NET Rankings / Bracketology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, the way I posted was confusing. Gonzaga in the past 10 years got 3 1-seeds, 1 2-seed, 1 4-seed, 1 7-seed, 2 8-seeds, and 2 11-seeds. I added up the number of wins you expect those seeds to get IN THE TOURNAMENT (not the number of wins you expect those seeds to have gotten in the regular season). So a 1 seed, on average, wins 3.346 games in the tournament. I added up the expected wins in the tournament per year, based on the breakdown of the seeds Gonzaga has received. So basically, the average number of tournament wins you would expect from a team that got those 10 seeds I listed above is 17.548. Gonzaga, in those 10 tournaments, won 20 games. This means they are outperforming other teams that got the same seed they did which suggests they may actually be getting underrated by the selection committee.

I read it how you intended it and I find it to be a really cool stat

I read it how you intended it and I find it to be a really cool stat
I'm a transplant from Illinois to Spokane and used to think the same about Gonzaga. And it was mostly true 10 years ago. They are a big fish in a small pond in the WCC, but over the years, my impression has changed about them. Their recruiting classes have been exceptional over the last 5 years and they really are that good despite their weak conference. They beat Washington, Texas A&M and Arizona in true road games, And, I know the WCC teams are not world beaters, but Gonzaga has won 34 straight conference games. That is difficult to do. There proven track record playing Power 5 conferences in the NCAA tourney are undeniable.

On the bright side, I attended the Illinois vs Gonzaga game here in 2013 with Brandon Paul, DJ Richardson and Tracy Abrams and that was a special win. I think they have only loss in the Kennel 9 or 10 times all time. Go Illini!

Not that I am seeing, Illinois a 5 and OSU a 6 (and Iowa a 4...man I hope we beat them!)
Chambana13 was right. It changed - to be expected - in the 3 hours between when the two of you visited the web site.

However, the point is that IL has consistently improved.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
There are so many brackets that are being incorrectly reported on BracketMatrix. BM webpage will have Illinois as an 7 seed on this bracket. Click on that website's bracket and it has Illinois as a 6 seed.

There are so many brackets that are being incorrectly reported on BracketMatrix. BM webpage will have Illinois as an 7 seed on this bracket. Click on that website's bracket and it has Illinois as a 6 seed.

Does the person who runs BracketMatrix manually check the brackets on each site, then enter the seeds into the matrix?

Each site recomputes ever so often - at least after each game is played across all D1 games. The numbers can and often do change every hour.

The best use that I have found is to look at the numbers for IL and IL's next opponent (home for one, away for the other).

It is only on the Sunday when they declare the actual brackets then one can compare the numbers on the web site to see how close they are to the real ones.

Does the person who runs BracketMatrix manually check the brackets on each site, then enter the seeds into the matrix?

Typically one writes a web crawler and then parses the info obtained. That is what Google does to gather the info it needs.

Plenty of crawlers out there

Numbers for IL:

Pre-Michigan
1580486932916.png

post-Michigan
1580486967240.png

pre_Minnesota
1580487013847.png

post-Minnesota
1580487041715.png

@Iowa is within grasp.

Last edited:
On February 8th (I think) there is a top 16 seeding release like they've done in recent years. Katz thinks Illinois could be a 4 seed in that when it comes out. But Katz seems higher on ILL than any other media person.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
I'm on record as January comes to a close declaring:

1. I'll take our projected 5-5 record the rest of the way in the regular season
2. I'll gladly take 21-10 and 13-7 --- likely giving us a two-game BYE in the Big 10 tourney
3. I'll be content with 1-1 in the Big Ten Tournament
4. This should yield a 4, 5 or 6 seed in the NCAA tourney and give us a relative "peer game" in Round 2, with a 50/50 shot at making the Sweet 16

Then we toss the dice and everything else is gravy ---- in year 1 of our program turnaround. The Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games are prime-time viewing for HS basketball players who have yet to make their college decisions.

haasi

New York
Looks like we're projected to go 5-5 down the stretch of a brutal schedule with several difficult road games. Don't think I'd be upset with that. I'd love for us to get a top 4 seed in the BTT.
If we beat Iowa, my hopes and expectations take a significant uptick. Will take a massive performance to beat them at their place.
If we win, I start thinking it’s realistic for us to win the conference. If we lose, I’m right there with you. 5-4 the rest of the way. Double bye BTT, and hopefully a 6 or 7 seed in tourney.

either way is great compared to my preseason expectations- one is just total fantasy land, while the other is a really good year.

OSU higher than us?...
All of the computers still like OSU, they are ahead of us in NET and Kenpom. Humans forget out the nonconference schedule and devalue it because of how long ago it was. Computers don't.

It’s a shame, but doesn’t seem like Miami or Missouri have a realistic chance of bumping up a quadrant.

It’s a shame, but doesn’t seem like Miami or Missouri have a realistic chance of bumping up a quadrant.
Missouri is still a Q2 loss which isn’t killing us, the Miami loss is the bad one. Miami needs to move up 25 spots in NET for that loss to become a Q2 and it’s probably not going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.