Northwestern 29, Illinois 10 POSTGAME

Good season overall. Injuries were too much to overcome today. Hopefully some of those guys will be back for our bowl game.

NW just killed them on both sides of the ball. They ran it down their throats over and over and they simply had no answer for it. That's coaching.

I would be so freaking embarrassed watching the film of this game as a player and coach. It's freaking NW...FREAKING NW!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: A P-SSED OFF FACE FOR EVERY POINT!!!!!!

Deleted member 19448

D
They saved me several hundred today cause I was debating whether to keep tickets next year. The win streak got me going but today told me it was fools gold. Been down this road too many times with Illinois football.

Also, QB needs to be shored up.

Peters out with 2nd concussion (speculating but what else could it be?) this year. That’s a red flag.

Is Robinson the backup next year too? He’s not good enough.

Like others said, would rather have seen Williams. Doesn’t help him to get shoved in at the end. Maybe the run game would have been better with him. Maybe more turnovers, who knows, but it was painfully obvious early that we weren’t going anywhere with Robinson in this game.

Lovie knew he's already secure (enough) that the better option is to give Fitzy just enough reason to keep McCall to setup a win next year when he needs it more. Going for the long con. At least that's what I'm choosing to believe to abate my sadness.

My dog had a stomach issue earlier this week. She was smart enough to poop on the linoleum in the bathroom but promptly stepped in it and tracked it all over our carpet.

Today reminds me of that for some reason.

It is so obvious that this coaching staff is not doing a good job at preparing the players and then following it up with poor game management. I love the university and want this program to succeed, but Lovie is not the answer if he doesn’t make some changes this offseason. The four game win streak probably set this program back another year or two in the rebuilding process.
The team effort has been so inconsistent this year. You could make an argument for both underachieving and overachieving this season. Let's see what they do in the bowl game. I might be in the minority here, but I'd rather win in the bowl game than today, quality opponent and all

It is so obvious that this coaching staff is not doing a good job at preparing the players and then following it up with poor game management. I love the university and want this program to succeed, but Lovie is not the answer if he doesn’t make some changes this offseason. The four game win streak probably set this program back another year or two in the rebuilding process.
I'd argue it set us back 3 - 4 years.

This was supposed to be a mediocre season (record wise) and that's what it was. Anybody thinking this team was going to go 8-4 was way off target. What encouraged me some was the defense played better after a absolutely horrendous start, something i was all too used to seeing. Today, brought back flashbacks.
The offensive play overall i thought would be better even though they came through with some big plays. Thought the O=line and run game would be more dominant.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Bizarrely, we’ve managed to punt a “well no matter what, either way, we’ll know what we need to know” year from 2019 to 2020. Didn’t think it was possible but here we are.

This is a huge wakeup game. Teams was injured but they over looked this games. But they will be hungry. This team faces so much negativity in this program from media, other coaches, former players bashing the program. I very proud of these boys they fought we people thought it was over. The senior grind for this losing season after losing season after losing season. We have a huge recuiting weekend next week. Some recruits who wouldn't talk to us is visiting next week. The program has changed and one thing Mizzou fans was talking mad !!!! this offseason talking about them being 12-0 and we might not win a game. Player read that keep it in there mind and played amazing. Players who we thought we be just started played amazing. Milan, Harding, Donny Navarro,. Freshman no one expected to play make huge impact Witherspoon, Washington. Dre had a great season. Corbin decent season. This season was very memorable. I very proud of this team and the deserved to play in this game and win it.

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
Just absolutely miserable. Washes away all of the goodwill from the previous run and doesn’t give fans a whiff of confidence heading into next year.

Illinois didn't show up in any aspect of the game today! Dominated on the line of scrimmage both ways. Of course injuries were a part of it, but it was disappointing to see such a lack of effort from the team(and coaches) on what should have been a positive Senior Day for this group. Hopefully we regroup for the bowl game in whatever cold weather city we get sent to???

Who’s responsible for ensuring our players stay healthy? We all know why Peters wasn’t ready to go, but what happened to Imatorbhebhe? What happened to Hansen that took him out for a month? What happened to Williams that made him unavailable earlier in the season? Not having half of our team available is a huge disadvantage and today it showed.

Bad sportsmanship on behalf of Coach Fitz going for the 2 points at the end. Hated to see the season end in a thud. Hope this doesn't carry over to the bowl game.

I’m not going to get all worked up by the loss. To be honest I was surprised at all the pre-game talk on the forum about killing NW. I had seen nothing from Robinson prior to today that would lead me to believe he could engineer a win let alone a rout. That said the play calling didn’t help any.

Get Peters and others healthy and win the bowl game. Go Illini.

Deleted member 29907

D
Was thinking to myself last week there is no better time to find a better coach than when you're playing decent ball with upcoming talent - we should act on that if we can because we've also seen the ugly side of Lovie ball. Today was another example. Injuries, yes. Guess what, all teams have them and we got trucked by a QB not even on the depth chart until recently. We didn't know how to scheme them, they knew how to scheme us. Really pathetic showing against an instate rival.

I would rather have seen them beat NW and lose a bowl game. THAT’S how important this game was.
oh well, one more game fellas.
Not picking on you at all, but this “would you rather” question keeps popping up and I just don’t know. It’s year four, so we’re ok with “one good thing happened this year which is better than the zero good things that typically happen to us so that’s ok, I guess.”

At this stage of the Lovie experience, it’s not unreasonable to expect more. The bar must be raised.

This game DOES NOT TAKE AWAY the last 5 out of 6 games for me. It does ABSOLUTELY SUCK LOSING TO NW, AGAIN!. On fan attendance i hope the stadium is filled next year, but i will not be going to anymore games until they stop playing that loud frickin' awful music every time-out (which there are a lot of).