Penn State 83, Illinois 70 POSTGAME

There are no positives to this game. Just another round of the inconsistent Illini. This is just simply unacceptable. This team has it in them to play defense but they cannot motivate themselves to do it for the entire game or if they do it for 1 game, they cannot take it to the next game. The home losses are beginning to pile up now. If there's one thing Whitman won't tolerate, it is home losses.

Te'Jon 11 and 7 in 33 minutes is a positive.

This is what an apathetic fanbase would say. They would take a positive out of a disaster. Granted, Te'Jon did very well but the team did not. This is a team game, not an individual game. No excuses allowed.

Nobody is making excuses, you can still have bright spots (even if they are small) in losses. Personally, I'm not expecting us to win a whole lot in this death march towards the end (that started in mid-January) so I've only even been tuning in to see which guys are going to be nice pieces for the new guy, and Te'Jon is certainly proving he is a nice piece going forwards.

illini80

Forgottonia
Well we lost and I thought we had a chance to win, so that's frustrating. Usually I don't even feel like we have a chance. We have talked about playing hard, but today I thought we played with more heart in the last 12 minutes than I have seen all season and I honestly thought we were going to win this one. Thought we had PSU rattled, but they made shots and made free throws down the stretch.

We are what we are. I wonder what our % of loose balls recoveries is in the B10. Have to be close to the bottom. How often do we dive on the floor for them? That's 100% effort and 100% on Groce.

I'll be so glad when this season is over. I see 2 freshman to build a team around, a couple of role player who could be decent contributors in a better system, and a coaching staff that will do nothing with any of them.

The sooner we start over, the sooner we can at least have hope again.

Quick Points

1. Groce inability to recruit a PG prior to TJL is well known. But how about his inability to land that 6-10+ rim protector/quick leaper. Mav had a hard time getting around their big and he limited our drives.

2. Black is looking more like a small PF or just another wing. He just hasn't physically developed to mix it up with the true bigs. If he can develop into a Roger Powell type PF we might be OK, but he isn't a true big (see above).

3. Don't blame Hill, just like Deon decades before him. Hill didn't have the PG and Big to help him out. Hill has been great for the program hope he comes back one day to be involved with the team or university

4. One of the last Groce hold-outs but he is outclassed by pretty much every BIG coach. Saw some nice things today, but these nice things need to be par for the course and not just glimpses.

5. If there is a stat on heart and motor, TJL and Kipper would be near the top. Need to keep these two with the program and developing.

6. Defensive intensity was not the same as it was for NU.

7. A culture of not being bench for mistakes is ingrained on this team. Have seen it from pre-season of season 1 (bad shots were allowed constantly). The new coach will end this, the PSU coach went livid on they fouled late in though the game was in hand. Losing at every level will have to be removed for the program to go forward.

Quick Points

1. Groce inability to recruit a PG prior to TJL is well known. But how about his inability to land that 6-10+ rim protector/quick leaper. Mav had a hard time getting around their big and he limited our drives.

2. Black is looking more like a small PF or just another wing. He just hasn't physically developed to mix it up with the true bigs. If he can develop into a Roger Powell type PF we might be OK, but he isn't a true big (see above).

3. Don't blame Hill, just like Deon decades before him. Hill didn't have the PG and Big to help him out. Hill has been great for the program hope he comes back one day to be involved with the team or university

4. One of the last Groce hold-outs but he is outclassed by pretty much every BIG coach. Saw some nice things today, but these nice things need to be par for the course and not just glimpses.

5. If there is a stat on heart and motor, TJL and Kipper would be near the top. Need to keep these two with the program and developing.

6. Defensive intensity was not the same as it was for NU.

7. A culture of not being bench for mistakes is ingrained on this team. Have seen it from pre-season of season 1 (bad shots were allowed constantly). The new coach will end this, the PSU coach went livid on they fouled late in though the game was in hand. Losing at every level will have to be removed for the program to go forward.

On point 7 there is a lot of inconsistency in that. Some guys are forced to play tight worried that even a minor mistake will result in spending the rest of the game on the bench. Other guys know that regardless of their play, they will not be sat. It's really terrible game management.

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]DMShS9tIV0M[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]mOh1XcXzDWs[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]a4zQaMGhOYY[/YOUTUBE]

Figured out our problem. Sherlock Holmes said if you eliminate the impossible then what you have left is the answer

The answer is that somebody during the second half of the Arizona game in 2005 made a deal with the devil for the soul of Illinois basketball-- so we could play in the title game. Fess up. Who did it?

Sheesh. Glad I went into the office and had an excuse to miss this turkey.

I realize Penn State has a history of playing us tough in State College, but we should be able to beat them at home.

If were the AD I'd be seriously thinking about letting go of Groce now.

illini80

Forgottonia
This thread speaks volumes about the state of Illinois Basketball. Lose to Penn State and there are 38 comments. A few years ago we would be well on the way to a thousand.

rdillini

northbrook, il
I will go out on a limb and say we are playing young. Looking at box score 30 percent of our points came from our seniors. The rest were from sophomores or freshman. Say what you will about losing and there has been plenty said but we are now losing young. The experience our underclassmen are getting is invaluable. I also think the young guys are getting better. That is the positive I am taking out of this season. In a nutshell the lack of productivity from seniors or the nonexistent junior class is where this team has been hurt all year Malcolm has tried but he is now squeezing it. Also quite honestly we have no one on the team who can truly create shots off the dribble. Watching college buckets this year, unkess you are an exceptional ball movement team like Wisconsin you have to create off the bounce to score it is true our coach has been in charge of recruiting but I pose one question how muck better would these last few years would have been if we had Quentin snider on team? One recruit could have made a big difference. I think we have more creativity coming next year.

TruIllini89

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Live Women
Usa
On point 7 there is a lot of inconsistency in that. Some guys are forced to play tight worried that even a minor mistake will result in spending the rest of the game on the bench. Other guys know that regardless of their play, they will not be sat. It's really terrible game management.

+1 Some guys play as if they can do no wrong and others know one wrong move and it's back on the bench. :confused:

Watched the game and came away as a distraught die hard Illinois Fan who now embraces not seeing a NCAA tourney for 4 years in a row.

Oh how far we have fallen and the trajectory continues down. This is mind boggling.

We have just as much talent as Penn State maybe more and did not play up to that potential- Team looks very disjointed with no continuity or consistency in any area of play for 40 minutes.

I love these kids really feel bad for a stud like Malcolm Hill that will spend 4 years playing and not sniff a tourney birth while doing everything as a pure role model.

Check out the comments by Dean Thomas in today's Tribune, doesn't sound like he's a fan of the present staff

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
This thread speaks volumes about the state of Illinois Basketball. Lose to Penn State and there are 38 comments. A few years ago we would be well on the way to a thousand.

That's my thought too. It seems so fruitless to discuss anything, like a John Groce press conference.

JSpence

Evansville, IN
Well... it feels like this is a new threshold.

It's hours after a double-digit loss to PSU at home, and the postgame thread is still working on its second page.

The silence is damning. Go Illini.

P.S. - It looks like this has been noted already, and this will be post #51 (page 3). This is still the best content I can muster right now. Sorry. Go Illini.

I just got to watch the game because of work, really hard to believe how bad the first 30 minutes were. I was yelling at the tv, we got no loose balls, barely guarded anyone and were just terrible in a must win situation. Now it's all over and we just finish out the season. I feel great about Lucas and Nichols and not much else, hope Whitman gets us a great coach. I don't care how much it cost bring in the best coach that will come here.