News-Gazette: Brad Underwood cleared in DIA Investigation into his coaching

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Looking back, you wish this wouldn't have had to happen this way. But I applaud Whitman on how he has handled this. By helping the Smith transfer go through and to get him eligible right away, I have to think helped keep this out of the press. If Smith had to sit out and made a stink of this to the media, BU would have been guilty in the court of public opinion and the program could not have come out of it looking good.

Looking back, you wish this wouldn't have had to happen this way. But I applaud Whitman on how he has handled this. By helping the Smith transfer go through and to get him eligible right away, I have to think helped keep this out of the press. If Smith had to sit out and made a stink of this to the media, BU would have been guilty in the court of public opinion and the program could not have come out of it looking good.
I honestly don't understand the point of making kids sit a year (other than 'punishment' for transferring). I think having MS sit out a year would've made him a better player in the long term, which is worse for us. I get that the NCAA probably shouldn't remove the transfer rule in total, but still, don't really get it.

Deleted member 29907

D
I honestly don't understand the point of making kids sit a year (other than 'punishment' for transferring). I think having MS sit out a year would've made him a better player in the long term, which is worse for us. I get that the NCAA probably shouldn't remove the transfer rule in total, but still, don't really get it.
I am not so sure its punishment as it is - "Are you serious about this enough to sit out a year?" Instant play would be a bit of a calamity in my opinion and we'd get the College version of High School basketball musical chairs with everyone is either trying to get on 'The Team' or trying to find an instant playing slot somewhere. It might cause an extended version of 1 and done (albeit to another team and not the NBA). I don't see that type of shuffling to benefit the overall play of the game. At least the sit out year lets the player get accustomed to the new team and way of playing.

That being said, a coaching change should allow no sit out year.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I am not so sure its punishment as it is - "Are you serious about this enough to sit out a year?" Instant play would be a bit of a calamity in my opinion and we'd get the College version of High School basketball musical chairs with everyone is either trying to get on 'The Team' or trying to find an instant playing slot somewhere. It might cause an extended version of 1 and done (albeit to another team and not the NBA). I don't see that type of shuffling to benefit the overall play of the game. At least the sit out year lets the player get accustomed to the new team and way of playing.

That being said, a coaching change should allow no sit out year.

I have (what I think) is the perfect fix for the transfer rule.

Who’s job do I need to take in the NCAA to change policy?

On topic: I am glad the players are rallying around BU. And I really hope we have a fire next year at BR where we just absolutely DOMINATE Mark Smith and keep him from scoring even 1 point.

The crush should make a chant for him. There has to be a good way to incorporate a treadmill into the game somehow each time smith touches the ball.

but still, don't really get it.

Officially, the NCAA gives this reason:
"Transfer rules safeguard the process and help student-athletes make rational decisions about the best place to pursue an education and compete in their sport. This is important, as student-athletes who transfer are less likely to earn a degree than those who remain at their original school. The transfer process also protects student-athletes who have chosen a school from ongoing recruiting attempts and third-party interference. "

The real reason is of course, money. In today's landscape, I think the ideas on transfers is antiquated, but the NCAA, (and you're going to laugh at this,) thought it would keep the sport clean by preventing players being enticed to move programs by people behind the scenes. Like say for example, Mark Smith. In any case, I think this sort of thing will evolve, Loyalty is a two-way street, and programs want loyal athletes....so there needs to be some counter-balance that satisfies all parties (fans, schools, conferences, athletes). Right now, there's probably a fair amount of P5 schools poaching smaller schools, for example, but that's what the big boys do because the market at larger schools demands it. Not sure where it will end up, but I don't expect a total free-for-all 5 years from now, nor that the current penalties stay as they are.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I have (what I think) is the perfect fix for the transfer rule.

Who’s job do I need to take in the NCAA to change policy?

On topic: I am glad the players are rallying around BU. And I really hope we have a fire next year at BR where we just absolutely DOMINATE Mark Smith and keep him from scoring even 1 point.

The crush should make a chant for him. There has to be a good way to incorporate a treadmill into the game somehow each time smith touches the ball.

IDKWMSI might have an upset tummy and miss the game...

NOTEBOOK: Martin takes strong stance in support of Underwood

Martin concluded his thoughts on the subject with a strong backing of his friend and coaching fraternity colleague.

“Let me say this: If Brad Underwood changes who he is, there’s gonna be a lot of unhappy players in that locker room because they didn’t sign up to come here and be coddled. They signed up to come here, be competitive and become better men.”

https://247sports.com/college/illin...f-Illini-head-coach-Brad-Underwood-131265839/

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

Martin concluded his thoughts on the subject with a strong backing of his friend and coaching fraternity colleague.

“Let me say this: If Brad Underwood changes who he is, there’s gonna be a lot of unhappy players in that locker room because they didn’t sign up to come here and be coddled. They signed up to come here, be competitive and become better men.”

https://247sports.com/college/illin...f-Illini-head-coach-Brad-Underwood-131265839/

lstewart53x3

Scottsdale, Arizona

For anyone wondering: the article is referencing Frank Martin, not Cuonzo Martin.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

Haha! I love it!! The people who (not so) secretly want this all to blow up in BU's face are forced back into their moldy swamp of negativity by all the players and everyone intimately associated with the man!

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Haha! I love it!! The people who (not so) secretly want this all to blow up in BU's face are forced back into their moldy swamp of negativity by all the players and everyone intimately associated with the man!

Oh relax.

All I want is for Illinois to win and I am embarrassingly morally negotiable as to how.

Having said that, sports is weeding out the likes of Frank Martin one by one and will be considerably better for it.

Oh relax.

All I want is for Illinois to win and I am embarrassingly morally negotiable as to how.

Having said that, sports is weeding out the likes of Frank Martin one by one and will be considerably better for it.

Coach K, Izzo, Martin, no doubt many others, so who is it that you say is being weeded out. So you think the more PC, the better.....interesting.

Officially, the NCAA gives this reason:
"Transfer rules safeguard the process and help student-athletes make rational decisions about the best place to pursue an education and compete in their sport. This is important, as student-athletes who transfer are less likely to earn a degree than those who remain at their original school. The transfer process also protects student-athletes who have chosen a school from ongoing recruiting attempts and third-party interference. "

The real reason is of course, money. In today's landscape, I think the ideas on transfers is antiquated, but the NCAA, (and you're going to laugh at this,) thought it would keep the sport clean by preventing players being enticed to move programs by people behind the scenes. Like say for example, Mark Smith. In any case, I think this sort of thing will evolve, Loyalty is a two-way street, and programs want loyal athletes....so there needs to be some counter-balance that satisfies all parties (fans, schools, conferences, athletes). Right now, there's probably a fair amount of P5 schools poaching smaller schools, for example, but that's what the big boys do because the market at larger schools demands it. Not sure where it will end up, but I don't expect a total free-for-all 5 years from now, nor that the current penalties stay as they are.

Yeah, allowing kids that have gotten their degrees to transfer without limitation is the problem, not Nike, other shoe/apparel companies and their weaselly partners in college hoops. Wow, just wow.

frank martin is a bully. let's hope he's not the reason bu succeeds but rather changes tactics.

Oh relax.

giphy.gif