No bowl for Illinois (Bowl Projections)

If for NO OTHER REASON, it could mean I get to watch another Illinois football game. God help me, I hope we get a bowl.

For those of you with too much pride, watch a movie that day.

I get that the team will be granted 10 extra practices, I get that the band will receive a trip to support the team, and I also get that the players are not making the ridiculous decisions about the future of Illinois football. However, have some pride, and recognize they do not deserve a bowl bid, and respectfully decline.
Seems to me this is the very definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Little Rock, Arkansas
Yeah, I definitely don't agree that a 5-7 subpar Illinois team should get invited to a bowl. But, if the NCAA/sponsors are dumb enough to allow a situation where we WOULD get invited...well, you take that 10 times out of 10, my friend.

If for NO OTHER REASON, it could mean I get to watch another Illinois football game. God help me, I hope we get a bowl.

Haha, ironically, I want a bowl game for every reason BUT getting to watch. I'd probably have to turn it off after third down stops because I just can't watch our ST/O anymore without getting angry. And envisioning more of that for a year or two will drive my insane.

hahaha! thats good.

This team is good enough to be a bowl team. They were one fumble away from knocking off a potential playoff team ON THE ROAD.

Love the idea of extra practice. Gotta keep those fingers loose to catch passes!

Seniors deserve it.

Whiners got nothing.

Charleston, IL
I'm an Air Force Alum and would love that game.
As am I as well, when Air Force played Illinois in the 2006 NCAA tourney. I was torn as to who should I root for! I think it would be a great game, triple option vs the spread.

Little Rock, Arkansas
As am I as well, when Air Force played Illinois in the 2006 NCAA tourney. I was torn as to who should I root for! I think it would be a great game, triple option vs the spread.
I was at Clune where we watched that game the same night recognition started my 4 degree year. I was one of 3 cadets who cheered every time Illinois scored. I highlighted myself to the upperclassmen and since recognition started literally right after the game, things got rough!

It was worth it, though, for my Illini!

Some say B1G is reluctant to send the same team to same area in consecutive years. If so, Fort Worth may not be an option for Illinois. However the Quick lane bowl in Detroit actually is much higher on the pecking order than Armed services bowl and they may want a team with a better following? I don't know how much pull Delaney has in where teams end up? Or if the bowl itself has the upper hand.

Some say B1G is reluctant to send the same team to same area in consecutive years. If so, Fort Worth may not be an option for Illinois. However the Quick lane bowl in Detroit actually is much higher on the pecking order than Armed services bowl and they may want a team with a better following? I don't know how much pull Delaney has in where teams end up? Or if the bowl itself has the upper hand.
What does everyone think our chances are getting a bid over Rice? I would like to think we have a better chance getting a Detroit bid than a Texas bid, just due to travel.

Our schedule did us no favors.... if we had played Wisky schedule and gone 7-5 with Rutgers at home instead of OSU and Maryland on the road instead of Penn State how different would the fan base feel? The B1G brass does Illinois no favors.

Our schedule did us no favors.... if we had played Wisky schedule and gone 7-5 with Rutgers at home instead of OSU and Maryland on the road instead of Penn State how different would the fan base feel? The B1G brass does Illinois no favors.
While the scheduling gripe is true, we dug our own grave by having no offense this year.

With respect to your question, I would feel just as hopeless if we had the same cubit "extension" play out the way it has with 5 wins.

Our offense struggled scoring for sure. It was able to move the football at times and it was not helped by playing the following defenses:
Wisky #4
NW #7
OSU #8
PSU #14 Minn #25

Like I said , give us wisky schedule and we trade OSU for 108th ranked D in Rutgers and trade PSU for the 50th ranked D in Maryland

Our offense struggled scoring for sure. It was able to move the football at times and it was not helped by playing the following defenses:
Wisky #4
NW #7
OSU #8
PSU #14 Minn #25

Like I said , give us wisky schedule and we trade OSU for 108th ranked D in Rutgers and trade PSU for the 50th ranked D in Maryland
Their offenses managed to score enough against our pretty highly ranked defense too. We're most likely going to a bowl anyways, unless either of two 20 point underdogs actually pull off the upset or a bowl chooses Rice over us.

Cary, IL
Wisky #4
NW #7
OSU #8
PSU #14 Minn #25

Oh, and we could also trade Wisc for UI....:D