Ohio State 77, Illinois 61 POSTGAME

Yeah, having been to most other B1G arenas, the SFC experience is depressingly middle-of-the-pack. Holding out hope a renovated building brings some new life with it.
One big problem is the freaking music they play at SFC is so quiet. It contributes to the morgue-like atmosphere. I sit on the floor and I can barely hear the pump-up music.

I agree the only real solution is the renovation, but the game-day experience at SFC has been lacking lately, even when we've been playing well.

Paul can definitely help and could have also helped this year. Unfortunately, it is not that Egwu or our other bigs have set the bar too high in that respect.

But the statement that it will be hard for other bigs to guard him and he will be able to score in a variety of ways is highly exaggerated based on what I had seen.

Players do develop, and maybe Paul did. But the amount of development in transfer/juco years is often exaggerated by fans. I do expect Paul to help, but I agree with the original post by WVC that I don't expect Paul to be a savior in that respect. I do hope though since we do not have many available options for next year in the current recruiting horizon (spring).
Yep I just mean he will be harder to guard since he has a face up game and is crafty by the basket. He has a very high basketball IQ and is very coordinated unlike Egwu. I'm not trying to bash Egwu but think guy like Paul can help immensely. ( From an offensive perspective).

One big problem is the freaking music they play at SFC is so quiet. It contributes to the morgue-like atmosphere. I sit on the floor and I can barely hear the pump-up music.

I agree the only real solution is the renovation, but the game-day experience at SFC has been lacking lately, even when we've been playing well.
The arena used to be one of the loudest and most intimidating places in the country, back when we had great players and teams (just 10 years ago).

The renovation will be nice, but it isn't the building.

Yep I just mean he will be harder to guard since he has a face up game and is crafty by the basket. He has a very high basketball IQ and is very coordinated unlike Egwu. I'm not trying to bash Egwu but think guy like Paul can help immensely. ( From an offensive perspective).
Remember when some said the same things about Starks vs. Abrams?

Until we see Paul play on a regular basis for Illinois, I'll remain a bit skeptical. He showed flashes of potential at WMU, but he has also had ongoing motivation issues. I would be wary of penciling him as a guy who can help us immensely next year, even offensively.

The arena used to be one of the loudest and most intimidating places in the country, back when we had great players and teams (just 10 years ago).

The renovation will be nice, but it isn't the building.
It sure was. The renovation will hopefully help with things like acoustics, lighting and overall fan experience, but I agree the product on the floor is obviously the biggest factor.

Bad Coaching

Sorry, but this coaching staff is not very good right now. First, I am still confused by the players they are playing. I don't understand why Nunn is not playing 30 minutes a game....weird coaching in 2nd half...Nunn and Rice get confused and they both leave the ball and Nunn gets yanked...very next play on defense...Cosby leaves the ball (no confusion, just leave Shannon Scott) and stays in the game...Starks played way too much, he and Cosby are 10 minute players - end of story...Second, the high pick and roll is not an offense, it is an end of clock play...you get no movement of the defense at all...on top of that, we don't have the right people running it...run it with Rice and Hill. Finally, general observation, Rice, Nunn and Hill need to get the majority of minutes. Nanna needs more rest, let Mav play more...nanna tired isn't good. Tate should play more. We are much better defensively and the ball moves way better on offense. Leron is learning and can come in and give guys rest. Stop thinking we have great depth...we do not...Cosby and Starks are mediocre.

Professional Social Distancer
Virginia
Sorry, but this coaching staff is not very good right now. First, I am still confused by the players they are playing. I don't understand why Nunn is not playing 30 minutes a game....weird coaching in 2nd half...Nunn and Rice get confused and they both leave the ball and Nunn gets yanked...very next play on defense...Cosby leaves the ball (no confusion, just leave Shannon Scott) and stays in the game...Starks played way too much, he and Cosby are 10 minute players - end of story...Second, the high pick and roll is not an offense, it is an end of clock play...you get no movement of the defense at all...on top of that, we don't have the right people running it...run it with Rice and Hill. Finally, general observation, Rice, Nunn and Hill need to get the majority of minutes. Nanna needs more rest, let Mav play more...nanna tired isn't good. Tate should play more. We are much better defensively and the ball moves way better on offense. Leron is learning and can come in and give guys rest. Stop thinking we have great depth...we do not...Cosby and Starks are mediocre.
i dunno.. I watched 3/4s of the game again today and we just have some really subpar BB IQ. I dont think that is fixable. MH is an average player and nothing special in the B1G. He can't create his own shot off dribble. There were countless times he let someone get back picked without helping or switching, and more than a few times where he or AC just trotted by the next open guy. He also tends to hang his head.

I agree we have to stick with less play time for all until those with the highest odds to get us to success get enough play time together to gel. 10 - 12 mins for AC and AS at this point is enough.

