Northwestern 68, Illinois 66 POSTGAME

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Not sure I'd draw up a 3 pointer in a game where we are 0 for 10 from 3 point range. Oh well, showed we can play even with Northwestern this year, until the end.

Do you honestly believe that was the drawn up play - inbounds to Giorgi B - 2 passes later - Trent 32 foot three?

Deleted member 590820

D
There’s enough talent on this team regardless of experience. See Iowa St play yesterday? Pretty good underclassmen.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Regarding the shot clock violation - after having SIX of them at Indiana - i honestly expected NONE today. I would excuse it if there was an airball or something - but the shot clock expired with Giorgi B standing at the 3 point line....

illini80

Forgottonia
Fraizer passed up on several open looks. Not sure what’s up with that, but he was well defended most of the time as was everyone on the 3 point line. Wish Giorgi could find his touch from 3.

Griffin and Jones both looked lost and tentative today. In spite of a few opinions on here, Kane is never going to recover from time lost this past summer. Wish we could have redshirted him.

illini80

Forgottonia
Regarding the shot clock violation - after having SIX of them at Indiana - i honestly expected NONE today. I would excuse it if there was an airball or something - but the shot clock expired with Giorgi B standing at the 3 point line....
Yep. He was guilty of a key one agains Indiana too.

Up 1 a minute to play and we get a shock clock violation...no excuse. Scream for a timeout, run a play and at least get a shot off. Terrible

didn't see the game today ( had to do something else) . I see that it was another "close but no cigar" game. Its frustrating for sure but I admire the players for giving it their all the best way they can . I really feel for the players cause losing definitely sucks (esp to the Mild cats )

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
I hate to blame officiating in this game - and that's not what I'm trying to do - but there were some really bad block/charge calls (in fact, I don't think there were any charge calls, all blocks) but there was one on DeLaRosa and another on Williams that led to 4 points via FTs that just memorized me in the last 8 minutes of so.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Up 1 a minute to play and we get a shock clock violation...no excuse. Scream for a timeout, run a play and at least get a shot off. Terrible

Wasn't there a rule not long ago - maybe last year - where the coach can't call TO from the sideline... the kids on the court have to make the call? If the coach can call a TO - underwood should have called it himself - you could see that the awareness wasn't there - from my couch.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Okay, we lost and that stinks. I like that the players were crying in the locker room after the game, per BU. That shows heart, imo. Also like that the free throws were good today...as annoying at the NW screaming banshee-harpie-sirene howler fan is, I think we need to record her and have that howl every time we go to the line from here on out.

Deleted member 746094

D
BU said lots of tears in the locker room, whenever you have tears.....yikes.

Other than maybe KofI announcing his commitment this is the best news I have heard all day.

These kids care. A lot. I saw great emotion out of Ayo, Kipper and ADR today. I don’t want to go as far as saying they “just need one win” to break this thing open because I just don’t think we have the experience and talent yet. A win against a good team will go far for this team. We will win a few B10 games this year because there will be a few games that we finally put 40 minutes together. I will say this for the 100th time. We need Tevian and Griffin on the floor as much as possible. They are going to make a ton of mistakes, but they aren’t going to get better playing on scout team in practice against AJ and Kip who are every other team’s least athletic player.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
Another thing I thought of when reading the postgame comments - didn't we hear about 3 games ago that Underwood told Trent to be more of a distributor? I think there is a direct correlation between that and Trent's poor performance's ... just let Trent be Trent, he's a phenomenal scorer - why not let him get buckets?

The tears were from Tevian Jones who has been awaiting the end of this suspension to play.... then he played 4 minutes.

illini80

Forgottonia
Extremely concerning, they are 4-11, play jones and griffin.
They both played. Poorly I might add. We had a great chance to win this game. Give them more minutes and we likely had no chance. I believe this team needs a win more than it needs playing time for kids who are struggling. If we had a 20 point lead and they are getting no minutes I would agree with giving them more tick.

Another thing I thought of when reading the postgame comments - didn't we hear about 3 games ago that Underwood told Trent to be more of a distributor? I think there is a direct correlation between that and Trent's poor performance's ... just let Trent be Trent, he's a phenomenal scorer - why not let him get buckets?

He might have felt inclined to do so with potentially other players "not feeling the love" so to speak with Trent getting buckets. Not saying it is right or wrong, but a coach has to try things to appease others at times. Trent not getting buckets in the long run now is no different than with him getting buckets, no wins lately.

Get the entire team involved short term and then get Trent untracked as well? Again, not saying correct, as it does seem to be wearing on Trent. He seems to me to HAVE to be an alpha...Ayo also, Giorgi isn't far behind...at least we have choices long term in that regard.

Extremely concerning, they are 4-11, play jones and griffin.

As much as I would love for that to happen....Jones looked lost, standing around, hence the Coach speak on tempering expectations for him...Griffin will be our next Williams with a shot imo. Williams is exactly what we need from a 3...occasional offense, all the time intangibles.

A combination of factors contribute to our inability to establish an effective half court set offense- inexperience, poor outside shooting, lack of quickness making separation difficult, etc. So why are we calling unforced timeouts with the game’s outcome in the balance, allowing the opponent time to scheme and position themselves defensively? Our guards are much more effective pushing the ball in transition than “running the offense”.Young players relax when they keep moving and don’t put as much pressure on themselves from overthinking. Considerable improvement with Ayo and DW. Trent will adjust. We need more talent, period. These kids aren’t quitters and need our support as they grow.