Notre Dame 76, Illinois 74 POSTGAME

The Sprouting Divot

Invisible and Bulletproof
Miracle Mile
Man, I like Trent.

These guys aren't quite on the same page as each other yet. Too many incorrect assumptions about what a teammate is going to do, or where he will be - especially evident in hustle/scramble situations and fast breaks. If they can become more "telepathic" with each other, for lack of a better term, we win that game by 10+.

I think that as long as they don't fall into a Weber-esque late season spiralfunk, they may be good by the season's end.

Rough. Liked the fight at end, but why not have that same fight the entire 40 minutes. Brey got BU in the 2nd half, and that is unfortunate.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
On the bright side, we covered. So those that said they would bet against us, eat it.

You had 5.8 seconds. All you basically have time for is a 20-something foot leaner unless you decide to try to make it to the basket where he already got rejected the last time...
It was a good look. I would take that shot in that situation any time. Just missed it. Luck of the Irish I suppose. *sigh*

Anyone know anything about Trent's injury? Gotta imagine it contributed to him having such an off night. Hopefully it doesn't linger.

JJE

Bethalto, IL
Deep down Underwood had to know this was going to be a bad year, with that said why didn’t we redshirt Samba? I understand wanting to see what you have, but I just don’t get it. Set yourself up to be better not only next year but for the next 2-3.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
ND is not good, just as I predicted. We just managed to be worse. Unexpected by me. Lotta soft fouls didn't help. Wish Jordan could have shot the last shot, he had the hot hand. But Trent got so close. Did not appreciate ND moving me from the front row 4 minutes before tip off after I had been there 40 minutes cause I was wearing orange, but they pay my paycheck so I won't complain.

I can tell you from inside the student section, Giorgi is definitely the most hated player. Which is good.

You can say there are a lot of reason why Illni are 2-5. But Illni foul way to much teams averaging 40 free throws a game against Illni. Good thing Irish missed a lot or it wouldn't be close made 24 out of 39. Until Illni stop fouling and giving up 40 free throws a game will be a long season.

No complaints, really. Yeah, we made a bunch of mistakes, but the fight to stay in the game was fun to watch, and that last second shot by Trent was a thing of beauty before it hit the front of the rim just enough to carom out. This is a young team that has a long way to go. Except maybe Giorgi, who's surprised us all. Guys really gave it a nice run to try and get back in it, and that's something they should be able to build on. I could go up and down the roster, but we're not there in terms of development, and that should be expected with the large class we brought in.

Anyone know anything about Trent's injury? Gotta imagine it contributed to him having such an off night. Hopefully it doesn't linger.
His ankle. He looked a step slow at times and didn’t seem to cut as hard off that foot.

You can say there are a lot of reason why Illni are 2-5. But Illni foul way to much teams averaging 40 free throws a game against Illni. Good thing Irish missed a lot or it wouldn't be close made 24 out of 39. Until Illni stop fouling and giving up 40 free throws a game will be a long season.
I agree. In close games, free throw differential almost always determines the game. A great many are fouls in the paint against taller longer player. We need more size.

Hot take (though I hate it), I don't think this team is an NCAA tournament team even next year. I should preface that getting a guy like Kofi could definitely change this prediction.

illiniCA

DC Area
What is going on with Kipper. if he can play mediocre this team would be much better.

Deleted member 746094

D
So, primarily a 3-shooting team insists on driving to the hoop for Durham to block their shots for the entire 2nd half. Then, with a chance to win with a 3, they let the one guy who hasn't hit a thing all night take the shot. No comprende.

Only saw the last 1:34 of the game as I was at a meeting. I don’t care if Trent is 0-15 from the field tonight he is taking the final shot for us. Darn near put it in.

That being said, we have to start winning these close games. Read Tevian is suspended. This is concerning.

Deep down Underwood had to know this was going to be a bad year, with that said why didn’t we redshirt Samba? I understand wanting to see what you have, but I just don’t get it. Set yourself up to be better not only next year but for the next 2-3.

Would be nice to have the luxury of redshirting Kane but we have no interior depth right now. We just can’t afford it.

Jordan played really well. Hopefully he can be a good mentor for Griffin. It will suck to lose him next year.

Frazier looked hurt. (Wish that last shot went down)

Georgi continues to impress.

Damonte looked good too. I’d like to see him be even more aggressive on offense. He does a lot of things right.

Ayo made some freshman mistakes but I’m okay with that.

How big of an improvement would we see with a guy like Kofi? Slide Georgi over the 4 spot (I think it suits his game even better) and I think that’s a sweet sixteen team next year.

I don’t care when Kofi is visiting, or what the weather is like, or how many fans attend his scrimmage. I have to think he sees a huge opportunity here. I hope he takes it.

Georgi is good.

Ayo has to realize that his Eurostep isn't as effective at this level, he loves that move, he better figure out the angle and to wrap the ball up.

Trent won't have many more games like that but sometimes I wish he's take one extra dribble instead of the extended layup that gets blocked a lot.

Kipper needs to play like he doesn't care...I know everyone is saying he plays like he doesn't care, but I think he cares so much that he doesn't do anything assertive. He's just so passive.

Losing sucks...but I will keep watching.

What is going on with Kipper. if he can play mediocre this team would be much better.
He’s supposed to be our dynamic wing who can step in and occupy the three position. Ain’t working. If he doesn’t play well, we’re doomed.

Somebody brought this up in the game thread, but should they not be playing with some, you know, fire or something? Kipper in particular is brutal out there, and he's supposed to be a dependable upperclassman. He just doesn't seem to care.

What is the disconnect? I don't get it.

I have been the biggest Kipper fan from day 1, but he had regressed. Seems like a player who is playing for the coach but not instinctively. Very mechanical, not being the veteran out there.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
Somebody brought this up in the game thread, but should they not be playing with some, you know, fire or something? Kipper in particular is brutal out there, and he's supposed to be a dependable upperclassman. He just doesn't seem to care.

What is the disconnect? I don't get it.
Totally agree! I see no fire in this team, not even much during the comeback tonight. Jordan shows passion, but no one else. And yes, Kipper is invisible out there.