OTL Report on Michigan State

OTL: Michigan State secrets extend far beyond Larry Nassar case

Outside the Lines also has obtained never-before-publicized reports of sexual or violent incidents involving members of Izzo's storied basketball program, including one report made against a former undergraduate student-assistant coach who was allowed to continue coaching after he had been criminally charged for punching a female MSU student in the face at a bar in 2010. A few months later, after the Spartans qualified for the 2010 Final Four, the same assistant coach was accused of sexually assaulting a different female student.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...on-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

ILLINIWEK86

Dick Vitale walks into a bar..
Fisher
Heads are beginning to role... Outside The Lines is prepared to give the knock out punch.

I think it's time for Dan to change the title of the thread again.

Maybe: Michigan State athletics investigation(s)

This went from a similar to PSU scandal to something that I dont think a lot of people could've imagine. If MSU doesnt get the death penalty, I think any supporters left of the NCAA need to take along hard look at how they deal with crimes within programs.

What happened to the people who were assaulted/abused was not right. There are not words to convey what they must have went through, the emotional scars or how it may have forever changed them.

That said, hope our house is clean as everything any school has covered up over the years will come to light in the next few weeks. March madness is just around the corner & the media will have the spotlight shining bright searching for headlines.

This went from a similar to PSU scandal to something that I dont think a lot of people could've imagine. If MSU doesnt get the death penalty, I think any supporters left of the NCAA need to take along hard look at how they deal with crimes within programs.

They are not going to get the death penalty. If Penn State didn't get the death penalty, Michigan State won't either.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Whoa, this looks bad for MSU. Might be some long term issues for both bball and fball. Coaches could be gone.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Uhhhhh.....

"...the attorney told her how Dantonio, the football coach, had dealt with a sexual assault accusation against one of his players: He had the player talk to his mother about what he had done."

Uhhhhh.....

"...the attorney told her how Dantonio, the football coach, had dealt with a sexual assault accusation against one of his players: He had the player talk to his mother about what he had done."

He should have had him talk to the victim's father (in addition to reporting it to the police).

frozenrope9190

Aurora, IL
Izzo has got to go.

And U of I better make sure they are squeaky clean and make any necessary changes to ensure they are. And every other school in the country. This should not continue anywhere.

Izzo has got to go.

And U of I better make sure they are squeaky clean and make any necessary changes to ensure they are. And every other school in the country. This should not continue anywhere.

There is too much money involved. As long at there are millions of dollars at stake, people will keep doing these things.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
When the Art Briles and Baylor scandal broke, I believe it was the women's basketball coach who came out and said: "This isn't just a Baylor problem." At the time she was blasted as insensitive and trying to help Baylor save face. Those may have been her reasons, so I am not trying to feel sorry for her. But because of that outrage, I think many overlooked what was said. Someone from the inside saying this isn't a one-time problem, this is happening in too many places. Start digging, and don't be ok finding a couple problem. Try to find them all.

Izzo has got to go.

I have no delusions about nothing scummy ever happening at Illinois, but considering Darius Paul was kicked off the team for various alcohol-related incidents, and Kendrick Nunn was kicked off the team for domestic battery, and the entire football program was nuked from orbit due to Beckman’s misconduct, plus Mike Thomas getting the boot for all of the above plus the issues with softball and women’s basketball, I would guess Illinois hasn’t had the degree of institutional scum that MSU has.

Our players and coaches have certainly done bad things. It doesn’t look like Illinois covers it up.

It creates a real problem of the uneven playing field. Every college sports fan knows it’s there, even if they can’t articulate why it’s there. Certain schools and programs will always be better than others because they get to play by a different set of rules. John Groce would probably still be here if the institution would have just covered up what Paul and Nunn did.

Didn't take the "Izzo is gone" comments seriously until I read the report. Holy frijoles.

Let this go on the record that this is one of the few times I feel grateful that we've had squeaky clean Bruce Weber and motivational speaker John Groce leading the basketball program.

Recent headlines should tell us everything we need to know about scandals like this: If it exists in the outside world, it exists on campus because the students are drawn from the general population. And this stuff gets covered up everywhere by people who should know better, from the local city council, to large corporation boardrooms, to our elected royalty in Congress, to the flippin' White House. We shouldn't be surprised that it rears its' ugly head on campuses around the country. But we should have the tools to deal with it - swiftly, fairly, and without prejudice. And with complete transparency.

Now let me get my rose-colored glasses back on, grab my bag of popcorn, sit back and watch things unfold . . . .:popcorn:

In other news, was just reading how LSU landed No 21 recruit Emmitt Williams. Timing may be everything...

"Williams was arrested in October on sexual battery and false imprisonment charges after a female friend accused him of holding her against her will in her apartment and having sex with her despite her attempts to stop him. Those charges were dropped in December."
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ams-oak-ridge-high-school-florida-commits-lsu

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
College programs across the country are plagued by this. Far too many misplaced priorities among those in positions of responsibility.

People also need to realize how often these things go unreported as well. It takes tremendous courage for a victim to come forward. That's only amplified when the assailant is a college athlete. Not only does the victim have to go through the criminal process, but they have to face a backlash from "fans" who are more interested in their team than justice for the victim.

t7nich

Central IL
I find it unlikely that Izzo gets the boot, but that's just me.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Personally, I don't think the NCAA has any real business in this matter, just like I didn't feel like they did in the PSU matter. This isn't a matter of cheating in competition or academic fraud; this is a potential criminal matter. Let the justice system handle it like they should. It is outside of the NCAA's mandate.

I can't stand the NCAA for a lot of reasons, but this isn't one of them.

I see the MSU and PSU as 2 different cases. MSU involved student-athletes. PSU didn't.