News-Gazette: Brad Underwood cleared in DIA Investigation into his coaching

An alternative take: I think MS (and dad) were mad he wasn't the featured player and pg with the ball in his hands running the offense, even though he failed to win that job despite given every opportunity. To make sure he didn't have to sit out his transfer year, they went with the 'abusive environment' story. Which if so is selfish, petty, vindictive and amoral. Either way, he's a punk, and his dad too, and they deserve all the verbal abuse our fans can rain down upon them.

I think I’m forced to agree with Berg88. Initially, conduct an in-house investigation. If such investigation concludes that inappropriate conduct occurred, there is likely no need for further investigation, in-house or otherwise. Take corrective action.

On the other hand, if an in-house investigation concludes that no misconduct occurred, then as further confirmation refer the matter out for an independent investigation. (Who could take issue with institutional efforts in such instance ?) Absent such an independent investigation, doubts will always linger about the integrity of an internal investigation.

Aren't we typically suspicious of the conclusions of such in-house scrutiny ? Haven’t we seen, over and over again, how in-house investigations turned out to be, in effect, “whitewashes” ?

Finally, before fingers are pointed, just what is the proof of the origin or origins of such accusations ?

Last edited:
Well, as if on cue . . .

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...ke-between-ad-faculty-pair-hints-tension.html

To be clear, I haven’t a clue whether any misconduct occurred and I certainly don’t mean to imply any misconduct or incompetence by those involved in an internal investigation. But in this public relations day and age, the public perception is as important as the reality and any in-house investigation which concludes that no misconduct occurred is bound to be viewed with suspicion and leave lingering doubts, not only with respect to the results but also with the University’s commitment to acknowledge and rectify misconduct. In short, giving the University a black eye regardless of the reality.

All of which could largely be countered by additionally commissioning an independent, out-of-house investigation if an in-house investigation concludes that no misconduct occurred.

Well, as if on cue . . .

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/lo...ke-between-ad-faculty-pair-hints-tension.html

To be clear, I haven’t a clue whether any misconduct occurred and I certainly don’t mean to imply any misconduct or incompetence by those involved in an internal investigation. But in this public relations day and age, the public perception is as important as the reality and any in-house investigation which concludes that no misconduct occurred is bound to be viewed with suspicion and leave lingering doubts, not only with respect to the results but also with the University’s commitment to acknowledge and rectify misconduct. In short, giving the University a black eye regardless of the reality.

All of which could largely be countered by additionally commissioning an independent, out-of-house investigation if an in-house investigation concludes that no misconduct occurred.
Feels quaint imagining something like this would cause a black eye on the program or university, or leave lingering doubts in the minds of anyone who matters -- even if the alleged incidents were affirmed, but certainly not when they've been repudiated -- what with our one-hour news cycle and the times we happen to be living in, which I like to call "post-ethical."

Deleted member 29907

D
Probably too much of an inside joke. This is "Treadmill Horse" he's(she?) an icon at Virginia Tech. (It's actually footage from Virginia Tech's Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center). Does't seem to mind the treadmill as much as one of our soft past players...

As an aside: Its an example of game hype - they play a video of this on the jumbotron during football games and the crowd goes wild. I've used this as one example of how we need to revisit our game experiences - ie. entry song, game time videos, etc. It's crazy what can take off - just like their furry animal mascot (hey, wait!).

Probably too much of an inside joke. This is "Treadmill Horse" he's(she?) an icon at Virginia Tech. (It's actually footage from Virginia Tech's Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center). Does't seem to mind the treadmill as much as one of our soft past players...

As an aside: Its an example of game hype - they play a video of this on the jumbotron during football games and the crowd goes wild. I've used this as one example of how we need to revisit our game experiences - ie. entry song, game time videos, etc. It's crazy what can take off - just like their furry animal mascot (hey, wait!).

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 7.27.39 AM.png

Seems like this is turning into a blessing in disguise. Many players have publicly supported BU, and it’s not just guys who got 20+ mpg. This should bring the team even closer together and make them even more focused on getting better.

The braggin rights game could get very interesting next year.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
I can’t help but think that Clownzo endorsed his “airing of grievances.” I’m not suggesting he put him up to it, but I would be surprised if he didn’t see an obvious advantage in having it come out. I only hope the backlash dampens any perceived benefit.

Was just listening to Loren Tate's sports talk. There are a lot of folks talking about this that will never be able to communicate with each other on this. If you are 50+ and played sports at a pretty high level, you will never be able to trade thoughts with somebody less than 30 or somebody that never played sports.

My high school basketball coach told us we should be happy when he was yelling at us. You should be worried if he wasn't yelling at you.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Nice to see Izzo chiming in.

Link?

Well, as if on cue . . .

Another nothing article. This is screaming more that LeRoy and Raycraft were butt hurt they weren’t kept in the loop. Plus most of the accusations were freakin recanted. And as a cherry on top, the accusers have “photos and other materials” but chose not to show it. If there was real misconduct and you have freaking proof, SHOW IT. Justice would demand that sort of thing to protect other players.

Just a bunch of smoke. Show me some fire and real damage and I’ll call for BU’s head.

I will no longer simply root for Mark Smith to do poorly because he is a Tiger. I now want him to door poorly in all aspects of basketball. He and his family are messing with a man’s livlihood and reputation, all because he sucked as a freshman in BU’s system. We are done with you, Mark, be done with us.

Last edited:
jrichisamazing —

I certainly hope you’re right.

Again, what the faculty members seem to be focusing on is the process. And in my humble opinion, I think they’re right — the process is open to criticism.

Implement a process in which if an initial in-house investigation concludes that no misconduct occurred, an independent investigation is (assuming the initial complaint or complaints aren’t withdrawn or abandoned) automatically commissioned (no “ifs, ands or buts”, no discretion, no one is put on the hot seat of having to make a judgment call on the matter) which reviews not only the original complaint(s) but the in-house investigation.

Well, I've had my say. Time to let others chime in.

illiniCA

DC Area
jrichisamazing —

I certainly hope you’re right.

Again, what the faculty members seem to be focusing on is the process. And in my humble opinion, I think they’re right — the process is open to criticism.

Implement a process in which if an initial in-house investigation concludes that no misconduct occurred, an independent investigation is (assuming the initial complaint or complaints aren’t withdrawn or abandoned) automatically commissioned (no “ifs, ands or buts”, no discretion, no one is put on the hot seat of having to make a judgment call) which reviews not only the original complaint(s) but the in-house investigation.

Well, I've had my say. Time to let others chime in.

What is the point of an internal investigation if you are always going to go outside?

illiniCA

DC Area
Link?

Another nothing article. This is screaming more that LeRoy and Raycraft were butt hurt they weren’t kept in the loop. Plus most of the accusations were freakin recanted. And as a cherry on top, the accusers have “photos and other materials” but chose not to show it. If there was real misconduct and you have freaking proof, SHOW IT. Justice would demand that sort of thing to protect other players.

Just a bunch of smoke. Show me some fire and real damage and I’ll call for BU’s head.

I will no longer simply root for Mark Smith to do poorly because he is a Tiger. I now want him to door poorly in all aspects of basketball. He and his family are messing with a man’s livlihood and reputation, all because he sucked as a freshman in BU’s system. We are done with you, Mark, be done with us.

There is no reason to worry about mark smith. He’s a blip on the radar.

illiniCA —

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. To clarify, under my scenario, you only go “out-of-house” if an initial in-house investigation concludes that no misconduct occurred. If the in-house review concludes that misconduct did, indeed, take place, the process would not automatically provide for an independent investigation.