Notre Dame 76, Illinois 74 POSTGAME

Gotta disagree with the highlighted above....I would bet the ND team and coaching staff knew and talked about how the refs gave them many chances to win the game...ND's center Mooney looked bewildered when he fouled out and acted like no blood no foul....ND played bumper car D and on many of the ND and 1's they got , the replay showed space between us and their players.

We had many opportunities to win the game, no doubt about that...
The Kipper T hurt bad
TF missing significant mins in the first half b/c of fouls and tweaked ankle hurt bad
The dreaded scoring drought by us hurt bad
our defense in the second half hurt bad
TF's last second shot not staying in the basket hurt the worst of all....but.....
the refs had a very high degree of influence that was suspicious at best and awfully piss poor for a power 5 high major bb game....

That is a lot of HURT in one game......

Deleted member 746094

D
As I have watched the Big10/ACC challenge I would bet we are the least athletic overall team between the two conferences. That is alarming considering our offensive and defensive schemes.

Experience aside, we just don’t have the length and athletes that most Top 25 teams have. Which is looking to be half the Big 10 early on in 18-19 season.

My take on this team is that we have enough glue for the project but not enough pieces. I hope Tevian can get out of doghouse because I have watched him in pregame and he moves differently. I would like to see if he can develop into a sorely lacking piece.
As I have watched the Big10/ACC challenge I would bet we are the least athletic overall team between the two conferences. That is alarming considering our offensive and defensive schemes.

Experience aside, we just don’t have the length and athletes that most Top 25 teams have. Which is looking to be half the Big 10 early on in 18-19 season.
This is exactly what I am seeing! Many one dimensional players and few athletes. I am telling you that Tevian moves like an elite athlete so I hope he gets out of doghouse! Have no idea what kind of basketball player he is but he is bouncy and can switch direction with ease!

I went back and watched this game again...not sure why. My goodness, how did Coach Underwood have some of the most efficient teams in the country? That offense we ran was beyond brutal. It reminded me of Groce's last few season. Just standing around the perimeter. Georgee (jk) could have had as many points as he wanted. Then to hear CBU after the game say he was happy with the way the offense looked!?!? That was a really bad ND team. I have to say, as a CBU believer, I am starting to wonder what the hell he is doing.

Please, just set some screens and drive the dang ball. All we heard about AYO was how good he is at driving the ball. "Nobody can stop him from getting in the lane" Then please use that and kick and move and move and move.

I really hope with a few days here between games we get something going, but this looks like a lost cause this season. Please use Giorgi...please. HE is the most efficient player we have.

I went back and watched this game again...not sure why. My goodness, how did Coach Underwood have some of the most efficient teams in the country? That offense we ran was beyond brutal. It reminded me of Groce's last few season. Just standing around the perimeter. Georgee (jk) could have had as many points as he wanted. Then to hear CBU after the game say he was happy with the way the offense looked!?!? That was a really bad ND team. I have to say, as a CBU believer, I am starting to wonder what the hell he is doing.

Please, just set some screens and drive the dang ball. All we heard about AYO was how good he is at driving the ball. "Nobody can stop him from getting in the lane" Then please use that and kick and move and move and move.

I really hope with a few days here between games we get something going, but this looks like a lost cause this season. Please use Giorgi...please. HE is the most efficient player we have.

https://www.thechampaignroom.com/20...-gonzaga-as-director-of-basketball-operations

Wasn't Gentry pretty involved in the offense?

For all of our ball screens, I'm surprised we don't get more open looks. ND's defense was pretty good though. Also, can you imagine what this year would look like without Giorgi?

I couldn't tell if you were critizing the decision or just stating a fact, but AJ, Feliz, Ayo, Giorgi, and DMW all had plus-plus games, finding a reason for their playing time is pointless--they deserved it. Trent is Trent so he'll get his tick regardless.

Personally I think after watching Groce kills momentum his entire tenure, playing the hot hand is one of the best things about BU.