Professional Social Distancer
Virginia
I appreciate the Tracy Abrams discussions. I don't think a healthy TA would boost us significantly on O, although steady leadership would certainly be a benefit. TA would also be a better defender than either Starks or Cosby. So he would definitely be an asset this year. And if fully recovered will be an asset next year.

I think most of us have hit on a lot of the things that are wrong with this team. Neither Starks nor Cosby has provided much help. Egwu appears as inept on O as he was 2 years ago. Nunn has not made a sophomore leap, at least yet. Morgan has yet to figure out how to play significant minutes without fouling. We miss Darius Paul being in the rotation up front. Leron Black appears more interested in WWE than in playing winning BB. Groce needs to rein him in quickly. We are impatient and disorganized on O and don't run the Offense the way it's coached. Poor communication and lack of concentration on D.

Still time to right the ship here, but an extended run of poor play will doom this team to the NIT. If that happens JG's seat will be very warm in year 4.
TA rather regularly got to the rim - he didn't always finish - which was frustrating as he** - but for his limited ball handling, he did find ways to the rim - often kicking out to the corner.

We've had very little of that this year - with Tate probably the only exmple...

North Carolina
Remember when some said the same things about Starks vs. Abrams?

Until we see Paul play on a regular basis for Illinois, I'll remain a bit skeptical. He showed flashes of potential at WMU, but he has also had ongoing motivation issues. I would be wary of penciling him as a guy who can help us immensely next year, even offensively.
You have been right most of the time. Starks unfortunately makes me miss Abrams on both offense and defense. Cosby has not demonstrated that he can penetrate and score even if he was shooting better on 3's. Starks is now 64 out of 69 (espn) in qualified fg% while Cosby is 67. This is not what we expected.

Champaign, IL
I was at the game, and I have to say, Ohio state does everything better than we do, and I'm not just talking about on the court. Their arena is great. The game day experience is top notch, from the music they play to the player intros, to their video board animations. Their in time out/halftime entertainment is better. I came away thinking "this is what a top-notch program looks like." Illinois not only looks amateurish in comparison, they just look lazy. I hope mike Thomas was there and took notes, because if we want to play with the big boys, those are the little things that need to be done.

Oh yeah, and then they kicked our butts.
Seriously though. I've been to maybe five games this year and our halftime entertainment has been elementary school basketball teams scrimmaging. WTF.

DIA must be really trying to save some money.

Evansville, IN
I waited a full 24 hours before posting so I didn't say anything in shear anger.

But I still believe it now - that team quit last night. They don't trust each other and they don't play with each other. This is not a "team" in any sense of the word right now.

I'm a huge fan of Groce, but he's at a crossroads right now. He must figure out a way to get these guys to gel, or there will be zero postseason for this team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Los Angeles
I haven't watched every game this year, but was that tirade about Leron from Dakich warranted?

Bloomington
I haven't watched every game this year, but was that tirade about Leron from Dakich warranted?
In short, no. Leron has definitely been excitable, and has thrown one legitimate and completely uncalled for elbow this year. However, the one last game was a flop (still not a good call on Leron's part) and his only previous flagrant or tech was a good hard challenge at the basket. He misjudged it, but there was no ill will or intent on that play.

I like Dakich for about 5 minutes, because he's refreshingly honest. Then you realize that he has almost nothing positive to say beyond his personal relationships and it becomes extremely grating. By the end of the game, I'm hoping to mute him.

Virginia Beach, VA
absolutely, this wasn't his first blatant cheap shot. I agree w/ Dakich opinion. Kid needs to grow up.

Well Dakich tends to inflate some things, but he is correct that Black needs to get his game cleaned up a bit. The whole bit about not being able to think about anything else was a little too much, though.

I waited a full 24 hours before posting so I didn't say anything in shear anger.

But I still believe it now - that team quit last night. They don't trust each other and they don't play with each other. This is not a "team" in any sense of the word right now.

I'm a huge fan of Groce, but he's at a crossroads right now. He must figure out a way to get these guys to gel, or there will be zero postseason for this team.
I agree completely, and I won't be surprised at all if we have several transfers after this season as these guys don't seem to like one another at all. Winning has a way soothing personality conflicts, but losing is certainly exposing some issues.

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
I don't believe Leron is a dirty player. That said, Dakich was mainly talking about the danger of earning a reputation as a dirty player. If Leron isn't careful, there is a risk he will develop that kind of reputation, and those can be hard to shake.

UI Fan in QC Land
I don't believe Leron is a dirty player. That said, Dakich was mainly talking about the danger of earning a reputation as a dirty player. If Leron isn't careful, there is a risk he will develop that kind of reputation, and those can be hard to shake.
Agree. I'm not sure what's going on with him and the elbows. Part of me thinks he is still learning how to use his body and he has a serious wingspan. If it's deliberate then I'm sure Groce knows and will handle it.