Ohio State 77, Illinois 67 POSTGAME

Worst start for Illini Basketball in 111 years......great.

Anyone who didn't see this as a true possibility with the 6th most difficult schedule in the country was just kidding themselves.

I feel for these guys, the talents not there in a defensive system that is taking this much time to learn. To be forced to play this schedule and then to pile on, our admin thinks it wise to take our first home BIG game (when students are still on campus) and send it 2 hours north.

If we don't have two more bigs and another small forward that can at least hold up against major college talent.. next year will be a struggle also. Kipper is showing some signs of life but too many drives into bigs with little to show for it

I would have liked to have seen them put up more 3s in transition. Especially since they couldn't buy a layup...

I do think this team has the feel of OK States team that started 0-6 and finished 9-9 in the conference. If we pull it together SOON, I could see us going 8-10 in conference. Still wont make the tournament, but respectable.

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
I don't think I can recall a more brutal beginning of the season in terms of schedule difficulty. All of our losses have been against teams who are looking to be competing for a tourney bid at the end of the season. I guess it's better that we know now the issues of this team instead of inflating our win total with a bunch of cupcakes only to have our flaws exposed in Big Ten play.

illini80

Forgottonia
I'll just say this. A month ago this looked like a very winnable game, so I have no problem with the scheduling. The problem is what we thought could be a competitive team with AD in the lineup is anything but. Giorgi is the lone player living up to expectations.

Honest question, can the Illini lose a game without fans complaining about the refs? It seems like every game people blame the officiating for the outcome.
The frustration is understandable, but blaming officials is useless. Illinois has one player that can create his own shot (Frazier) , is severely out sized and very young. This is the 2018/2019 reality.

Deleted member 626650

D
I do think this team has the feel of OK States team that started 0-6 and finished 9-9 in the conference. If we pull it together SOON, I could see us going 8-10 in conference. Still wont make the tournament, but respectable.

That team had an NBA pg and leadership at other positions on the floor. This team is nothing like that.

IllFanInMi

I

This should be in fluorescent orange.

Deleted member 29907

D
What’s worse? Officiating or Minnesota’s court?
Close call - looks like an ice rink and hurts my eyes. Same guy hire Pitino and Mr. Row the Boat? The good decisions just keep coming at Minny.

I think you are very wrong...the big ten is very good this year...we are not..hope you are right...hope the market is up two thousand tomorrow too.

Deleted member 29907

D
Would like to see them run a few more looks for Jordan from the 3 since he shot 1,000% from there.
I love Frazier, but he's in charge out there and both Kipper and AJ should have been the focus. AJ was being closely guarded - but I have no idea why we couldn't back door that if so.