Ohio State 77, Illinois 61 POSTGAME

Agree. I'm not sure what's going on with him and the elbows. Part of me thinks he is still learning how to use his body and he has a serious wingspan. If it's deliberate then I'm sure Groce knows and will handle it.
Leron has alot of Lucas Johnson in him. He will get under the other teams skin and he will occasionally cross the line. I like his edge, but he may find himself in trouble from time to time.

UI Fan in QC Land
Leron has alot of Lucas Johnson in him. He will get under the other teams skin and he will occasionally cross the line. I like his edge, but he may find himself in trouble from time to time.
I believe he could bring that to the team, but right now he needs to concentrate on learning the game at the college level. He has a lot of potential.

Frankfort, IL
Dakich has been great doing the games, says what he sees and doesn't seem biased. Can be really blunt, but has been on point in the parts of games I've seen.

Lombard
I waited a full 24 hours before posting so I didn't say anything in shear anger.

But I still believe it now - that team quit last night. They don't trust each other and they don't play with each other. This is not a "team" in any sense of the word right now.

I'm a huge fan of Groce, but he's at a crossroads right now. He must figure out a way to get these guys to gel, or there will be zero postseason for this team.
Transfers are nice when you have to piece together a team, but I hope DP is the last transfer we have for awhile. I don't want to pin anything on the transfers, because I am not in the locker room, but I just feel they would have a different attitude towards things as they didn't step foot on the campus the same way the rest of the freshman Illini did. A transfer's recruitment is usually rushed and quite different than a player that will be recruited from day 1 to be an Illini. Relationships with the current players and staff are different and the way the blend into the living environment will be way different.

Anyways, I don't know if we will make the dance this year or not, but I have no reason to doubt that we wont gel and make it interesting at the end...that is the M O.

I don't understand those of you who think that Starks should be getting 10 mpg...yes he is struggling, but that would mean Tate would be playing 30 mpg, which I don't think he is ready for.

So since we are stuck with him, here's how I would utilize him when he is in: Run pick and rolls with him and Hill. Starks has shown that he can consistently make open jumpshots, when he misses it has almost always been due to poor shot selection rather than lack of shooting ability (it was the same problem at oregon state). If they switch on the screen, then Hill is being guarded by a PG which is ideal for him, and Starks can pass it to him when he rolls to the basket. However, what they should do imo, is not switch, and force starks to drive. This would most likely lead to a floater from starks, but he can hit that and if not it is still something positive going towards the basket.

We can also substitute Rice for Hill in this situation, but I think Hill would be able to roll and get a quality shot better than Rice in this situation as he can always shoot over a PG worst case scenario.

I still think that Tate should start. His drives to the hoop in recent games have given me a lot of hope for him in the future. These and 1s he's got in some of the last few games were unheard of last season. Also he is the best passer we have had in a long time, he just needs to have a somewhat respectable jumpshot and I think he can have some success for us.

Also, Hill is a 2, who can play the 3, who we have playing the 4 out of necessity. Definitely not ideal.

Lombard
I don't understand those of you who think that Starks should be getting 10 mpg...yes he is struggling, but that would mean Tate would be playing 30 mpg, which I don't think he is ready for.

So since we are stuck with him, here's how I would utilize him when he is in: Run pick and rolls with him and Hill. Starks has shown that he can consistently make open jumpshots, when he misses it has almost always been due to poor shot selection rather than lack of shooting ability (it was the same problem at oregon state). If they switch on the screen, then Hill is being guarded by a PG which is ideal for him, and Starks can pass it to him when he rolls to the basket. However, what they should do imo, is not switch, and force starks to drive. This would most likely lead to a floater from starks, but he can hit that and if not it is still something positive going towards the basket.

We can also substitute Rice for Hill in this situation, but I think Hill would be able to roll and get a quality shot better than Rice in this situation as he can always shoot over a PG worst case scenario.

I still think that Tate should start. His drives to the hoop in recent games have given me a lot of hope for him in the future. These and 1s he's got in some of the last few games were unheard of last season. Also he is the best passer we have had in a long time, he just needs to have a somewhat respectable jumpshot and I think he can have some success for us.

