New kickoff rules

Does anyone know what the new kickoff return rule is as far as fair catch?
I was already fired up about us feilding the kick at the 3. Later in the day I was watching another game. A player fair caught the kickoff on the one and they got possesion at the 25. The announcers said you don't have to be in the endzone to get it at the 25. That fired me up even more. I don't know the specific rule. But that sounds like something we should be doing about 1/2 the kickoffs.

I was already fired up about us feilding the kick at the 3. Later in the day I was watching another game. A player fair caught the kickoff on the one and they got possesion at the 25. The announcers said you don't have to be in the endzone to get it at the 25. That fired me up even more. I don't know the specific rule. But that sounds like something we should be doing about 1/2 the kickoffs.

Fair catch within the 25 yd line results in a touchback to the 25 yd line. Seems like a pretty big rule change our coaches should have emphasized.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL

Yup - any kickoff fair caught inside the 25 comes out to the 25.

What's the purpose for this change?

Safety. I think most analyses show that more injuries happen on kickoffs. So in theory, reduce the number of kickoffs, reduce injuries.

This is also why the nfl doesn’t allow the other ten players to run up with the kicker anymore. They stand stationary on the yard line of the kickoff and then start running once the ball is kicked.

Something too about if you catch it out of bounds then they get a 10 yd penalty (ball at 35 YD line)? I think that is what our guy was trying to do with that kickoff at the 3 yd line...he just failed???

Of course, what would the timing have to be to ctach something like that going out of bounds without having a foot in bounds??? And then would that ball have went out of bounds anyway?

Leman said the player should have his foot out of bounds when he catches it to get the penalty. I imagine if a player catches it with his foot out of bounds, it doesn't leave to chance the ball landing in bounds and taking a crazy bounce into the end zone.