Ohio State 71, Illinois 63 POSTGAME

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Had some time yesterday and was thinking about how we lost the OSU game in large part by giving them 10 extra chances to score. Writing that post gave me some ideas about ways to visualize data from a game. So, behold — the Borup Breakdown:

2F195F41-B921-46D4-8453-A81EDD60B80B.jpeg

Upper left: total scoring for each team, with type of make.
Upper right: Chances made (O-Reb) vs lost (Turnovers) and the net difference between teams
Bottom: Full breakdown of all possessions.
- Turnovers
- Threes made and missed
- Twos made and missed
- FTs made/missed
- Center line: maroon is total possessions (usually close, but can be off a bit depending on the type of FT situations), and purple shows ORebs per team.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
This is freaking cool. Is there a way to show the full breakdown of the possessions in order that they happened?

Like the first thing could be a missed 2, then a made 3, then turnover, then missed 3 offensive rebound, made 2, made 2, TO, missed 3..etc.

It would be neat to see a visual representation of the game flow and of runs for each team and maybe see a trend of when we go flat.

It might be way too intensive as you’d have to keep track of each possession as opposed to total stats, though, so I understand if it’s too much.

Regardless, I like how it looks. I’m a visual learning/graph sort of guy!

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
This is freaking cool. Is there a way to show the full breakdown of the possessions in order that they happened?

Like the first thing could be a missed 2, then a made 3, then turnover, then missed 3 offensive rebound, made 2, made 2, TO, missed 3..etc.

It would be neat to see a visual representation of the game flow and of runs for each team and maybe see a trend of when we go flat.

It might be way too intensive as you’d have to keep track of each possession as opposed to total stats, though, so I understand if it’s too much.

Regardless, I like how it looks. I’m a visual learning/graph sort of guy!

I think that would be totally cool. Ideally this is an online widget where you can sort by time or bin as above. I’m sure it’s doable with play-by play data.

Status
Not open for further replies.