Northwestern 29, Illinois 10 POSTGAME

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Everyone needs to remember that in July, had someone said “Illinois will go to a bowl and beat #6 on the way”, we all would have crowned Lovie coach for life.

Just remember that.

I was thinking the same thing. It was a crazy road to get to 6-6...but we achieved the goal.

I think we are all just lamenting that our 6th loss had to be against NW when they suck so badly this year.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
I don't think it's bad of him to go for 2. Going up 21 makes sense. Illinois has won two improbably games this year. You never know.
Bad sportsmanship on behalf of Coach Fitz going for the 2 points at the end. Hated to see the season end in a thud. Hope this doesn't carry over to the bowl game.

I was loud about how Lovie was a failure earlier this year, and I believe I was wrong. Yes, this was a bad loss, but I think we are still on the right track. We had competed and beat teams better than us and lost a few to teams that are worse. There is progress, I want to see us next year with Lovie and the offense and full strength. If we can get 8+ wins next year, I will be sure we have the right guy.

MoCoMdIllini

Montgomery County, Maryland
I missed everything in the second half, per usual for a game at this hour.
Did anyone else get hurt?

I was thinking the same thing. It was a crazy road to get to 6-6...but we achieved the goal.

I think we are all just lamenting that our 6th loss had to be against NW when they suck so badly this year.
I see some people trying to move the goal posts. I'd say mission accomplished this season, beating northwestern would have been a big bonus. Let's recalibrate our expectations and set new goals for next season

3DegreeIllini

Chicago,IL
I was loud about how Lovie was a failure earlier this year, and I believe I was wrong. Yes, this was a bad loss, but I think we are still on the right track. We had competed and beat teams better than us and lost a few to teams that are worse. There is progress, I want to see us next year with Lovie and the offense and full strength. If we can get 8+ wins next year, I will be sure we have the right guy.
I generally agree with this, but we need some depth for me to buy in fully. Obviously that begins with recruiting. Games like today hurt that...especially in Illinois.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
Agreed. I say next season the goal should again be 6 or 7 wins. Reach back to back bowl games just to show a hint of sustainability. If we go back to 4 wins in 2020, that's trouble. Illinois is always on the slippery slope of reverting back to the Big Ten bottom dwellers.

I see some people trying to move the goal posts. I'd say mission accomplished this season, beating northwestern would have been a big bonus. Let's recalibrate our expectations and set new goals for next season

Deleted member 645583

D
Just when we were feeling good about the program ... this happens.

Why are they saving Williams? Had an extra jockstrap?

A total embarassment, Illinois. Shame.

the national

the Front Range
This is a huge wakeup game. Teams was injured but they over looked this games. But they will be hungry. This team faces so much negativity in this program from media, other coaches, former players bashing the program. I very proud of these boys they fought we people thought it was over. The senior grind for this losing season after losing season after losing season. We have a huge recuiting weekend next week. Some recruits who wouldn't talk to us is visiting next week. The program has changed and one thing Mizzou fans was talking mad !!!! this offseason talking about them being 12-0 and we might not win a game. Player read that keep it in there mind and played amazing. Players who we thought we be just started played amazing. Milan, Harding, Donny Navarro,. Freshman no one expected to play make huge impact Witherspoon, Washington. Dre had a great season. Corbin decent season. This season was very memorable. I very proud of this team and the deserved to play in this game and win it.
I appreciate your post but the sting is still too painful. We all hate NW. we played terribly but yes the overall season was a good benchmark.

one thing I’m very disappointed about was the MASSiVE drop-off between our ones and twos. We lose all those seniors and the guys replacing them looked pedestrian at best. We have serious work to do to even match this year’s win total.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Everyone needs to remember that in July, had someone said “Illinois will go to a bowl and beat #6 on the way”, we all would have crowned Lovie coach for life.

Just remember that.
This is really a false point. After the 4 game winning streak it was perfectly reasonable to believe we would beat a 2-9 NW team at home. This game really hurts in many ways.

The loss itself was bad, but it's how shockingly unprepared they looked against a 2-9 team. It's as if they assumed NW would lay down and die for them.

Well, you know what they say about assuming...

BZuppke

Plainfield
So many running plays that went nowhere today. I’m interested in knowing how much of that was due to poor o-line play, and how much was due to Robinson’s poor reads and decisions on when to keep ball etc.
Too predictable on first down. I wonder how many first downs we ran for little or no gain.

Soxfreak64

Bloomington
Biggest long-term concern/frustration with Lovie and his staff is always how unmotivated/flat the team so often looks out of the gate.

Can’t recall a game where the team started off hyped up and flying around, including the obvious ones like Senior Day and Homecoming.

Many questions for you football experts:

1). What NW did on offense was exactly what we thought that they would do with that qb? Why couldn't we stop it?

2). Why do we play Reggie more than Dre, particularly on a wet field? Why does Reggie take everything wide? Is it the play call or is Reggie always trying to hit the home run?

