NFL Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
2019 schedule announced tonight. Here's how it looks for the Bears:

D4ZMnN6XkAYqDBP.jpg

They'll have 5 games in primetime. Bears only have 7 games currently announced as noon kick-offs which will certainly be a change from recent years.

Shane Walsh

aka "Captain Oblivious"
Cynthiana, Kentucky
Vegas will give you an over of 9.5. 13-3 would take a lot of things going right. 10-6 might be more realistic. There will always be a bone headed loss on the road and don't overlook the new coach in Denver, who might know a few things about stopping the Bears offense. Also, how do we feel about the kicking game?

Vegas will give you an over of 9.5. 13-3 would take a lot of things going right. 10-6 might be more realistic. There will always be a bone headed loss on the road and don't overlook the new coach in Denver, who might know a few things about stopping the Bears offense. Also, how do we feel about the kicking game?

I agree. I could see the Bears being a better team with a worse record. They played the easiest schedule in the league last year. This schedule is quite a bit more difficult. I could see 9 or 10 wins.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I agree. I could see the Bears being a better team with a worse record. They played the easiest schedule in the league last year. This schedule is quite a bit more difficult. I could see 9 or 10 wins.
Overall it is still a young team. They were VERY young last year, so a year of experience is going to do wonders. I think Trubisky is finally getting comfortable and is going to break through this year to become a top QB in the league. Loss of Fangio was big but Pagano is a good replacement. Defense should be just as good if not better.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
You never know how good or bad the teams are going to be before the season starts, but on its face it looks like a very difficult schedule to me. NFL teams in general like the noon Sunday kickoff regiment, and I don't like how the schedule falls with the three Thursday games, the trip to London, etc.

Admittedly, I didn't follow the NFL offseason, but after the conclusion to last season, how and why did whoever their GM is not acquire a semi-reliable kicker?

(Genuinely asking)

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Interesting, they play the whole NFC East, and AFC West.

illini80

Forgottonia
Admittedly, I didn't follow the NFL offseason, but after the conclusion to last season, how and why did whoever their GM is not acquire a semi-reliable kicker?

(Genuinely asking)
They’ve had a lot of tryouts, but honestly I don’t think they have anyone they are very impressed with. Could be a late signing after rosters are cut down.

They’ve had a lot of tryouts, but honestly I don’t think they have anyone they are very impressed with. Could be a late signing after rosters are cut down.

Maybe Paul Edinger is around somewhere.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Kevin White was released by the Cardinals. Wonder if this is the end of the line for him.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Well, how about that. Was really looking forward to see Luck light it up this season. Oh well. He must have checked his bank account and decided he has enough to live on for him and his family. It into the politics for him.

He must have checked his bank account and decided he has enough to live on for him and his family.

He's made over $100 million in his career. His wife (who he just got married to within the past 6 months) is pregnant with their first child. And he has an architecture degree from Stanford. If you had gotten has beat up as he has in his career and had all that going on in your life, it would only be a matter of time before you decided to leave if you didn't have the desire to play football anymore.

Good God the colts fans booing him as he walked off the field.

You think that's bad? You should check out Dan Dakich's twitter feed. I used to defend him because he had to deal with delusional IU and Purdue fans on his midday sports talk show in Indy but anymore now he just picks fights and trolls on twitter and feeds into the meatball fans that like his show. This Luck retirement story has fit a narrative that Dakich has been running with for a couple of years now about Luck and Luck doing what he did has now led the narrative to coming to fruition.

He's made over $100 million in his career. His wife (who he just got married to within the past 6 months) is pregnant with their first child. And he has an architecture degree from Stanford. If you had gotten has beat up as he has in his career and had all that going on in your life, it would only be a matter of time before you decided to leave if you didn't have the desire to play football anymore.

He also comes from a successful, comfortable family. His father has been a sports executive both for collegiate and professional organizations and is the new commissioner of the XFL.

Football, by the way, is a very bad bet financially, compared to other professional sports. The playing careers are shorter, the contracts aren’t guaranteed, and the health risks are far higher.

So, if Luck can walk away with his health and a relatively fixed financial future, good for him! Most guys don’t get that opportunity.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
He also comes from a successful, comfortable family. His father has been a sports executive both for collegiate and professional organizations and is the new commissioner of the XFL.

Football, by the way, is a very bad bet financially, compared to other professional sports. The playing careers are shorter, the contracts aren’t guaranteed, and the health risks are far higher.

So, if Luck can walk away with his health and a relatively fixed financial future, good for him! Most guys don’t get that opportunity.
Yep. He's 29 and set for life. I'd do the same if I were in his shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.