NFL Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Vikings won't be playing for anything but pride next week.

I can't imagine they'll be playing any starters next week since they can't move beyond the #6 spot. The Bears have a chance to sweep the Vikings, but I wouldn't put it past them to blow it against the Vikings B squad either

Deleted member 645583

D
I know what I really want to say, but I won't say it. But the Bears stink against Viking backups. So sad; doesn't look good for next season, unfortunately.

Dick Stockton is bad, but the Bears offense is worse.

Blah end to a blah, if not disappointing, season.

A last second FG to get a 2 point win against the Vikings B squad.

Trubisky throws the ball almost 40 times and barely surpasses 200 yards - again, facing the Vikings B squad.

Unacceptable season. This honest-to-god might be the worst 8-8 team ever.

Deleted member 645583

D
Watching Comcast "Football Aftershow" with Alex Brown, Lance Briggs, Matt Forte. They spoke highly of Coach Lovie (what else are they gonna do on live electrical television?). But they were sincere and they were frank about the Bears and Mitch.

I think there has to be a major change, such as the McCaskeys selling the team. New blood. Go for the Packers' model maybe?

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Watching Comcast "Football Aftershow" with Alex Brown, Lance Briggs, Matt Forte. They spoke highly of Coach Lovie (what else are they gonna do on live electrical television?). But they were sincere and they were frank about the Bears and Mitch.

I think there has to be a major change, such as the McCaskeys selling the team. New blood. Go for the Packers' model maybe?
The McCaskeys will never sell the Bears. The franchise is the only source of their family wealth. Basically another pathetic performance yesterday against Viking reserves. This offense is no better than what we saw under John Fox. I would like to see Pace fired but he will be back I'm sure. There are more holes to fill in this offense than a block of Swiss cheese. By position, I'm sure Trubisky will get another full year to prove himself. Montgomery was a mixed bag this season. Cohen should be used in the slot or as a third down back, not running the ball between the tackles on first or second down. They need three linemen. Whitehair is a keeper, Daniels will start again next year but has been pretty spotty in his two seasons. They need at least two decent tight ends. Robinson is a solid receiver, but his numbers were inflated since he was the only option in the passing game this year. He was billed as a burner when they signed him but is more of a medium range possession guy now. Gabriel has had so many concussions I wonder if he will play any more. Wims and Ridley just look like placeholders. Miller shows promise at times but isn't a good route runner. So they need to add a couple receivers, hopefully one that is a deep threat. Too much to get done in one offseason. Only hope is that a lot of these guys take a big step forward in their development this year. It will be interesting to see what they do at linebacker too. I think Travathan and Kwiatkowski will be free agents.

Last edited:

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
For anyone looking forward to next season, besides the six games against divisional foes the Bears will play the NFC South, the AFC South, the Rams, and the Giants.

Deleted member 645583

D
Sitting here, thinking back to the good old days: 1985-86 and the QB that team had. What a sheer winner he was! And Ditka! Best team (at least defense) of all time. Offense was pretty good, too. Why go crazy scoring when you know your defense is great? You shut out two teams in playoffs on the way to the massacre of the Patriots. Man. I'm living in the past, but it helps me deal with today and tomorrow and what could be. Bear Down! Gee, 1986! I was 35! Are we gonna have a champion team in the time remaining for me? Hope so.

I did the math: I was 35 in 1986; now I'm 68. Way too long between championships.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna pile on the offensive ineptitude some more: The Bears didn’t have a single TE over 100 yards receiving for the year.

JP Holtz led all Bears TEs with 91 yards.

That’s...really pathetic.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Sitting here, thinking back to the good old days: 1986 and the QB that team had. What a sheer winner he was! Best team (at least defense) of all time. Offense was pretty good, too. Why go crazy scoring when you know your defense is great? You shut out two teams in playoffs on the way to the massacre of the Patriots. Man. I'm living in the past, but it helps me deal with today and tomorrow and what could be. Bear Down! Gee, 1986! I was 35! Are we gonna have a champion team in the time remaining for me? Hope so.

I did the math: I was 35 in 1986; now I'm 68. Way too long between championships.
That was the 85 season but yes the Superbowl was in '86. 34 years ago. I was 8.

Deleted member 645583

D
That was the 85 season but yes the Superbowl was in '86. 34 years ago. I was 8.
I edited to 85-86 season. Thanks for your help, friend. But I was too late to mention 1963 Bears beating up Y.A. Tittle at Wrigley Field! I remember it vividly: cold as anything, but a sunny day.

But the fact remains: only two NFL championships in my lifetime. It's very sad some Bears' fans haven't any.

I mean, what else is Pace going to say here? He staked his job on Trubisky trading up for him and I think it'll lead to an inevitable firing after next season.

As long as he doesn’t exercise the team option for a 5th year or - God forbid! - extend him.

They’re not going to fire Nagy with a 20-12 record after two years and all the years and money left on his contract. I don’t like the idea of bringing in a new GM without letting him bring in a new coach. I’m not sure how much the GM could even accomplish without a first round draft pick.

So Pace, Nagy and Mitch will all be back. They might say Mitch is the starter going into next year, but they have to bring in someone else capable of starting if Mitch falters.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Well the BS was predictably flowing at the Nagy/Pace end-of-year presser this morning. Besides the inevitable doubling down on Mitch (the only thing he needs to work on is reading defenses-Duh), my favorite was lauding the versatility of Leonard Floyd. I agree. He is very versatile in that he lacks production in many different areas. Oh yeah and Sheheen will be back in camp next year.

I don’t know who had offensive game planning responsibilities, but whomever it was, Helfrich or otherwise, deserved to be canned. The Bears were dead last in the league in first half points, only 7.3 a game. Almost half of what they scored last year.

The Bears were still not good - tied for 20th in the league - in 2nd half points with 10.2. But that’s at least competitive.

Tells me they were coming in without a workable game plan in way too many games, and then doing some adequate halftime adjustments.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Basically the offensive coordinator, offensive line coach, and tight ends coach got canned. Is it personnel or coaching? You decide. Was Helfrich doing any of the play calling?

Status
Not open for further replies.