Northwestern 29, Illinois 10 POSTGAME

I'm as big an Illini fan as anyone on this board. That being said, what I saw today was more than disappointing. Coaches and schemes aside, if the new facilities and that we are going to a bowl game does not increase our high 3 and 4 star and a possible 5 star recruit, I do not see us rising above the level of mediocrity. Our depth is painfully thin and when we lose a key player it's like a knife to the jugular. Let's hope today's performance was an anomaly and that our bowl game will make us proud to wear our Illini garb.
As much as I would like to praise you for your Illini Loyalty ( as I feel the same way ), today felt weird. I have season tickets, no big deal, but my 3 boys and myself have always gone to the last game of the year. Today was different because instead of dragging my boys to the game, ( we always have a great time, but I think they feel sorry for this old guy that never loses the faith ), there was true hope to celebrate a great win, and thank the seniors for staying with the program. My toes were cold ( I'm not a young guy ), but I wanted to solidify the notion that we are back, and that my kids will say that today my dad received his due. And then the game started..................................................

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
Had an disappointing observation during yestedays game. I sit in East Main on 50 yd line, behind the visitors bench. During a 4Q timeout (maybe 12 mins left in game?), I noticed all but maybe 2 NW players up on the sideline, engaged, energetic, cheering. I looked across to Illini sideline and saw every inch of heated benches covered with an Illini player posterior. No excitement, no encouragement, no optimism. If I were the Illini HC I would have cleared those benches and announced nobody sits the rest of the game. There definitely was no Fight in our Fighting Illini yesterday.

During the post-game radio interview, Lovie seemed rather content. At 6-6 he had achieved his goal. And, as he mentioned, he has one more game to go.

Sitting n a heated eat is just fine.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I didn't come to the board yesterday after the game...Too disappointed and pissed off and I would have said too many bad things..,,we were totally outplayed by the last place team in the B1G....
They outrushed us, out blocked us, out everythinged us in a game that would have clinched a winning season and broke their winning streak against us..Instead we saw a game that had their 4th string QB run the damn ball down our throat and we knew, or should have known , thats what they were going to do...A big play in the game was the flag against us on the play we intercepted the ball in the end zone...Would that interception changed the game ? probably not, but it sure changed the momentum and we really needed some momentum at that time..

Was thinking to myself last week there is no better time to find a better coach than when you're playing decent ball with upcoming talent - we should act on that if we can because we've also seen the ugly side of Lovie ball. Today was another example. Injuries, yes. Guess what, all teams have them and we got trucked by a QB not even on the depth chart until recently. We didn't know how to scheme them, they knew how to scheme us. Really pathetic showing against an instate rival.
I’m not sure some of the people on this forum understand the amount of recruiting attrition that would happen if Lovie was fired. I would say a few current players and many of our current recruits are coming to Illinois because of Lovie, the name behind it, the NFL experience, and knowing how to cultivate young men out of these players, these guys respect the heck out of him. & in regards to the Northwestern game.... we played our third best QB (in my opinion), we were without Epstein all season, we were down our top three receivers, along with no Stampley, Holmes, or Carter. Luke Ford sat out this year, no Jamal Woods, the Roundtree incident in the preseason took out our best DL at the time, no Hansen (the turnover machine), Beason out all season, and no Tony Adams this game. That’s a tough one to win even if it is a winless big ten team, I found myself disgusted after the game yesterday, but when I let myself calm down. This is what I came to, and their QB “not even on the depth chart until recently” has been their best QB statistically this season by far (albeit two game sample size). If we win our bowl game, it will be our first season since 2011 with a winning record, and our average scoring margin is positive (+1.8) for the first time in 10 years. Why do the majority of posters talk crap on this season after the NW game even though it’s been arguably our best season over the past 10 years... will never fail to amaze me

