No fans at NCAA Tournament, B1G Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, this is going to be a weird experience. It'll be like watching a game at the Y, just with better players and some dudes commentating on the game.
A friend and I at work were discussing this possibility and he said no fun for the players. I responded I have had a lot of fun in empty YMCA games. Will be interesting...for sure.

IlliniRunIn07

Tampa, FL
I am going to preface this with, I think this is the right call. I live within walking distance to Amalie Arena. I was so excited to cross off a bucket list item and see a couple March Madness games. I was absolutely giddy with the thought of them placing the Illini in Tampa. I'm really bummed out over this. Probably the right call, but it still sucks.

Anyway, it’s a bummer that our Illini can’t play in front of our fans, but hopefully these precautions end up being completely warranted in hindsight.
Consider the consequences of keeping everyone home and being wrong about it vs. going on as usual and being wrong about it. Even in hindsight, what will have mattered is making the right decision based on what we know today.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Let's mic up the new kingfisher and send it in. Perhaps we can attach speakers and program some automatic chants like "whose your daddy!" when Ayo makes a layup or Kofi makes a slam dunk.

I'm interested to see if they do anything creative on tv to keep fans interested. Obviously die hards will watch, but casual fans might not enjoy it without the crowd.

Maybe do an all access like our game against Penn St where both coaches are mic'd up. Something that makes it more than just a normal game.

I'm interested to see if they do anything creative on tv to keep fans interested. Obviously die hards will watch, but casual fans might not enjoy it without the crowd.

Maybe do an all access like our game against Penn St where both coaches are mic'd up. Something that makes it more than just a normal game.
Please god no

So I haven't read the already three page deep thread, but Illini related thoughts. This team seems to have almost zero correlation to fan based motivation, i.e. we don't seem to feed off energy from the crowd as much as most teams do at home (at least talking about the eye test).

Second, I'd imagine lack of energy probably favors defensive teams. I'm looking forward to vegas' reaction to this. Do they lower total lines? I think this is a net positive for us in terms of team success, but it probably isn't a ton and I might also be thinking too hard.

Govoner Vaugn Fan

New Orleans

Maybe do 'bar-cams' where potentially disease ridden fans who can't attend the games pack like sardines into sports bars to cheer their teams.

Since the dawn of time, we've been hearing about how practice reports mean nothing. A game without fans and essential personnel only is the closest to a practice like situation you'll get in game.

To this end, I expect Kipper to live up to his Jimmy Butler hype, maybe Alex Legion has a year left and can hit 100 3s in a row.

Literally just drive 4 1/2 hours and got to Indy to see this news. Why did they release a statement TODAY saying they were going ahead as scheduled, only to screw us at the last minute?

Literally just drive 4 1/2 hours and got to Indy to see this news. Why did they release a statement TODAY saying they were going ahead as scheduled, only to screw us at the last minute?

Ouch. They fully intended to go ahead but once the NCAA made that statement they had to act.

The flights and other things that go on everyday and if closed would have a much larger impact are still happening in this country.
My wife is a corporate travel agent and she has been dealing with flight cancellations all week. Two of her regular clients flew from, I think, St. Louis to Denver on Tuesday on a 737 and there were 16 passengers on board. People are not flying.

I think the CDC said there is evidence the virus only spreads after the first round of a tournament so waiting until after tonite to limit the number of people coming in contact with each other is obviously the safest choice.

They canceled while we were in the air from DC. At least it was easy to get right back on the same flight home at no extra charge. Boarding shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.