No fans at NCAA Tournament, B1G Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh the good ol days of refreshing box scores

Actually I might prefer this over TV watching and empty arena and the only noise being squeaking shoes. The crowd/atmosphere is a big part of making the game enjoyable to watch.

ChiefIlliniwek

Omaha, Nebraska
I remember watching that 2015 White Sox game against the Orioles where no fans were allowed in. THAT was weird... but as a White Sox Fan, I'm used to watching my team play in front of very few fans. Watching a basketball game with no fans allowed in is going to be a LOT stranger than that.

It will be like going to a Miami Marlins baseball game.

I would think this could lead to more upsets, no? Kansas in Omaha, Gonzaga in Spokane, Duke in Greensboro lose a lot of crowd support in their early games.
Just the opposite. I've been going to the tournament for 30+ consecutive years. What happens is when the underdog starts winning, instead of 2,500 fans behind them, it turns into 20,000 fans behind them. The underdog gets a huge jolt and the favorite panics.

All things being equal now, the bigger, stronger, more talented team will prevail. The emotion will be sucked out of the game.

To me, it should be all or nothing. not looking out for the players safety?

DoctorOrange

Chicago, IL
As someone in the medical field, this is the right thing to do. Even if it's an overreaction or done out of an abundance of caution, you don't want to be looking 2 months in the future and wishing you had done differently.

As a fan this absolutely sucks. I have earnestly awaited Illinois's presence in the tourney for 7 years and now we're essentially only getting a partial tournament. I'm still going to watch and support our student athletes but this is beyond heartbreaking to have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.