I definitely hated Groce's "get a foul, get subbed" process. The point of my question is that we've played it differently all season long and this game was different. My question is why? It's not like we had different players this game than in the past. Do we really think playing Ayo and others 35+ minutes is the most efficient way to run our O and D? We can all debate the merits of BU's schemes, but I don't see any scenario where they work if our guys are gassed.

I definitely hated Groce's "get a foul, get subbed" process. The point of my question is that we've played it differently all season long and this game was different. My question is why? It's not like we had different players this game than in the past. Do we really think playing Ayo and others 35+ minutes is the most efficient way to run our O and D? We can all debate the merits of BU's schemes, but I don't see any scenario where they work if our guys are gassed.

It seemed to me that BU dialed back the pressure a little bit in this game. It still seemed like we were "on the line, up the line" off the ball, but it didn't feel as extreme, or like we pressured the ball the same as usual. We turned it up at the end, but the rest of the time it felt like our help was a little better and we got blown past a little less. Maybe this meant less subbing was necessary? I like the idea of using the intense pressure as a change of pace throughout the game, then just when the other team starts adjusting to it we pull it back and play more straight up.

Deleted member 29907

D
It seemed to me that BU dialed back the pressure a little bit in this game. It still seemed like we were "on the line, up the line" off the ball, but it didn't feel as extreme, or like we pressured the ball the same as usual. We turned it up at the end, but the rest of the time it felt like our help was a little better and we got blown past a little less. Maybe this meant less subbing was necessary? I like the idea of using the intense pressure as a change of pace throughout the game, then just when the other team starts adjusting to it we pull it back and play more straight up.
Seemed like the refs were calling everything and I think he worried about fouling key player out... that could be it.

Deleted member 29907

D
For all of our ball screens, I'm surprised we don't get more open looks. ND's defense was pretty good though. Also, can you imagine what this year would look like without Giorgi?
Watching the replay - ND flashed their big man out on the cutter when he got the ball, and tried help D from behind. if we would have gotten the ball to Giorgi right away - he could either take it to the rim or kick to the opposite corner for a 3. As like last year - for some reason - our guards don't recognize when a big man has an advantage underneath and act immediately. Unfortunately Mark Smith was probably our best at dumping inside after turning the corner....sigh

The reffing has been bad and does at times seem to be one sided. At ND there were a couple time calls were made and the players was even touched. It just seems in College basketball that they don't allow any contact at all. I am not sure how you are even able to defend someone that is driving to the basket. If you just graze the player they call a foul. Way too many fouls called.

Deleted member 29907

D
Anyone else notice Pfluger fumble the ball in bounds with 15.6 seconds left? Is that not a violation? He didn't necc. establish control of the ball and fumbled it inbounds - so perhaps that's part of the reason it wasn't a turnover?

Anyone else notice Pfluger fumble the ball in bounds with 15.6 seconds left? Is that not a violation? He didn't necc. establish control of the ball and fumbled it inbounds - so perhaps that's part of the reason it wasn't a turnover?
they didn't show a replay but I said out loud at the time that he had control and then inbounded it and turned it over. re: refs called several phantom no contact fouls (Jordan would not have fouled out), allowed ND to go over the back (even if they didn't get the rebound), and called offense initiated contact as defensive fouls, etc. we maybe got 1-2 bad calls in our favor, they had 5-10 (depending on much homer bias you have), and I'm not counting the close/gray either way calls. refs within games and between games (not just ours) are way too inconsistent - is contact allowed or not, can guards on offense use their forearms to drive by the defender - seems like this year you can, ...

No. You are right. The individuals that have been given the chance have gotten it done. Right? Maybe it will play out different as the season moves along but I doubt it. Adonis is too slow to play in this offense and BU is handcuffing Kip and the young kids (minus AYO) to where they are too afraid or don't have an opportunity to play in the flow of the game. Just my thoughts but tell me you didn't see that 3 man freshmen fast break GIF from practice and think there were better things coming. We'll never see it if they don't get to play meaningful minutes. More likely to see it happen against us......with freshmen on the other side.

