Penn State 72, Illinois 56 POSTGAME

Understatement of the year.....he hasn't done anything to be a starter let alone get more minutes than AG or TJ....He's averaging 3.2 pts and 2.3 reb per game...I believe he had 4-5 TO's today and he ran away from that Reeves steal and dunk.

JMHO, but if DW is seeing the court for major minutes next year then I will have to question BU's thinking as a coach...

This was the year to play Alan and Tev at least 20 mins a game and suffer thru their learning curve ...What I saw this year was doing the same weave thinghy and screen handoff that other teams handled with ease...

If kipper had Dre's heart he might have been averaging double digits and gained some accolades...Suffice to say , we need serious help in ALL aspects of the team from coaching on down....

I'm tired of waiting till next year to see the same crap.....play pack line D and get some players who want to attack the rim and won't back down....

JMHO

DW is a sophomore....not a Sr taking up minutes. He is a valuable player and knows system..I refuse to allow you to throw him under the bus...he is not the reason for our lack of successs....there are alot of reasons but DW is not dragging this team down.

DW is a sophomore....not a Sr taking up minutes. He is a valuable player and knows system..I refuse to allow you to throw him under the bus...he is not the reason for our lack of successs....there are alot of reasons but DW is not dragging this team down.

some folk just don't understand basketball. DW does.

They did, except playing in front of a stadium that is about half full.

They aren't a basketball school so it's expected, however we are a basketball school and they've beat us 6 times in a row. That's probably more of an insult to us than them, they beat us in a sport they don't care about. Sad times.

Ken

chitown

How is he throwing him under the bus ? DW has been a huge disappointment so far and I say this as someone who believes hes has tremendous amount of talent and if he shows the same margin of improvement next year as as this year you simply cannot have him playing major minutes. Now the way I see it you can give him his freshmen season because of his return from injury and you can say this was his real "freshmen year " but hes scored double figures 3 times this year in over 20 mpg ....

There are not a lot of successful teams with guys playing more than 20 mpg on the perimeter and giving you less than 4 pts per game . I think someone suggesting that maybe AG or Jones should've gotten more of those minutes is not a negative as this stage of this teams development as it has a problem with consistent production and you need someone to bust out . I would like to see BU push him its nice hes a a player with natural intangibles but you need him to be a threat offensively .

Deleted member 649710

D
I hope you are right but I don't see who in the big ten we will jump in front of.
Freshman become Sophomores.
Sophomores become upperclassmen.
If the current recruits make it to campus, and the core players remain, this team should be MUCH better.

Deleted member 9739

D
As both a fan and former coach, I am always trying to analyze a team to figure out what is working and what is not. In watching the rotations these last few games, I got curious about a certain stat so I had to run some numbers. Here are our team leaders this season in points per minutes played:

Georgi .465
Trent .459
Ayo .452
Andres .380
Tevian .372
Alan .368
Samba .329
Kipper .325
Aaron .302
Adonis .291
Damonte .167
Drew .133
Samson .087
Tyler .050
Zach .000

The last time I checked, in order to win a game you have to outscore the other team. At any given position, unless two players are significantly different in stopping the players on the other team from scoring, the one who is the most offensively productive should be playing. I know I'm not at practice every day, but from what I see on gameday I don't believe any of our players are exceptionally talented defenders.

Think about that and the minutes we've seen players getting during this end-of-the-season skid.:unsure:

What a [fart noise] way to finish the season. No momentum or identity on offense. Illinois’ second halves this season have been all bad. Not sure why they consistently get outplayed (or out-schemed) after halftime.

Because the offense is so inefficient, more than their opponents. Quite easy to predict the outcome with such offense and defense. Won't be much better, if at all next year, even with Kofi. Only way is if BU plays both Giorgi and Kofi, with Samba rotating in, and one of the bigs staying home on defense, not out in no man's land.

For whatever the reason Kipper has been a disappointment.
And I hate it. He's a really good kid that I'm afraid they are going to tell him that his playing time is almost certainly over. expect a transfer. But I believe, and I do believe, that Underwood is the type of Coach that will help. I think if he stays, he will get limited mins, unless his time on the court this season is just limited by having to play out of position.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kane transfer he can’t get off of the bench. I could never understand why he didn’t get some time against Harms when we had no answer for him. At least his height may have caused him some problems

Your post is sadly correct. Very sad if Samba does transfer, as he should have been gaining experience. Installing Kipper, 6' 7" to cover 7' 3" is ridiculous. I have a feeling that more than one will be transfering, as BU is simply a mid major quality coach with too much pride to change his style. I hates to say that.

Why is Kipper gone? Has that been speculated on already? Where would he go? To a mid-major?

Frankly, I think Kipper is demoralized by the coach. His career can be made or broken by a coach, and I see Kipper as losing out on what could have been a really nice year, and European team play, or better.

Does anyone have an opinion on BU having the team in the gym practicing at 6:50 am ET before a noon game? That is 5:50 am CT and with daylight savings it’s actually 4:50 am.

I’m starting to think this team is just worn out. Especially Trent. He seems to not be able to create any space to get a good look. Something he’s usually very good at.

