Ohio State 77, Illinois 67 POSTGAME

The fouls called were even across the board, maybe some were called at the wrong times, maybe some were called at the right times...ILLINI cannot put this game on the officials.

22-26 last night in foul calls. 14-19 turnover comparision, might that have something to do with it? 32% vs 47%fg .....I mean I get the point, but why always is this reason? Just wasn't and usually isn't...we got to be better is all! Simple, why does every game HAVE to come down to we got hosed, we got homered, we got.......more fouls called against us?

Of course we did, we play an ultra aggressive type of defense, we WILL always have more calls against us. We have got to score and be more efficient with our offense to off set what WILL always happen during our defense.

We played great ILLINI ball for a long stretch in 1st half, didn't sustain it as usual, and lost.
Please, Feliz got called for tripping where replay showed he never even made contact with the OSU kid and Frazier's charge in the backcourt where he only barely got two feet join the ground, took him out of the game. He's our key player and that call was ridiculous, even Hummel said as much.

Ayo finding out defenses in Division One are a bit more to handle than in AAU.
Every freshman finds this out the hard way. I have watched every Duke televised game this year and even the top 2 picks in next years NBA draft (Zion and RJ) struggled at times forcing it in the lane or getting too deep on their drives. Much more physical and everyone is 2 to 4 inches taller on average.

Ayo is half the athlete of those two Duke players and driving and dunking has never been his game. People knew he would have to develop offensively as being a “great layup maker” doesn’t translate to 20+ pts a game in high major college basketball. That being said, he has played well and I think he is still trying to figure out his overall role offensively on this team and how he fits in BU’s scheme. Kid is going to be a stud here.

B

Before last night he was shooting 45% from the field and over 50% from 3, averaging just under 5 boards a game with 24 assists and 16 TOs. You were expecting better than that?
I stand by my statement and I’m not sure how your response refutes it in any way. Did I say he wasn’t playing up to my expectations? Go strawman someone else...

A couple things stood out to me last night more so than before:

1. There are plays to be made (rebounds, putbacks, loose balls, open driving lanes) but we simply don't have the athletes to make them.
2. This has been said about BU before, but anytime a player or a lineup of players gets into a rhythm, they get pulled out shortly thereafter.

Please, Feliz got called for tripping where replay showed he never even made contact with the OSU kid and Frazier's charge in the backcourt where he only barely got two feet join the ground, took him out of the game. He's our key player and that call was ridiculous, even Hummel said as much.
Okay so that is 2 different examples out of 26 and what are the 2 specific bad fouls against Ohio State....you and I both know they existed. Just saying, I will stand behind my post. There is always and I mean always an outcry when our beloved lose...woe is me, the wolf is crying. Gimme a break we did not lose due to officiating. Was it bad, yes but it was bad both ways. Win on talent and playing 40 minutes, hell even Kipper said that.

I found it interesting that after Wesson’s Foul at the 17:22 mark in the second half, the fouls went 11-1 in favor of tOSU until the 6:01 mark when they called two fouls on tOSU, the score was 71-58

We have been a poor shooting team for the last 10 years it seems. Every off season we believe we will be improved, but so far it's been the same old story. Not sure why.
I was thinking about our teams over the last several years and the thing I always notice is the stark lack of athleticism for a high major program. We don’t have guys with quick twitch. Seems like our guys always look robotic and stiff. This is especially true for bugs but holds true for many guards to.

All of you are probably right about the officiating either way. I have no real idea; some things looked sketchy to me, though. The only officlals I have ever respected were in wrestling and baseball. God bless umps!

Last edited:
I was thinking about our teams over the last several years and the thing I always notice is the stark lack of athleticism for a high major program. We don’t have guys with quick twitch. Seems like our guys always look robotic and stiff. This is especially true for bugs but holds true for many guards to.
And they look like they have no idea what to do. Coach: respond.

