Nnanna Egwu named to the B1G All-Defensive Team

New York
for all frosh team, russell, trimble, and blackmon are all obvious.

some contenders for the last two spots: mcintosh and law, edwards, haas, robert johnson, dawkins

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a minority here, but not a big fan of Newbill.

Do you think you would like him if you were a Penn State fan? I think I would love how hard he works and how passionate he is no matter how badly that team is doing. The chip on his shoulder keeps his motor running, and he's got serious skills.

Do you think you would like him if you were a Penn State fan? I think I would love how hard he works and how passionate he is no matter how badly that team is doing. The chip on his shoulder keeps his motor running, and he's got serious skills.

Do Wisconsin fans like Dekker? Do Nebraska fans like Petteway? Of course, all fans like their own, and Newbill is a good player :D

I may be biased, but I am not sure if we had Newbill rather than Rice we would be much better. Saying that I am not a big fan of Newbill does not mean that he is not a good player for his team. Newbill is a good player.

Ray is clearly better than most players on that list. Just wish he wouldn't have been injured :(

No doubt, he is better than several guys named on the three teams. I personally, think the suspension hurts him more than the injury. Also surprised Hayes of Wisconsin didn't get more recognition.

Logan Square, Chicago
Dawkins gets my vote to go on the frosh team

Do Wisconsin fans like Dekker? Do Nebraska fans like Petteway? Of course, all fans like their own, and Newbill is a good player :D

I may be biased, but I am not sure if we had Newbill rather than Rice we would be much better. Saying that I am not a big fan of Newbill does not mean that he is not a good player for his team. Newbill is a good player.

I'm probably biased too, in that I've seen RR a whole lot more than Newbill, but my impression is that if Newbill is better than Ray offensively (a pretty big if to me), he's not enough better to offset Ray's clear advantage defensively. Ray may be the better rebounder too, though I'm not certain enough of that and too lazy to look it up. I'll take RR.

Chicago, IL
Congrats Egwu!

Rockford, Illinois
Honors show on BTN right now. No surprise, Kaminsky=POY. Purdue's Raphael Davis = Defensive POY. Nnanna on all-defensive team.

Last edited:
New York
that's great to see. congrats nnanna. well deserved. that defensive team looks pretty right to me - a frightening lineup.

Decatur, IL
Was Ray excluded from these awards for missing too many games? Just my opinion, I would have had him on the list over Gasser.

New York
No Illini on 1st 2nd or 3rd teams, media or coaches.

honestly, it sounds about right. if rice plays all season and we go 11-7, rice is on second team and maybe hill on third. but our best player being out for half the conference season eliminated him and our mediocre season eliminated much chance of recognition for others. glad egwu got all defense. in coaches poll at least, Hill and Rice both deservingly got HM

honestly, it sounds about right. if rice plays all season and we go 11-7, rice is on second team and maybe hill on third. but our best player being out for half the conference season eliminated him and our mediocre season eliminated much chance of recognition for others. glad egwu got all defense. in coaches poll at least, Hill and Rice both deservingly got HM

I respectively disagree....9 teams had there team's best player on one of these 3 teams....to say that ray is less than any teams 2d or 3rd player is total BS...if they didn't think he qualified due to injury, he wouldn't have landed on HM...total BS, IMO.

Ray Rice got robbed. His PER is 30, which is exceptional by any standard. You can make an argument for second team, but third team at the very minimum.

I respectively disagree....9 teams had there team's best player on one of these 3 teams....to say that ray is less than any teams 2d or 3rd player is total BS...if they didn't think he qualified due to injury, he wouldn't have landed on HM...total BS, IMO.

Coach's selections always involve a lot of politics. Let's wait and see what the media selections do.

New York

i think it's saying something that ray was good enough in 9 games to earn HM.

i think they look at two things when they come up with these rankings: 1) how good is the player; 2) what did the player accomplish this year (both individually and in terms of contributing to team success).

when a guy is injured half the season, the answers to questions 1 and 2 are very different.

with a guy like rice, they say - he's a 1st team all conference talent, and he was fabulous in the 9 games he played. on the talent side, he's a first teamer. on the accomplishment side, he played half a season and illinois wasn't great. ray's total conference contributions were limited because he missed half the conference season. you look at those two things, you split the difference, and ray comes out HM even if his total body of work in 9 games probably did not quite match the total body of work of other HM guys in 18 games. i guess you could look at something like conference win shares (i don't have access to that stat, it might be on kenpom. i just see total season win shares at http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-ten/2015-stats.html, in which ray did pretty well despite playing 1/3 fewer games than others).

(side note: with a guy like newbill, the calculation is like this: he's a first team all conference talent, but his team didn't actually do that much - therefore we can't really credit him with any great accomplishments so we knock him down to 2nd team.)