No fans at NCAA Tournament, B1G Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate all of this, it just sucks. Of course, that is me being very selfish. I actually think it's good for Illinois. We aren't phased on the road, and we don't play much differently at home. Maybe no fans in the building is the perfect match for this team? Who knows, it's gonna be super weird.

I agree. Mostly, I just don't understand how things could have changed that much in 3 1/2 hours from when they released the first statement.
Because if you are exposed and return home others you come into contact with can also be exposed. And the cycle repeats.

But they have the choice to assume the risk if they choose too. We post warnings on things for Cancer and so many things and people are allowed to make a choice and assume the risk or take steps to limit the risk or just not fly or attend. I dont know why people cant decide for themselves in this area too.
Because a person's choices can have dire implications for many other people
"The needs or the many have to take precedence over the needs of the one or the few"
I am really kind of down, It does not get any better than March Madness
One has to applaud the NCAA for making a difficult decision.
Going to be like watching practice.

illini80

Forgottonia
Will be a different experience for B10 teams and maybe an advantage to our opponents. We all are used to playing large arenas with lots of noise and energy. It may be tough for teams to get fired up with no noise. It’s good the B10 tourney will be a warm up for the NCAA’s.

Because if you are exposed and return home others you come into contact with can also be exposed. And the cycle repeats.
That was true at 3:00 pm today when they announced the tournament would go forward as planned with fans allowed. What changed from 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm. Why even bother making an announcement at 3:00 if you're just going to disregard it 210 minutes later? People rely on that information to make decisions.

One has to applaud the NCAA for making a difficult decision.

it's 3/4 of a difficult decision because everyone is still there tonite coughing on each other and licking each other's straws. A difficult decision would be to actually believe that the transmission of an outbreak doesn't care what day of the week it is or who is playing, and make the decision before the tournament starts.

That was true at 3:00 pm today when they announced the tournament would go forward as planned with fans allowed. What changed from 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm. Why even bother making an announcement at 3:00 if you're just going to disregard it 210 minutes later? People rely on that information to make decisions.
what changed is someone realized if they are the only one NOT making a gesture toward the virus, then they risk being fired when the smoke clears.

Illini_1979

Oregon
it's 3/4 of a difficult decision because everyone is still there tonite coughing on each other and licking each other's straws. A difficult decision would be to actually believe that the transmission of an outbreak doesn't care what day of the week it is or who is playing, and make the decision before the tournament starts.
WHAAAAA?

I’m taking graduate classes at UIC right now and I just got an email that all UI campuses are moving to online classes or alternative delivery mechanisms immediately with the goal of being in place by March 23. After spring break students have the option of studying from home (ie off campus).

I'm disappointed, too; my wife and I were going to attend one of the round 1 NCAA games where we live.
But the thought is that people in close contact with many others may contract the virus and that, some of those, who may not recognize their mild symptoms may, unknowingly, pass the virus along to others who will have a more severe reaction. And the virus spreads. Anyone visiting a loved one in an assisted care facility soon?

As someone in the medical field, this is the right thing to do. Even if it's an overreaction or done out of an abundance of caution, you don't want to be looking 2 months in the future and wishing you had done differently.
Agree with this, from NCAA point of view it also makes a lot of sense financially to limit risk. A few other posts talking about the money lost, imagine if they had a team exposed & had to cancel the tournament or the championship weekend had to be cancelled.

My wife has had the virus since our marriage. Not allowed in the bedroom.

Teams have to travel, eat and stay in motels. just not looking out for players
The players want to play! Even if they don't play the games the players will still be around people anywhere they are. This isn't more dangerous

Why don’t they play the final four game in Milan, Ind. Hoosiers. About the right size stadium. Sad in my opinion.

Soulberries

University of Illinois
I’m taking graduate classes at UIC right now and I just got an email that all UI campuses are moving to online classes or alternative delivery mechanisms immediately with the goal of being in place by March 23. After spring break students have the option of studying from home (ie off campus).

The University of Illinois has also announced that they are immediately migrating to all online classes with completion by 3/23. Students can study from home or their campus apts. The university will stay open, including residence & dining halls. All non-essential travel prohibited.

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
The players want to play! Even if they don't play the games the players will still be around people anywhere they are. This isn't more dangerous
The virus appears not to incapacitate young people, which is a blessing. The players will likely be fine. But they'll be carriers if infected, and many of them likely will be at some point. This thing will spread (well, is spreading as we speak) and will likely infect a great many of us within the next several weeks if not sooner. It's particularly dangerous for the middle-aged and older, and spread easily and quickly via crowds. No immunity to it yet as exists with normal flu strains.

It sucks for everyone concerned: fans, players, families. And it sucks for society broadly. Having read about what this does to the lungs if, like mine, they were compromised at some point via even mild asthma as a kid, I don't take this lightly. And I'm a very healthy, robust, 54-year-old guy. Was squatting over 400 last month and deadlifting nearly 500 before I was knocked out for several days with a mild virus. I'm a bit concerned; my medically-trained friends tell me that's wise.

It's only basketball. Let's make sure that we're all around to see the Illini win the conference a year from now. And let's make sure that our opponents' fans are around to shed copious, salty tears when the Illini defeat them. ;)

Finally, after H.S. I played rec ball into my 20s in front of no fans. And on playgrounds. Many of you did, too. Didn't for one moment diminish my competitiveness or fire to win. Can't imagine it will make a dent in the players' this week in Indy and on into the Dance.

IMHO. And ILL-

Status
Not open for further replies.