Ohio State: Urban Meyer suspended 3 games

The good news is that it seems that standards have really genuinely changed when it comes to prominent men abusing people who they have power over.

The bad news is that this is new, and there's going to continue be stories that come out where the decisions were made under the old prevailing societal standards, and so we have to listen to people lie and lie and lie about it.

I tire of listening to lies that both me and the liar know they're going to get away with, y'know?

Scapegoating exists for a reason. Obviously I want those who actually did the crime to do the time, but there has to be some sort of accountability amongst superiors.

Scapegoating exists for a reason. Obviously I want those who actually did the crime to do the time, but there has to be some sort of accountability amongst superiors.
I am genuinely appalled that people who know of abuse do nothing about that abuse. But with that said, I also genuinely do not understand how it is Meyer's responsibility to regulate his assistant's marriage. Would someone explain this to me? She has the entire US legal system open to her, why is Meyer supposed to replace that system? I'm not trying to be an apologist or anything for him, I just want to understand more perspectives than my own. TY to any responders

I am genuinely appalled that people who know of abuse do nothing about that abuse. But with that said, I also genuinely do not understand how it is Meyer's responsibility to regulate his assistant's marriage. Would someone explain this to me? She has the entire US legal system open to her, why is Meyer supposed to replace that system? I'm not trying to be an apologist or anything for him, I just want to understand more perspectives than my own. TY to any responders

I was more speaking to things that happen inside a program like MSU/PSU than what this OSU this (as it currently stands, which as we know can make a complete 180 at any time). I agree with basically everything you say. From purely a coaches standpoint, you're right it isn't his responsibility to babysit each of his coaches and expect them to all be angels. However, from a moral/decent human being standpoint, if he knew about this abuse he should've reported it to someone.

As for repercussions, I have two conflicting thoughts. One he's got a unique job that goes beyond just coaching football, whether coaches admit/take responsibility for this is another topic, but includes being a mentor and influential voice for kids who are in some of the most formative years of their lives. It is my opinion that he has a responsibility to instill, among other things, a good moral compass in his players. Ignoring abuse, when he has the power to make an example of this guy, is not the right way of doing this.

On the other hand, this isn't football related, and after all, hes a football coach first. Not that that makes him immune to justice, but like you said, he isn't the legal system. Its disgraceful, but firing him over this is definitely a little premature.

I don’t know all the details of the situation, but I imagine it’s supposed to work something like this:

Urban Meyer is in a mandatory reporter position as an employee of a publicly funded institution. Urban Meyer learns of abuse and is required to report it up his proper chain of command (don’t know if he did this or not). Assume he did and then his superiors report it up the proper chain of command or to authorities. Urban Meyer is legally safe but morally questionable for not firing an abuser. Or assume he doesn’t report it and then he is in violation of his requirement to report, where he is now legally and morally in the dumps.

Now he shouldn’t be in charge of his assistants marriage or whatever, but it is reasonable to question Urban’s judgement if a guy who can’t control himself is kept in a position to mold young males into men.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
There are rumors floating around the internet that Urban Meyer is going to step down. I would be shocked if this happened. It is odd OSU hasn't commented yet. Dan Wetzel from Yahoo is calling for him to be fired.

I don’t know all the details of the situation, but I imagine it’s supposed to work something like this:

Urban Meyer is in a mandatory reporter position as an employee of a publicly funded institution. Urban Meyer learns of abuse and is required to report it up his proper chain of command (don’t know if he did this or not). Assume he did and then his superiors report it up the proper chain of command or to authorities. Urban Meyer is legally safe but morally questionable for not firing an abuser. Or assume he doesn’t report it and then he is in violation of his requirement to report, where he is now legally and morally in the dumps.

Now he shouldn’t be in charge of his assistants marriage or whatever, but it is reasonable to question Urban’s judgement if a guy who can’t control himself is kept in a position to mold young males into men.

But the report talks about how the wife filed for a restraining order and the coach was arrested (separate instances). The police were called by the wife in Gainesville, the whole thing has come out of police reports. I'm not seeing a cover up. What is Meyers supposed to report? Call the police and tell them that they arrested a guy for domestic battery so they should probably investigate if he committed domestic battery?

Further, does texting someone's wife really trigger a mandatory report? That's a couple levels of hearsay there.

Having his "life coach" talk the woman out of filing charges is clearly an issue, but I'm lost as to how Title IX works in here.

It sounds like this is one of the cases where the cover up is worse than the lie. Meyer is getting in trouble for lying about knowing at previous Media Days.

Deleted member 631370

D
No way in hell they fire Meyer. That guy is on the path to become one of the greatest 3-4 coaches in history, and will almost certainly get Ohio State at least another national title or two.

Will he resign? Doubt it.

But it does expose him as the fake holy man he is. Always preaching about ethics and values and rules, but underneath it all, a real scumbag.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83

I think him lying about knowing it occurred is bad, not so bad to get fired over.

If he enabled the abuser-coach, and used his influence to sweep it under the rug, and it can be easily proven, then there is a case for him to be suspended for more than just the meaningless game against Saint Somewhere St. No way he gets fired and I don't think its of that caliber of offense, as bad as it is. More facts are really needed to know exactly what he did after he knew of the abuse. But I am soooo tired of him hiding behind his catholic faith , just as so many evil priests have done

The abuser-coach deserves not only to be fired, but should have other consequences as well.

Perhaps we should try to poach some players...release the Beckmans!!

Kidding aside, I'm glad there's a shift towards accountability.

Last edited:

Deleted member 631370

D
Perhaps we should try to poach some players...release the Beckmans!!

Kidding aside, I'm glad there's a shift towards accountability.

Absolutely. The #MeToo movement runs the risk of innocent people being tarred and feathered by false accusations, but on the whole, it's increasing accountability for the rich and powerful and raising the costs of domestic abuse. That's a good thing.

If you're a big time coach or athletic director, all of this -- the Meyer situation, the Michigan State drama, etc. -- needs to send a very powerful message that such behavior must be dealt with immediately and transparently. Even if it costs you your top assistant or your top player, the costs of covering it up are just too high. But, that's the thing......too many of the said rich and powerful suffer from a hubris that blinds them to accountability, and they think that they can indeed get away with this stuff. I hope those days are closing.

Deleted member 631370

D
Probably.

However I'm calling Meyer to LSU! SEC is win at all costs and beat Saban!

I'm guessing the investigation will find that he knew, took no action, and will be handed a 3-game suspension as a result. He will express his deepest regret, reiterate his support for women and abhorrence of violence against women, and vow to donate money to an anti-violence charity.

And that'll be the end of it.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
I'm guessing the investigation will find that he knew, took no action, and will be handed a 3-game suspension as a result. He will express his deepest regret, reiterate his support for women and abhorrence of violence against women, and vow to donate money to an anti-violence charity.

And that'll be the end of it.

Pretty much how I see it . A one game suspension is probably not enough and they will make it 2 or 3 games . I’ll be really surprised if things aren’t back to normal by the first B10 game .

He’s the kind of guy who tolerates some coach beating up his spouse UNLESS said spouse was his daughter .

Then it’s different .

It’s high time that all people , especially those making big money or in high profile positions , get held to the same standard as John Doe .