3). Is it me or are we out schemed every game? They know we want to run. They stop it. We know they want to run. We can't stop it?

4). Were Rod's play calls bad or did Robinson make too many bad reads on rpo? For instance, still in the game, second and one, Reggie in, Dre out...Robinson does not handoff and takes an eight yard sack? Fourth and short, Reggie and Isaiah..Isaiah runs and fumbles. Why not Dre?

I blame Rod and would look for a new coordinator. But I am no football expert.

Last edited:
Not picking on you at all, but this “would you rather” question keeps popping up and I just don’t know. It’s year four, so we’re ok with “one good thing happened this year which is better than the zero good things that typically happen to us so that’s ok, I guess.”

At this stage of the Lovie experience, it’s not unreasonable to expect more. The bar must be raised.
It’s cool, I don’t think you’re picking on me. There’s more emotion tied into the NW game than some random opponent in a bowl game, and Bobby coming out and giving a speech made an already meaningful game more meaningful.
Losing to your rival team, and them getting their only Big Ten win against you leaves a sour taste in everyone’s mouths.
I won’t lose sleep over this loss, but this game means more to fans.

I’ll watch it a couple more times because that’s the routine but regardless of the ins and outs, this game isn’t nearly the cry for concern that everyone is making it out to be.

Onto the 18th and a decent bowl game.

Let’s be honest - the injury card doesn’t fly because NU had just as many out as we did. They are on their fourth string QB. Both teams were banged up.

So, that out of the way, this was an absolute clinic by Fitz on Lovie. Took him to the woodshed. They did exactly what we should have done, run the ball (especially north/south), load the box and stop the run, and control TOP. We executed very poorly, looked poorly prepped and poorly coached.

With the season in the rear view, I think you have to look at the body of work. We win two games were we led a combined total of 5 seconds. That’s good fortune. We lost to EMU. The weather gods helped immensely against Purdue. And more than anything, our midseason success was predicated on takeaways. I’m not sure that is something you can build a successful program on. A lot of that is fortunate bounces and luck.

At the end of the day, our defensive scheme is still an issue. Cover two is an outdated defense and doesn’t hold up well vs. running qb’s. Our offense is still wildly inconsistent. I don’t think in year four this is where we’d really like to be, a bowl trip to Detroit not withstanding.

We really missed our transfers and Hanson today. No passing game really at all and Hanson could have really helped. Either way we won more games than most expected us to win.
Agree...both were big factors...I know the QB was a big dude...but their yardage after first hit was ridiculous...they were either stronger, better motivated, or better coached

Rod this is on you. There is no way in HE__ that can be your second best option at QB.
Rod you cant have our defense on the field for over 40 minutes.
Did Patterson call offensive plays as HS coach can he be a OC, i dont know just asking on this one.

Last edited:
Let’s be honest - the injury card doesn’t fly because NU had just as many out as we did. They are on their fourth string QB. Both teams were banged up.

So, that out of the way, this was an absolute clinic by Fitz on Lovie. Took him to the woodshed. They did exactly what we should have done, run the ball (especially north/south), load the box and stop the run, and control TOP. We executed very poorly, looked poorly prepped and poorly coached.

With the season in the rear view, I think you have to look at the body of work. We win two games were we led a combined total of 5 seconds. That’s good fortune. We lost to EMU. The weather gods helped immensely against Purdue. And more than anything, our midseason success was predicated on takeaways. I’m not sure that is something you can build a successful program on. A lot of that is fortunate bounces and luck.

At the end of the day, our defensive scheme is still an issue. Cover two is an outdated defense and doesn’t hold up well vs. running qb’s. Our offense is still wildly inconsistent. I don’t think in year four this is where we’d really like to be, a bowl trip to Detroit not withstanding.
could not have said it better.

Where does leading the country in takeaways fall on your ledger of negativity?

You state that the injury card doesn't fly, but the weather card and winning late in the game cards do..just because they fit your narrative?

All seasons unfold with a handful of ifs, buts, shoulda, coulda, wouldas.....

All that matters is what the result actually is. It's a 6-6 team that will be playing in a bowl game....end if story.

You've waited what....six weeks to go after Lovie? That's a long wait.

I disagree with the premise that Lovie should be canned. Based on potential recruiting upgrade, I think it would be the wrong decision. I would like to see coaching staff upgrade. Even Lovie at DC, spreads him too thin...assume he defers completely to Rod on offense....also, need a time out and clock expert standing next to Lovie providing advice he is willing to take.

I’m not advocating for firing him, the bar was 6-6 and he got there. I fully expect him to be retained and understand why.

That said, I do think we had some mid year fools gold. I think when you peel back the layers there are more questions/doubts than answers.

Keep in mind we also averaged 150 ypg less than our opponents. I think the only opponent we outgained straight away was Rutgers. That’s concerning. It speaks to the importance of takeaways. Just doesn’t seem like a sound way to build the foundation of a program. JMHO.