Ohio State 71, Illinois 63 POSTGAME

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish BBV would have been healthy this year to at least see what he could do in a game like the last couple when we could use a power 4 that can shoot and play D against teams with size and skill at the 4 so Kofi wouldnt have to help out quite so much and hit the defensive glass. Kofi could have had more than 3 boards if he wasnt always helping out and out of position to rebound so often
RCC great post his big body could have really helped

Trent needs to make open shots or REALLY focus on play making...I love Trent, he bleeds O&B...but he’s killing us right now
"killing us right now"???

We just got off a four game winning streak and lost on the road to a top 20 team. There's no "killing us right now" by anyone on the team.

As to Ayo's "evolution" many of us feel it's because of Trent's play with the ball.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Hard to win on the road when you can't buy a bucket and have 3 turnovers in a row with the game on the line.

We just got off a four game winning streak and lost on the road to a top 20 team. There's no "killing us right now" by anyone on the team.

As to Ayo's "evolution" many of us feel it's because of Trent's play with the ball.
Ok. Killing us is harsh. But his inability to make open shots has hurt us in multiple game’s this year. His defense is certainly needed.

Again, if he’s going to start and be on the floor he needs to focus on play making or make his open shots. Trent, Feliz and DMW don’t offer enough spacing to let Kofi and Ayo do their thing.

Tough one. We were rolling early, then the refs got too involved and we were forced to play with Kipper at the 5. Just because Wesson uses his back, doesn’t mean that it’s not a moving screen. He did it the whole game. Had our chances to extend our lead in the second half, but just couldn’t take advantage. On to Iowa.

BU relying too much on small lineup. Can't explain his substitution thoughts regarding Kipper and Griffin. I would bet they have some of the best metrics (?) For when they are playing.
You can thank Giorgio for that

First of all this was the worst officiated game all season, and the 2nd I saw (first was not B10) that made me seriously question the impartiality of the officials.

Illini were WINNING this game for 28 MINUTES. This wasn't a total disaster throughout. We also no how much foul situation can affect a teams playing especially when the calls are inconsistent and creating uncertainty and frustration.

I 100% put this game on the officials.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
My word...some of these clueless takes on Trent.

Without Trent running the point and his elite on ball defense....we are a .500 team this year. Exclamation point. Exclamation point.

This team changed completely when that lineup change was made. Ayo got better. Dre got better. Ball movement got better. Defense got better.

LITERALLY EVERYTHING IMPROVED BECAUSE OF TRENT AT THE POINT.

Without Trent running the point and his elite on ball defense....we are a .500 team this year. Exclamation point. Exclamation point.

This team changed completely when that lineup change was made. Ayo got better. Dre got better. Ball movement got better. Defense got better.

I hear you bro! But he can’t shoot 15% from 3 if he’s going to take 8 a game! He needs to facilitate more or drive to the basket

Here are some game facts.

Fouls were even at 6 a piece with 11.5 minutes remaining in the 1st. This is also when Illini had just been on a 20-5 run that held OSU to 5 points over a 10 minute span, and with their largest lead of the game.

Over the next 24 minutes the officials called 11 fouls on the Illini and only 3 on Ohio State, until Ohio State gained a 3 point lead. The Refs then called an even game again for the final 6 minutes while Ohio State had a lead (5 Illini fouls, 4 OSU).

Do you not remember where this team was prior to Trent becoming the lead PG on the team? Trent's shooting is suffering yes, but he leads, he gets the offense going and it allows Ayo to be placed in more successful situations as an off guard PG if you will.
Totally agree. And his number of turnovers is very low. Not sure what has happened to his shot. Hopefully he will find it.

When Kofi gets in foul trouble I wish we would leave him in and play some zone, when he is out of the game the other team just takes it to the hoop or throws it in to the center and we just get destroyed. Also , I hope we never have Kofi and Ayo on the bench at the same time ever again.

Totally agree. And his number of turnovers is very low. Not sure what has happened to his shot. Hopefully he will find it.
IMO the offense isn't getting him enough clean looks. He's been great in the past early in the offense before the defense is set. I feel like the focus working the ball to Kofi has limited his best looks.

I hear you bro! But he can’t shoot 15% from 3 if he’s going to take 8 a game! He needs to facilitate more or drive to the basket

Please, no. Trent's drives to the basket always end in a missed or blocked "floater". It just isn't good. Love Trent and what he brings to the team, but the step-back long 2s and the drives to the basket should be minimized. I know he is trying to get to the basket as he knows his shot isn't falling, but it's not really working to get him going. Not sure what we need for him. Maybe run him off some screens to get some catch and shoot 3s?

