Ohio State 77, Illinois 67 POSTGAME

The officiating did not cost the game but some of the calls are really bad. Late in game OSU guard falls down around free throw line and Nichols i thing gets bogus foul. Down by 6 i believe they make 2 throws now 8. This is called choking ur whistle. Underwood, better get on refs or they will blow whistle all year long whether earned or not.

IllFanInMi

I
Refs did not beat us, location of game did not beat us. We don't have enough bigs
But at least we have an athletic wing getting all sorts of experience and developing nicely, NOT!

Illinivek23

Gurnee
Looked at times like they were trying harder to run the offense. Saw some good things. If we could just covert half of the bunnies, we are much further ahead and less frustrated.

The ungluing of BU is not a good look and message to the team on staying the course and grinding away. Makes Keady look rather docile...

We only have about 5 high major players on the team and the officials didn't cost us the game but that was the worst officiated game I have ever seen. Just embarrassing for those officials and the Big Ten.
Honest question, can the Illini lose a game without fans complaining about the refs? It seems like every game people blame the officiating for the outcome.

Thank you

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Looked at times like they were trying harder to run the offense. Saw some good things. If we could just covert half of the bunnies, we are much further ahead and less frustrated.

The ungluing of BU is not a good look and message to the team on staying the course and grinding away. Makes Keady look rather docile...
Agree on losing his cool at the end. If you're going to go off, do it while it can do some good.

I lived in Lafayette for 12 of the Keady years. Underwood is not in his league in terms of craziness, nor effectively working officials with the craziness. We forget over time.

I can live with this result. The system showed that it could be effective. Putting Kipper in mismatches was something I thought we would see every game. Happy to finally see it.

Sometimes it comes down to simply making a shot. Damonte and Adonis are frustrating because they are so sound fundamentally. Damonte has a perfect looking jumper. Adonis makes some really nice post moves. But neither guy hardly ever gets the ball through the hoop.

SycIllini

Sycamore, Illinois
Ohio State shot 47% from the field, we shot 32% One does not win many games in the Big 10 shooting 32% We need to find a way to get better shots.

The difference in the way tOSU (and Nebraska, and lots of teams frankly) gets their shots and the way we get ours is very noticeable IMO. Not every possession but, many times they are able to dribble into a mid range shot. Or one ball screen opens up a shot. We never seem to get a shot that easily much less a good shot.

Honest Question, do u believe that game was evenly officiated? I have no idea if we win the game with the way we are playing, but the inconsistency in the officiating was obvious.

Every time I watch a game I believe there are multiple calls that go against us that really frustrates me. But when the game is over and we lose by double digits I will never blame the refs.

Honest question, can the Illini lose a game without fans complaining about the refs? It seems like every game people blame the officiating for the outcome.

I would say losses 3-6 were squarely on bad play. The loss tonight was evenly on the refs and the team. The team put us on a position to be down 13 with a few minutes left. The refs unfairly neutralized trent, giorgi and made sure we didnt get the ball back when we were down 6.

In addition, we were getting killed on the block/charge call all night. It was being called against us on both sides.

Deleted member 236589

D
13 missed layups!! Wow. I knew there a lot, but had no clue it was that many until the radio guys threw the stat out there. The offense did what it was supposed to do. It created good looks and high percentage shots. If they convert on half of the bunnies...they win.

Guards have to get tougher and more physical. Tougher for Trent because of his size, but he has the learn to finish three feet from the hoop.

BU was frustrated beyond belief on the post game....as was Deon for that matter.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
I thought the officiating was fine in the first half. Called it evenly and let them play. But like how the strike zone seems to change later in the ballgame, they seemed to change in the second half.

Has to be confusing and frustrating.

What if this team does get regularly screwed by the refs, though? We take an average number of twos but are almost at the bottom in free throw attempts. It doesn’t square up, and I don’t feel bad complaining about it.

Save the Calvinist lectures for Sunday morning, thanks.

I can live with this result. The system showed that it could be effective. Putting Kipper in mismatches was something I thought we would see every game. Happy to finally see it.

Sometimes it comes down to simply making a shot. Damonte and Adonis are frustrating because they are so sound fundamentally. Damonte has a perfect looking jumper. Adonis makes some really nice post moves. But neither guy hardly ever gets the ball through the hoop.
Damonte trying to play small forward and power forward when he is an undersized two. It wears him out. He would be a decent player on a good team with chances to score within the offense. He is not big enough/athletic enough to take it to the hole. This roster is poorly constructed. Understand its year two but next year better look a lot different

It's been said many times, i'll say it again IL had no business playing this game at UC. 5200 people! This did not help recruiting or the "brand" as they say. Helped OSU though. We don't have to play at State Farm , great. Are we returning the favor what you think we're nuts. The AD job is to put your team in the best position to win which Whitman failed to do. For those who say playing at the Farm would not have resulted in a win that is not relevant. You play your B10 home games at home!

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
The officiating did not cost the game but some of the calls are really bad. Late in game OSU guard falls down around free throw line and Nichols i thing gets bogus foul. Down by 6 i believe they make 2 throws now 8. This is called choking ur whistle. Underwood, better get on refs or they will blow whistle all year long whether earned or not.
College games have become a never-ending series of block/charge calls. Leaving way too much up to the referees.

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
Refs and small crowds aren’t the problem guys. This teams performance is remarkably consistent: play close for 30 minutes, go down double digits, furious comeback and lose in last minutes. It’s uncanny. Happened a lot last year with mostly different squad.