BU is HANDCUFFING KIP? Where is that coming from.....Kipper showed what he is capable of with a 30 point game, then he has a season lost so far after that and he is being handcuffed? Take control of your own destiny, play hard, give it your all, get yours, and then NO ONE can sit back and make excuses for you...handcuffing, we ain't talking the game here, handcuffing, another excuse as to why this kid who has some talent can't be a leader on a team in dire need of his leadership...If he ain't got it fine, but don't blame Coach for that one...is Trent and Ayo and Giorgi being handcuffed as well....C'mon Man!

illini80

Forgottonia

I agree on every point. Especially the comparison to Groce's offense and BUs comments after the game.

illini80

Forgottonia
Saw it and thought the same thing. I've seen it called before. Don't know if the ref just missed it or what.

Deleted member 336259

D
BU is HANDCUFFING KIP? Where is that coming from.....Kipper showed what he is capable of with a 30 point game, then he has a season lost so far after that and he is being handcuffed? Take control of your own destiny, play hard, give it your all, get yours, and then NO ONE can sit back and make excuses for you...handcuffing, we ain't talking the game here, handcuffing, another excuse as to why this kid who has some talent can't be a leader on a team in dire need of his leadership...If he ain't got it fine, but don't blame Coach for that one...is Trent and Ayo and Giorgi being handcuffed as well....C'mon Man!

We are all going to see it how we want to see it and I am talking about the game. In my opinion some players are being held to a different standards. I will agree that some of this is on Kip as it relates to attitude and discipline; however, my "handcuffed" comment comes more from how he is being utilized. You cannot expect someone to be put in a position, or better yet out of position, and be as successful as they could be. Kip is not a 5 and barely a serviceable 4 so him showing he is capable of 31 LAST YEAR, ONCE, means nothing as it relates to this year. We have two 7 footers and a 6' 9" guy who has been our starting center. NO REASON Kip should ever be at the 5, EVER. I guess I should take that back considering they brought in an ACL repair who is slow and cannot catch the ball and BU for some reason refuses to play SK. So yeah, it's Kips fault I guess. So when you say is Trent, Ayo and Giorgi being handcuffed; no, you are right, they are not. They get to do what someone who plays their position is supposed to do.

We are all going to see it how we want to see it and I am talking about the game. In my opinion some players are being held to a different standards. I will agree that some of this is on Kip as it relates to attitude and discipline; however, my "handcuffed" comment comes more from how he is being utilized. You cannot expect someone to be put in a position, or better yet out of position, and be as successful as they could be. Kip is not a 5 and barely a serviceable 4 so him showing he is capable of 31 LAST YEAR, ONCE, means nothing as it relates to this year. We have two 7 footers and a 6' 9" guy who has been our starting center. NO REASON Kip should ever be at the 5, EVER. I guess I should take that back considering they brought in an ACL repair who is slow and cannot catch the ball and BU for some reason refuses to play SK. So yeah, it's Kips fault I guess. So when you say is Trent, Ayo and Giorgi being handcuffed; no, you are right, they are not. They get to do what someone who plays their position is supposed to do.

Fair enough, however, Kipper is at least on offense far more at the pinch/running the floor rather than setting up on the low post. As it relates to Kipper is discipline and attitude do play a part, but more importantly his APTITUDE is what needs to improve. He doesn't seem to grasp what his role should be, could be, needs to be on this team. The kid just doesn't have the fire to make him an all out baller, thus the glimpses of last year 31 point game. It does have some bearing, if he were to apply himself instead of floating in and out of games like he is a 7-8 man versus a 3-5 man on this team, he could do that more often. That said, what i think infuriates BU is the inability to get that out of him?