference record means nothing to the NCAA tournament selection committee.

Winning 5 or 6 of our remaining winnable games would be nice, but we still likely need 10 more wins between now and selection Sunday IMO to make the Dance.

Washington, DC
To summarize, conference record doesn't matter, but going 10-8 in our last 18 scheduled games would be a good thing.