Ohio State 77, Illinois 67 POSTGAME

Illinois vs Gonzaga 1st half....Illinois against vs Xavier 2nd half pretty easy...way to many fouls on both sides, but aggressive plays and overall pretty even so that wasn't it.

Deleted member 631370

D
Despite all our flaws, this was a winnable game.......and we minimize our likelihood of winning it by scheduling it away from our home floor.

Good thinking, Josh. Hopefully the marketing was worth it.

Whitmans Sampler

Eastern Iowa
A defense that relies so heavily on taking charges (and hoping the terrible officials make the right call) is a defense that is probably not gonna work in the Big Ten.

Patience my dear friends.

We are getting there.

Reduced fouls on our end. Increased fouls on their end.

Need to clean up "layups". What is that you ask?

We only have about 5 high major players on the team and the officials didn't cost us the game but that was the worst officiated game I have ever seen. Just embarrassing for those officials and the Big Ten.

They showed signs that’s for sure. It’s going to get worse before it gets better. The officiating didn’t help.

I don’t blame BU for continuing to drive to the hoop in the 2nd half, we got the lead and the ft advantage in the first half doing just that. Imho, tOSU did not change the way they were playing defense, we simply could not get a call, I believe that played a part in all the missed lay-ups, however small

At some point you have to hit your GD bunnies, but it’s infuriating how little respect we get from the refs. They stopped calling fouls when we were attacking the rim and completely neutered our defense by calling three or four soft fouls right off the bat in the second half.

You can set a clock by it. The refs know we’re bad and it shows.

Despite all our flaws, this was a winnable game.......and we minimize our likelihood of winning it by scheduling it away from our home floor.

Good thinking, Josh. Hopefully the marketing was worth it.

Agree it was a bad call for the game to be played here vs home, at least the guys played hard, stayed in it for most of the game and gave some recruits hopefully a some sort of sign as to why they want to come here...that said well the future recruit well as of now in Chicago is fairly limited to:

Shannon ( who knows)
Walker (small guard)
2020 all guards
2021 who knows - who really cares so far out?

I don’t blame BU for continuing to drive to the hoop in the 2nd half, we got the lead and the ft advantage in the first half doing just that. Imho, tOSU did not change the way they were playing defense, we simply could not get a call, I believe that played a part in all the missed lay-ups, however small

To that point, once Wesson got his 3rd down low, it was incredible how much they shifted the way they were whistling the game.

I mentioned this in the game thread, we did the right thing attacking the rim trying to get his 4th, refs just decided they weren't going to call it.

When Ohio State started pounding it inside to start the second half the whole game changed. We get pounded on the boards in the second half every game

They can't shoot. They shot 33% or so. Ohio St. 48% from 2. Williams has to shoot the ball much better. Ayo has to shoot much better. Feliz the same. Choked in the second half! They panicked and started making dumb decisions on offense. Bad drives to the basket just hoping for a foul.