Penn State 72, Illinois 56 POSTGAME

Bverdec

West Palm Beach, FL
Everyone in this program should be ashamed of themselves right now.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
A sampling of teams ranked higher than us in Kenpom

Wofford
Buffalo
UCF
Utah State
Lipscomb
Furman
Toledo
Liberty
Fresno State
San Francisco
East Tennessee State

According to College Basketball Reference's SOS rating, Illinois played the 2nd toughest strength of schedule in program history this year. Behind only the '89 Flyin' Illini.
Well hopefully Underwood passes on the we will play anyone anywhere mato so we can have a chance to get in the tournament. Just don't schedule Florida Atlantic technology school of blind again. I know he didn't have much say in this years schedule and definitely prisoner of the moment. Just have to win next year no ifs ans or buts.

Those numbers are spot on kenpom is really good at basketball rankings. Good stuff

Yeah I'm sorry but we we're actually on the bubble couple of those years and the bigten was better at the top most of those years.
Well we also had better experience and players during those 2014 and 2015 years. 2016-2018 we absolutely looked to have more promise this year than those teams did IMO

Deleted member 631370

D
Does nittany mean annoying in Pennslyvanish?

Unfortunately, I think it means "5 straight wins over Illinois in a sport that PSU fans don't care about".

This team has been an albatross since the infamous Rich McBride retracted game winner in '06.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Outside of Feliz, our PGs are soft.

Damonte might do small things, but he is absolutely brutal on the offensive end.

Griffin/Jones??????

Finishing around the rim is kipper Nichols kryptonite.

Saying “next year” is getting really old.

Understatement of the year.....he hasn't done anything to be a starter let alone get more minutes than AG or TJ....He's averaging 3.2 pts and 2.3 reb per game...I believe he had 4-5 TO's today and he ran away from that Reeves steal and dunk.

JMHO, but if DW is seeing the court for major minutes next year then I will have to question BU's thinking as a coach...

This was the year to play Alan and Tev at least 20 mins a game and suffer thru their learning curve ...What I saw this year was doing the same weave thinghy and screen handoff that other teams handled with ease...

If kipper had Dre's heart he might have been averaging double digits and gained some accolades...Suffice to say , we need serious help in ALL aspects of the team from coaching on down....

I'm tired of waiting till next year to see the same crap.....play pack line D and get some players who want to attack the rim and won't back down....

JMHO

Punesguy

Ft. Collins, CO
Now that we’re through the season, overall I think we’ve made progress. Here are my top 10 observations:
1. Giorgio is a great spirit and will end up one of UI’s best big men ever.
2. Ayo is really good but I believe he will be back next year.
3. AG and TJ bring a lot of athleticism. I hope they’re back next year.
4. I’d love to see what Samba can do next year ... hopefully it’s in an Illini uniform.
5. I will miss AJ ... fantastic representation for UI.
6. Not sure why Trent was so streaky this year (29 minutes and 3 it’s today) but he’s still one of my favorites.
7. Kipper’s inconsistency made me scratch my head all year. Not sure why he got so much time today. If he’s back, AG and TJ should get the majority of his time next year.
8. Williams must have pics of BU because having him start every game and play the minutes he played is embarrassing. The last 3 games he played 53 minutes and had 6 points.
9. BU has had moments of greatness and moments I’m sure he’d like to forget ... especially in the 2nd half of numerous games.
10. Can’t wait to see Kofi with Giorgi next year. We saw a glimpse of it today with Giorgi and ADLR.

While the NCAA and NIT probably won’t happen, I’d love to see us play hard, win a game or two and makes some teams miserable. Go Illini!:shield:

Deleted member 236589

D
A sampling of teams ranked higher than us in Kenpom

Wofford
Buffalo
UCF
Utah State
Lipscomb
Furman
Toledo
Liberty
Fresno State
San Francisco
East Tennessee State
If it makes you feel any better, the first four on that list are going to the NCAA's and three of those teams are ranked.

Furman could be an at-large team(on the Bubble) and Liberty just won their conference tournament and are in.

Not sure what type of season Fresno State is having.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
If it makes you feel any better, the first four on that list are going to the NCAA's and three of those teams are ranked.

Furman could be an at-large team(on the Bubble) and Liberty just won their conference tournament and are in.

Not sure what type of season Fresno State is having.

shhhh......you're disrupting the narrative with facts.

Remember seeing something a couple of years ago "We will Win". Must have been a dream.

Im watching on delay as I had a commitment this morning then wanted to watch the Bradley game....4 minutes to go in the first.....should I keep watching?

Defense Defense Defense.... it never looked good in any games.
The idea was to create turnovers, but when teams weren’t bothered by pressure; or the guards were too good to turn over the ball then they get wide open threes and uncontested layups. I think thet exerted too much energy trying to create turnovers and not enough just playing solid defense and forcing teams to take difficult shots. A new defensive scheme needs to be implemented soon.

I’m confident the offense will actually improve though.