As both a fan and former coach, I am always trying to analyze a team to figure out what is working and what is not. In watching the rotations these last few games, I got curious about a certain stat so I had to run some numbers. Here are our team leaders this season in points per minutes played:

Georgi .465
Trent .459
Ayo .452
Andres .380
Tevian .372
Alan .368
Samba .329
Kipper .325
Aaron .302
Adonis .291
Damonte .167
Drew .133
Samson .087
Tyler .050
Zach .000

The last time I checked, in order to win a game you have to outscore the other team. At any given position, unless two players are significantly different in stopping the players on the other team from scoring, the one who is the most offensively productive should be playing. I know I'm not at practice every day, but from what I see on gameday I don't believe any of our players are exceptionally talented defenders.

Think about that and the minutes we've seen players getting during this end-of-the-season skid.:unsure:

Thank you for that information John. Did not surprise me or my referee/junky friend, but neitehr of us had the exact numbers to prove
our case when it came to offense. Thanks again for making the effort and time for these figures.

It appears to me that the coach is hoping the TOs will outnumber the layups and dunks. That is not a very effective defense imo.
Believe it or not, I am not convinced that the offense will improve next year. It should, but I have questions.

keep on truckin
joe

Speak about layups and dunks, Archie Miller in his post game interview said he never can remember any of his teams ever getting 52 points in the paint as IU did on Thursday. Crazy number!!

I have a few questions:
Didn't BU say a lot about his offenses scoring in 7 seconds when he took the job? Why did you think we've seen little evidence of that thus far?
Why do you think BU had to wait until he was 50 to get his first HC gig?
All of BU's power 5 experience as an assistant came at K-State which was mostly under Martin. Other than the Final Four run a couple of years ago, have Martin's or Huggins' teams (which I believe BU mimics at some level) won a conference title or a FF run? I ask because both those men have been running their systems for years. It seems their respective conferences have adapted to their style...would you agree?
I read that Penn State played the 2nd toughest schedule in D1 this year. If true, why did they close so strong after starting so poorly?

Georgi .465
Trent .459
Ayo .452
Andres .380
Tevian .372
Alan .368
Samba .329
Kipper .325
Aaron .302
Adonis .291
Damonte .167
Drew .133
Samson .087
Tyler .050
Zach .000

interesting stuff.....but offense is not main reason we are on a skid, IMO....we have sucked on D.

D efficiency stats would be useful analysis.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
If he can't score, then it is a 4 offense on 5 defense. Sounds like when Chester Frazier tenure, opponents would just sag off of Chester. Poor way to play imo.

keep on truckin
joe

I gave my humble opinion on DW, not throwing him under the bus...He did that himself by his play...And yes, i do have a mediocre knowledge of BB having played all 4 years in HS and being a lifelong Illini fan for over 60 years...

My opinion is my own and the comparison of DW to CF is fair...Replay some of the games and you will see DW running away from the ball instead of getting it and attacking the rim...seldom did DW do anything on O other than run that weave debacle....averaging 3 pts per game is not productive when you are giving up triple that on D and TO's...

I realize that DW might have a hurdle to overcome HRF's legacy but he ,IMHO , didn't warrant the mins he got...

I agree DW should learn to be more aggressive on offense...he is timid, which can be fixed...also agree that all our young players should be getting more game time experience. You could make similar argument for AJs time...he had similar relatively low shooting percentage as DW and we could have given some of his time to freshmen.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I agree DW should learn to be more aggressive on offense...he is timid, which can be fixed...also agree that all our young players should be getting more game time experience. You could make similar argument for AJs time...he had similar relatively low shooting percentage as DW and we could have given some of his time to freshmen.

I have made that argument before...AJ has shown loyalty to the program and I respect that but having AJ and DW in the starting lineup stifles our O and as everyone saw this year leaves a lot to be desired on D....I applaud any Illini that plays their heart out and gives all they got, but talent like AG and TJ needs to be on the floor more than underperforming players...At least AJ could hit some 3's, but DW was a liability on O and was becoming a TO machine....

Looking forward , the program would have been better off with AG and TJ starting most of the season...

I'm still struggling with this season being the FIRST 20 loss season in HISTORY.....If BU continues to play older players with less talent than freshmen then it won't be our last 20 loss season....

Frankly, I think Kipper is demoralized by the coach. His career can be made or broken by a coach, and I see Kipper as losing out on what could have been a really nice year, and European team play, or better.
He looks like he lost all his confidence. Seems to have the physical attributes and yet has regressed under BU. Was touted to be able to guard one thru four his frosh season but hasn't seemed to be able to adapt to BU's system. Thought he would be equivalent to Black on defense and Center would be our major problem. Instead this is the position that is killing us. Giorgi must play the four next year with Kofi at the five if we are to be successful. I was happy to see Giorgi and Adonis playing together for that reason.

Defense Defense Defense.... it never looked good in any games.
The idea was to create turnovers, but when teams weren’t bothered by pressure; or the guards were too good to turn over the ball then they get wide open threes and uncontested layups. I think thet exerted too much energy trying to create turnovers and not enough just playing solid defense and forcing teams to take difficult shots. A new defensive scheme needs to be implemented soon.

I’m confident the offense will actually improve though.
To me, our defense looked much less intense today.
I figured it was by design, to save energy and--thinking that--I was good with it. But I'm no scholar.

I hear lots of shouts for Griffin and Jones to get more playing time or be inserted into the starting lineup. Let's remember that if players are not doing what they need to do from a work ethic standpoint as well as abiding by team and University rules, overlooking that and playing them anyway can not just kill your locker room, it can lead to a loss of all credibility as a coach. I think the coaching staff might know these players a little bit better than we do and they have very good reasons for allocating minutes the way they have been doing.