Also, Hill is a 2, who can play the 3, who we have playing the 4 out of necessity. Definitely not ideal.
How about neither Tate or Starks start. I say Cosby, Nunn, Rice, Hill and Egwu. Get the dang ball up the court and keep the ball alive and move it around. Those 3 guys can handle as long as they don't over dribble. Nunn can't dribble into corners, Cosby just needs a jolt of confidence in that category and Rice can't always be the hero. We don't have Tracy this year, so we don't have a point who can get to the paint, but we do have 4 perimeter oriented guys who have great vision who could run a great motion type offense. I just think without a normal sized point who can get to the hole and occasionally hit a J, we don't have the horses to run the offense Groce has for us. I applaud Groce to sticking to his system, because that is what we are and will be, but he just may have to adjust for the betterment of this season.

How about neither Tate or Starks start. I say Cosby, Nunn, Rice, Hill and Egwu. Get the dang ball up the court and keep the ball alive and move it around. Those 3 guys can handle as long as they don't over dribble. Nunn can't dribble into corners, Cosby just needs a jolt of confidence in that category and Rice can't always be the hero. We don't have Tracy this year, so we don't have a point who can get to the paint, but we do have 4 perimeter oriented guys who have great vision who could run a great motion type offense. I just think without a normal sized point who can get to the hole and occasionally hit a J, we don't have the horses to run the offense Groce has for us. I applaud Groce to sticking to his system, because that is what we are and will be, but he just may have to adjust for the betterment of this season.
Starks can 100% hit a J, don't see why you think having Cosby instead of Starks would be better...that would leave 0 PGs on the floor. Give me Tate over Cosby all day

I wonder what the LaLu team thought of the game on Saturday as they visited tOSU?

Transfers are nice when you have to piece together a team, but I hope DP is the last transfer we have for awhile. I don't want to pin anything on the transfers, because I am not in the locker room, but I just feel they would have a different attitude towards things as they didn't step foot on the campus the same way the rest of the freshman Illini did. A transfer's recruitment is usually rushed and quite different than a player that will be recruited from day 1 to be an Illini. Relationships with the current players and staff are different and the way the blend into the living environment will be way different.

Anyways, I don't know if we will make the dance this year or not, but I have no reason to doubt that we wont gel and make it interesting at the end...that is the M O.
I agree you'd rather have 4 year guys taking up the majority of the roster spots, but I doubt we've seen the last of the transfers at UI. It's simply a part of the landscape today and we're likely to continue to have guys leaving and coming in via transfer. Hopefully they are less frequent going forward.

I wonder what the LaLu team thought of the game on Saturday as they visited tOSU?
You have several types of players in the world of basketball because in the game of basketball it is very easy to turn around a team by adding a player or two.

1.) I don't want to go there because I want to go to a set team that is successful right now

2.) I can see myself going there because I like what they have (coach, facilities etc.) and the playing time is immediate.

Lombard
Starks can 100% hit a J, don't see why you think having Cosby instead of Starks would be better...that would leave 0 PGs on the floor. Give me Tate over Cosby all day
Yes, he absolutely can, but given his skill set and size he isn't getting to the rim or shooting over anyone. He gets his easiest looks moving off the ball or using a series of screens. His best weapon would be a mid-range floater when going towards the hoop or his jumper when he breaks free in the middle of the defense(he had a nice one of those against OSU),but I don't think he understands that.

I will take Cosby, Rice or Nunn and have better defense and an offense that can cut a D. They could get the ball up and get us in an offense, but the ball and players have to be screening and cutting constantly.

I actually think it's the opposite. He lets the other team and players get under his skin and reacts too strongly. He seems to be easily irritated and other teams are pushing his buttons. He handles it really poorly.

He's not sneaky in the way Lucas was. It's like he just gets PO'd and then does something blatant. On top of that other teams players are flopping on any contact from him because they know the refs are watching him.

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Johns Creek, GA
I actually think it's the opposite. He lets the other team and players get under his skin and reacts too strongly. He seems to be easily irritated and other teams are pushing his buttons. He handles it really poorly.

He's not sneaky in the way Lucas was. It's like he just gets PO'd and then does something blatant. On top of that other teams players are flopping on any contact from him because they know the refs are watching him.
This is what I see as well. Lucas was a very smart basketball player who played a role that helped his team. Leron has a lot of work to do to get to that level, and right now is a liability.