I’m not sure some of the people on this forum understand the amount of recruiting attrition that would happen if Lovie was fired. I would say a few current players and many of our current recruits are coming to Illinois because of Lovie, the name behind it, the NFL experience, and knowing how to cultivate young men out of these players, these guys respect the heck out of him. & in regards to the Northwestern game.... we played our third best QB (in my opinion), we were without Epstein all season, we were down our top three receivers, along with no Stampley, Holmes, or Carter. Luke Ford sat out this year, no Jamal Woods, the Roundtree incident in the preseason took out our best DL at the time, no Hansen (the turnover machine), Beason out all season, and no Tony Adams this game. That’s a tough one to win even if it is a winless big ten team, I found myself disgusted after the game yesterday, but when I let myself calm down. This is what I came to, and their QB “not even on the depth chart until recently” has been their best QB statistically this season by far (albeit two game sample size). If we win our bowl game, it will be our first season since 2011 with a winning record, and our average scoring margin is positive (+1.8) for the first time in 10 years. Why do the majority of posters talk crap on this season after the NW game even though it’s been arguably our best season over the past 10 years... will never fail to amaze me

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten
You are right
We are currently ranked 13th in the Big Ten in football recruiting for this year.
We really can not afford any attrition.

One question who is the two better QBs on the roster

Who are your starting lineup offense and defense

Maybe not nothing but has to be in context, ie number of recruits/quality of recruits.

Looking at the roster, I think next year sets up to be decent but after that? 2021 looks like a serious cliff dive if we don’t really pick up recruiting.

No, it means nothing. There is no tangible predictive value to this figure outside of the top 10, which in itself is flawed.

Recruiting couldn’t be stronger at this point.

Last edited:
Bad game no matter how you slice it, but overall season was a step in the right direction. We should have had this one though. Going into the bowl game 7-5 would feel much better than 6-6. I don't want to set the bar for next year too low, but I'd honestly be happy with 7-5 :/. Obviously planning on spending the next 9 months manifesting Illini2020B1Gchamps tho.

Bad game no matter how you slice it, but overall season was a step in the right direction. We should have had this one though. Going into the bowl game 7-5 would feel much better than 6-6. I don't want to set the bar for next year too low, but I'd honestly be happy with 7-5 :/. Obviously planning on spending the next 9 months manifesting Illini2020B1Gchamps tho.
It was a bad loss and people's disappointment is amplified by final game of the season and opponent's record.

Looking at the whole body of work the season was definitely improvement, but the finish to the season can cause some doubt as to the actual trajectory of the team. I'm glad we have another opportunity to show something before next year.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! So disappointing, and I agree with many of the posters who made comments regarding how many games we were in, and could have won. Northwestern was supposed to be an easy win, but we surged and then burned out. Bummer.

I don't know how many attended the game, but Northwestern came to play, THEY understood the rivalry, and they dominated. Northwestern's offensive and defensive lines pushed us around all day. Our kids looked bored and/or tired. We never really looked like we wanted to play. I felt sorry for the fans and for the seniors. I would echo a lot of the fans sentiments sitting around us yesterday; it's one thing to go out, play your hearts out and lose in a well played game to opponents that are better than you and it's another thing to walk onto the field and never really put the effort in. We came to lose, we played to lose, and we lost. It was a very disappointing game for the fans that braved the weather (which was not really that bad at all). We got our six wins, we qualified for a bowl game, and the team flat out quit. I guess another way to look at it was that the team was just burned out. Injuries and the season may have just wore them down to the point where they had nothing else to give. I'd like to think it's the latter. The team played with a lot of heart in the middle, tuff part of the season. They've still got a long ways to go imho.

Deleted member 716187

D
I went to the game yesterday, sorry to be negative after being one of those who thought just making a bowl would be a huge success, but I really dont care about what bowl game they make nor do I think they should be in one

illini80

Forgottonia
I didn't sit through it, just listened. I understand how bad we looked and why people are feeling negative, but I also think it was a successful season overall. If we can close on some recruits, I still think we are pointing up. I do question how far this staff can take us, but that answer will only come with time. If we can upgrade talent and depth it should get us back to where our practical ceiling is - bowling on a regular basis. It will always leave us wanting more, but I just don't see that happening.

Deleted member 645583

D
All of this “we don’t deserve a bowl” talk is straight up garbage. The season ended on a dud, but if your worth of the team is wrapped up in the Northwestern game, I feel sorry for you.
Pure crap. friend.

Last edited by a moderator: