Ohio State attempts to trademark the word "The"

I doubt it goes through, but it's easy to understand the rationale behind it. OSU has national academic and athletic brand recognition, with "The" being a major component of that.

They're shooting their shot, and I don't blame them.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
I guess these guys will have to start paying double royalties...

I doubt it goes through, but it's easy to understand the rationale behind it. OSU has national academic and athletic brand recognition, with "The" being a major component of that.

They're shooting their shot, and I don't blame them.

Swing and a miss....to use another sport's phrase.

aiwpfan

Springfield, Il
uofm.jpg

Deleted member 590820

D
That crap university can trademark an offensive word like the but we can’t honor the Chief. That’s BS man. The NCAA can huff my sack!

Deleted member 29907

D
Swing and a miss....to use another sport's phrase.
Agree - its one thing to have a positive brand (although my opinion is the "THE" is only recognized more locally and not nationally) but for those who see it outside of their fanbase, I would guess the reaction ranges from negative to :poop:.

So if the Brand message they are going for is predominately negative - this is more like, swing, miss and the bat catches you in the nads...

I see the patent office rejected this request. Have to assume An Ohio State will appeal.

They denied Tom Brady's attempt to patent "Tom Terrific" which was used to refer to Tom Seaver beginning in the mid-60s assumedly before Brady's parents were even married. Tone down the arrogance a couple notches people!

Deleted member 645583

D
They denied Tom Brady's attempt to patent "Tom Terrific" which was used to refer to Tom Seaver beginning in the mid-60s assumedly before Brady's parents were even married. Tone down the arrogance a couple notches people!
Uh, Tom Terrific was one of my favorite TV cartoon characters in the 50s, along with his faithful Mighty Manfred and villain Crabby Appleton. Hello: there are some things you just can't appropriate, copyright or trademark.