Northwestern 68, Illinois 66 POSTGAME

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA
Our best offense all day was Ayo driving to bucket. BU took that away with the TO across center court.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Underwood now 5-18 in games that were down to one possession under 2 minutes.

In that last possession he can only draw up the play and then the guys have to go execute. His overall record can be a sign of poor coaching/recruiting/whatever but if you look at the tactical level of "under 2 minutes and one possession" the guys just have to get it done on the floor.

What a sad day.

You know on that shot clock violation, they needed to get right into the offense not have Ayo dribble the ball out front and wait. And i have no idea why the defender who was on Turner left him after he missed the first 3.

After a year and half of this, I am certain we will never win a game because we out-coached the other team. smh

Wow, emotions control your post much.

Northwestern's last possession, whatever Collins drew up, completely broke down, took a wild 3, missed, got a loose rebound and made a shot.

Our last possession, whatever Underwood drew up, kids fumbled the ball, took a wild 3, missed, time expired.

The prior possession (shot clock violation), whatever Underwood drew up, defense forced it to break down, young team (Georgi) looses track of clock.

What these games typically come down to (nail biters) are kids making a play, very rarely does a coach truly influence a lot. They made the final play, we didn't.

Still wish we would see more of our Freshman, mistakes or not, we're losing regardless.

I don’t care what anyone says,BU approached this game the best way he could. Wait till he gets some more help!

I agree. It's pretty clear we're improving, but when you have to default to your walk on son, who shouldn't be seeing d1 minutes, because your other recruited guards have yet to figure it out what can he do? I can't blame the system until i see a team execute it more than 50% of the time. We need more ballers.

Deleted member 590820

D
Absolutely inane timeout with 8 seconds left. We had ball in Trent’s hands and NU defense on heels. I don’t think that was a designed three. That was a helter skelter why the hell did we take a TO three.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Not sure I'd draw up a 3 pointer in a game where we are 0 for 10 from 3 point range. Oh well, showed we can play even with Northwestern this year, until the end.
That wasn’t the play. Trent was getting the ball full speed coming towards GB to drive the lane and it got fumbled. Time ran out. Missed the heave.

Just can’t catch a break.

It looked like they called the second timeout to get Jordan in the game, right? Either way, at some point you just have to let your players make plays. Trent had the ball going downhill before the timeout. Let him make a play. The kids might even relax a bit if you let them.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
I have no faith we will ever win a second half. It almost seems like the players are just waiting for it to happen.

Have to secure the defensive rebound late forced them to take a tough shot then got the open three off the offensive rebound that just can’t happen. Second road game in row have been competitive but wins are going to be hard to come by

Cook

Richmond, VA
That second to last possession had me completely up in arms. Get a shot off at least. Nobody wanted the ball
Why wasn't the whole damn bench yelling clock or shot or whatever? Watch the replay, it's like they were unaware also, which is beyond inexcusable.

If you watch the final play, it looked like it was designed to be either Ayo or Trent driving to the hoop off of the handoff from Georgi, I like that design. Unfortunately, young, inexperience teams bobble that pass and are forced into an off balance 3.

Let's not forget the first half. We gave up like 4 dunks by NU in a row. We had defenders bumping into each other. De La Rosa gave it his best, but he isn't talented enough to defeat an opponent down low with his back to the basket. Samba is obviously serving some sort of penance. Everyone's celebrating the second coming of Tevian, well, ho hum. I agree on Underwood not worthy of being out there, he does with Mark Smith did, pass it right back to who passed it to him. Can't anybody come up with a sport coat in a better orange color than that Orange Julius smoothie thing BU has?

Another shot of salt into a wound that will never heal.....does this coach or team ever learn from their mistakes????

Let's not forget the first half. We gave up like 4 dunks by NU in a row. We had defenders bumping into each other. De La Rosa gave it his best, but he isn't talented enough to defeat an opponent down low with his back to the basket. Samba is obviously serving some sort of penance. Everyone's celebrating the second coming of Tevian, well, ho hum. I agree on Underwood not worthy of being out there, he does with Mark Smith did, pass it right back to who passed it to him. Can't anybody come up with a sport coat in a better orange color than that Orange Julius smoothie thing BU has?

Until we win a game BU should be known as Orange Julius :)

If you watch the final play, it looked like it was designed to be either Ayo or Trent driving to the hoop off of the handoff from Georgi, I like that design. Unfortunately, young, inexperience teams bobble that pass and are forced into an off balance 3.
They needed more initial separation, if that was the play. A crowd is not the place to be with 7 seconds left.

Wow, emotions control your post much.

Northwestern's last possession, whatever Collins drew up, completely broke down, took a wild 3, missed, got a loose rebound and made a shot.

Our last possession, whatever Underwood drew up, kids fumbled the ball, took a wild 3, missed, time expired.

The prior possession (shot clock violation), whatever Underwood drew up, defense forced it to break down, young team (Georgi) looses track of clock.

What these games typically come down to (nail biters) are kids making a play, very rarely does a coach truly influence a lot. They made the final play, we didn't.

Still wish we would see more of our Freshman, mistakes or not, we're losing regardless.

We have the WORST coach in the history of basketball!!!

On that shot clock violation,... the 5 biggest idiots in the history of basketball could get a shot up in 20 seconds,... UNLESS some bigger idiot tells them such a big pile of malarkey that they get so confused that it didn't happen. Worst play ever!