Tough one. We were rolling early, then the refs got too involved and we were forced to play with Kipper at the 5. Just because Wesson uses his back, doesn’t mean that it’s not a moving screen. He did it the whole game. Had our chances to extend our lead in the second half, but just couldn’t take advantage. On to Iowa.
Actually the last 5 min of first half....I was a little shocked how well we did with Kipper and 4 guards at end of half. It wasn't dominant but we had 7 point lead at half.

I do not believe we saw that lineup in the lackluster 2d half.

An intelligent post. Some of these Trent haters need to step away from the keyboard. They have no idea what the game of basketball is all about. Trent is a stud who has been missing shots. I think I saw he had been 34% or so from the 3 this yr which is solid. Replace him with Alan (like many have been suggesting) gets you a guy who is spotty defensively and tonight didn't hit his shots either. Some people are just clueless.

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road

Well said. OSU is really good. They won at home - they were better rebounders and got tons of fouls.

We’ve got a froshman big whos been a world beater but has some off nights. To be expected.

Giorgis not what he was and seems to have a rep of being foul prone so gets away with nothing - so he can’t stay on the floor but can’t score anyway. That impacts Kofi cause he’s got no backup.

There aren’t many dead eye shooters on this team. AG can shoot it but I guess coach doesn’t trust his D. Trents my biggest concern. He’s snake bit. He’s guarding his !!! off but can’t buy a basket. If he comes around the sky’s the limit for this team. If not, we won’t go too far in the NCAA.

on the stat line ORBs and Freethrows were the difference.

Right on!! The most number of FTA (28) by a BIG opponent this year. Next closest was @MSU, 24 FTA. 12 OR's by an opponent was the most given up since @Maryland to start the BIG season.

I do I do, but Ayo has evolved since then.
+/- tonight
Frazier -17
Feliz -15
Griffin +7

Trent needs to make open shots or REALLY focus on play making...I love Trent, he bleeds O&B...but he’s killing us right now
And why do think that is? Yeah, Illini could really use his offense. He is NOT killing the Illini. His defense has been very good. And NO you do not replace him in starting line-up with , Griffin.

OSU, flat out wanted the game more the 2nd half. Another thing, the guard from OSU who scored what 12 out of his 14 points or so from the line; that is not acceptable. Most if i remember were on drives to the basket. Did not do a good job of keeping him in front. I posted earlier what i think about, Frazier's play. But he has been missing a lot of open 3's for some time, now. Some said he hasn't been getting good looks and someone posted it's because of the desperation 3's he has to take. He has found the ball in his hands when the clock is winding down at times. But he's had a lot of open shots that just aren't going in. He was 1-9 against IND and 1-6 tonite. He's proven he can shoot which would certainly make Illini tougher to defend.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Thought we played fine the first half. OSU adjusted to sell out on Ayo and we missed some open looks in crunch time.

So my first though was: they probably out-shot us, we missed too many looks. But our FG% was actually quite a bit higher — we made 24 of 55 (6 treys) they made 22 of 57 (3 treys). That puts us up 7. So where’d they find their other 15 points?

24 makes on 28 free throws to our 9 on 10. They shot 1 free throw for every 2 field goal attempts they took — that’s our worst performance of the year in terms of opponent’s Free Throw Rate (FTA/FGA) at 49%. The next highest was 43% at Wisconsin (actually, our worst 7 are all on the road).

So that’s where the points came from. The other question is — why did they have so many opportunities to get to the line? If you count 2 FTs as a possession (or a bit less for and-1s), they had 70 offensive possessions to our 60. Where’d those extra 10 come from?

As others have pointed out, rebounding was the killer in this regard. OSU grabbed 16 of 38 misses, or 42% — also a season worst for our D. We grabbed 9. So there’s 7 of the 10 extra chances. The other three came from 14 turnovers to our 11 — one of our highest turnover rates in 2020 but not as noteworthy as the rebounding.

Obviously in the run of play you can’t just slice and dice like this, but IMO the statistical story tonight is still informative:
  • We gave OSU 10 extra chances to score
  • Those 10 extra chances turned into 15 extra made FTs
  • Those 15 extra points more than made up for our being 7 points more efficient otherwise.
Oh well. Good opportunity for BU and the guys to scheme against defenses selling out to stop Ayo. And on to some sweet sweet revenge over Iowa!

Status
Not open for further replies.