I thought we played pretty well for 30 mins. But as good as you can play at periods of time, at the end, you are who you are. You will not be able to sustain just the "good" portions of your game, your gaps will take a toll on your team in the long run.

We need to drastically upgrade the talent on the team with recruiting, and recruiting has to become consistent with no positional gaps. Missing on fall recruiting and ending up with bad fall recruiting classes, then scrambling to find multiple recruits in the Spring to fill gaps is not a sign of progress in a program.

People will always be able to point to some positive signs and players, but most teams can do the same. We will always be able to say "look at player X or Y, they will get better as they grow, they are young." Sure, but Ohio State and multiple others can say the exact same thing, even with more confidence. Don't you think Luther Muhammad (playing despite an injury and without his jersey) and Duane Washington, both freshmen, won't get better? Of course they will, and then they bring EJ Liddell (who IMO will be a stud) and Alonzo Gaffney on top of that.

The gap with some of the better teams in B1G is getting bigger at this point in terms of talent.
Spot-on post!

Two of the states top PGs have committed to ILL in the last 2 years and Underwood has turned neither of them into immediate successes. I really believe this could hurt recruiting if Ayo doesn't succeed.
If you cannot create your shot, you can not create a player...btw Ayo will be just fine he is easily a 3-4yr 5* player. Once he gets the floater/mid range shot down, then watch out...at least he can create that for himself. He just has to learn what that looks like and take advantage of that when possible.

If you cannot create your shot, you can not create a player...btw Ayo will be just fine he is easily a 3-4yr 5* player. Once he gets the floater/mid range shot down, then watch out...at least he can create that for himself. He just has to learn what that looks like and take advantage of that when possible.
Maybe someone should coach him as to what he should and should not be doing? Maybe they could run plays to get him open? Good coaches put people in a position to succeed. I am not seeing that imho

NCAA refs have been brutal this year. Too many questionable calls, way too inconsistent.

That said, they have cost Illinois exactly zero games. We are definitely fouling more than the other teams.

I found it interesting that after Wesson’s Foul at the 17:22 mark in the second half, the fouls went 11-1 in favor of tOSU until the 6:01 mark when they called two fouls on tOSU, the score was 71-58
Thanks for that stat Go. That is a head scratcher.

What I mentioned earlier, that wesson had 4 fouls, maybe that one, 17:22, or a couple of minutes later, and no one attempted to foul him out. I hope I am wrong on that. But how can that be?

---------

The main problem is the inefficient offense, lots of energy output per bucket attempt, and on defense. Anyone in physics will understand that. They can't spend energy like that the whole game, the whole season. At OK state, 0-6 until BU decides to pull the defensive guards back, protect the middle more.Ok made the NCAA tourney at 9-9. Has he forgotten?

No need for center to leave the bucket area.
On offense, virtually no screens are set, why not if one wishes to open a man? Running back door isn't going to win a game. Self ran high-lows, and other strategies, energy efficient. We need another big man on the court at the same time. Versatility is the name of the game.

How can we miss 13 layups? We need to practice those, and also with guys in their faces as well. Yes, running fast one can easily make them, I did
and I was a world class sprinter 50 meters, am 5' 6", did not dunk it.

I just don't understand why no basic basketball.

keep on truckin

joe

Last edited:
Maybe someone should coach him as to what he should and should not be doing? Maybe they could run plays to get him open? Good coaches put people in a position to succeed. I am not seeing that imho
Agreed Ayo should be taught the mid range...he can create and learn it. The other PG not so sure about that and I think it will prove it out again this year for Mizzou. We will see when he has Ayo/Williams/Jordan or Frazier hawking him.

OFL Supplier, BU's Brylcreem
Virginia
The thing that is just killing us this year is the loss of Leron Black.
Agree but suggest that what's killing us is Kipper not picking up where LB left off. He has all the skills and more to have been a swap for LB and get more rebounds. We need kipper to be the guy on this team ala Ray Rice (without the hero ball).

I suggest it's the calmer hair style - he should go back to the wild look.