North Carolina 48, Illinois 23 POSTGAME

Dan

Admin
[youtube]UX5AKX8Fm2Q[/youtube]

:illinois:

Last edited:
Too many mistakes. Too many penalties, although I thought we got screwed on several calls. Lots to work on. Hopefully we respond this week in practice. Hopefully meggison is ok

Psycho 86

King Monkey Nut
Mooresville,Indiana
Lunt was awful....penalties galore......team was outclassed.... Lovies gotta lotta work to fix this mess.

Honestly, Sam Mays comes down with that perfectly thrown ball at the 1 yard line, and we're all having a different discussion. Lunt was abysmal tonight but his non-running game supporting staff was worse, did nothing to make this into a game.

peace davids

Colorado
Honestly, Sam Mays comes down with that perfectly thrown ball at the 1 yard line, and we're all having a different discussion. Lunt was abysmal tonight but his non-running game supporting staff was worse, did nothing to make this into a game.

I couldn't watch... was it that bad? What was the scenario?

The lack of discipline is what surprised me the most tonight. I know UNC is a good team but they flat out whooped us tonight. It's hard to see so many fans finally show up and leave so disappointed.

Said this at the end of the game thread, but it's not that we lost that bothers me. I expected that NC was the better team and that they would beat us. What bothers me is that a senior-laden team didn't force a good team to beat us. We were more than willing to beat ourselves. Disappointing especially with such a great opportunity to show that things had changed.

They haven't changed yet.

HoustonIllini

Houston, TX
Lunt did not cost us this game . . . stupid penalties (even in light of the ACC crew that didn't call shyte on NC). Dropped passes, some questionable play calling on offense a couple of times, poor tackling, and yes, some bad decisions on Lunt's part . . Those cost us the game. To lay it on the shoulders of Lunt is just not correct. Part of the problem, yes. But the team lost this game, not the QB.

Way too many mistakes to beat a solid team like NC. We needed to play near perfect to compete with a team like NC, and we didn't get it done.

Ryllini

Lombard
Penalties! Lunt didn't recover after his fumble, but I think the play calling after which did nothing to help him. Too many 1st and 2nd down run calls and then time to throw 3rd and 7. We were not screwed by the refs, one bad one that I saw, a non call on a Turner being held in a crucial point in the game. Our secondary is not that great. I posted most negatives here, it I think the positives are there. Enough for us to be really good, no, but after two games this arrow is pointing north. Let's hope this house is packed going forward. We are a part of this, and when we show up it helps.

The unforced mistakes are what bothers me, that is a repeat of the lack of discipline from the last several years. I think many of the other mistakes was due to UNC superior speed and talent. I said it in another thread, but I think we will see an upgrade talent via transfers. I don't see Lovie, Hardy, and McGee waiting for the increase in high school recruiting. I think we will be in the market for a 5th year QB transfer along with other skilled positions.

Lunt is who we thought he was. Puts up big numbers against terrible teams and is awful against solid teams. Definitely an unacceptable performance from a 5th year senior, captain, and however many year starter. I'm ready to look towards the future and give Crouch a shot. Maybe have an O'Toole effect.

Was definitely surprised by the complete lack of discipline. That game was essentially a Zook era special. The fans did their job tonight. The team and coaches didn't do theirs. Hopefully people don't jump off the bandwagon already.

SuperMetroid

Evanston
Said this at the end of the game thread, but it's not that we lost that bothers me. I expected that NC was the better team and that they would beat us. What bothers me is that a senior-laden team didn't force a good team to beat us. We were more than willing to beat ourselves. Disappointing especially with such a great opportunity to show that things had changed.

They haven't changed yet.

This x100.

We stood toe to toe with NC with the game plan.

Penalties-missed throws killed us.

Western Michigan is up next and that team is not one to overlook-They will give Illinois a tough game. Broncos beat NW this year week one.

NC has far superior talent. Lovie will need to get some in here, & I believe he will.
As far as this game getting flagged 13 teams is unacceptable, and reflects poorly on the players & the coaching. A few of them were just plain stupid. Lunt was bad, even terrible, but our receivers also dropped several catchable balls.
Just lost to a far better team. Next week vs. W. Michigan is a key game for this year. It will be a tough game.

It hurt to watch him tonight
This, really. I was at the game, and it was manifestly obvious that Lunt was off in a big way. Waaaay too many unnecessary running passes, and there were a few drops at critical junctures, too.

Defense continues to impress. I know the scoreboard is ugly, but they fought hard all game and definitely outperformed the offense by measure of impressive and well-executed plays.

Real killer was the double-headed dragon of stupid penalties and Lunt with his head in the clouds.

Last takeaway: the collinades are GREAT.

Trakis

Chicago, IL
yeah let's not jump off the edge. We got beat by the better team. Going to take time to get to a place where we can win these.

BigStan97

Cincinnati OH
Interior Oline was bad
Lunt not good
Defense hung in as long as possible. To worn down late in game
5 plays and all the careless penalties sealed it for NC.

It was clear that any above average to good DT over spencer on zone plays was not good for Spencer. He constantly got pushed back and delayed the reads for RBs. Not only on zones but also interior Oline getting pushed back into Lunt. We all know Lunt gets Happy feet when he feels pressure. The OC and OGs did not help that one bit.

I said this in another thread but:

Win or lose the NC game. It's how this team responds. Either coming off a huge high from a win or a low from a loss. It's how we come back to face a darn good WM team. It's a must win for us next week.

Lovie and staff need to get these kids level headed, no more careless penalties. I hope Day and Megginson are not out for long. Depth is a sleeping giant that could cripple this team.