Penn State 83, Illinois 70 POSTGAME

Dan

Admin

illini80

Forgottonia
Sean Harrington has said much the same thing. This says it perfectly:

“There’s a disconnect somewhere,” Thomas said. “When I watch us play, it seems like we’re reacting instead of imposing who we are on [opponents].”

That tells me no matter how hard they are trying, they don't really know what the system is or how to play it.

Here's Shannon Ryan's story-

He was certainly blunt with his words, and it's hard to disagree with any of his points. And those points didn't even touch on the flaws offensively, which points to how bothered he really is by our defense (despite our offense being statistically worse). It's good to see him still passionate about the program.

Didn't watch. Went out with some friends for lunch. Had intentions of coming home to watch, went pub crawling instead. Didn't really care. Saw the score... wasn't surprised. That's really all that needs to be said.

The decision has already been made, just hope Josh can get us where we need to be. Hire Cuonzo, keep walker on staff, hit the ground running. That's all I ask

Check out the comments by Dean Thomas in today's Tribune, doesn't sound like he's a fan of the present staff

He didn't sound like a big fan of them in the postgame today, either. Obviously, he didn't go in on them too hard - it is the Illini broadcast - but was making comparisons to Lou's teams and how this kind of a game was just completely unacceptable. Not much doubt from what he said.

Cheez

Sun Prairie WI
To the comments related to the lack of comments here - what can we say that hasn't already been said in previous comments.

We're all upset.

We all know that this type of performance is not acceptable, and we've all seen this far too many times over the past couple of seasons.

Most of us want/know that Groce is gone at the end of the year, and those who want him back are keeping their ridiculous comments in the carousel thread.

There's just not much more to say right now. If you are looking for one more piece of damning information on Groce, though - Piper stated that after the loss Groce is under .500 at SFC in B1G play over his career. It wasn't long ago when Assembly Hall was one of the toughest places in the country to watch a game - and Groce has lost there 22 times in conference play. That's asinine.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Surely today's game put the final nail in the coffin for Illinois' tourney hopes and for Groce's tenure. Just so sad to see how bad the program is at this point. PSU clearly has more athletic talent than the Illini, and they are going to become a good team with those freshman. PSU and NW are now better programs than Illinois. I would say we are pretty similar to Nebraska and a little bit ahead of Rutgers at this point and that's about it. Also there is no home court advantage at SFC. Big Ten teams come in and routinely kick tail at this point.

Watching the game on dvr, no idea why, and just have to comment at the shear absolute stupidity at the end of the first half....in what should have been the last Hill gets the ball from TJL in the backcourt and it's obvious he's just going to iso as Lucas just runs to the corner....end result was a travel on Hill.

PSU ends up traveling and we get the ball with .3 left....and Abrams takes a catch and shoot jumper when everyone knows that a tip is the only thing you can do there with that time...now, we have no athletes who can out jump anyone, but just throw the inbounds pass toward the rim, maybe one of the athletes on PSU will knock it in on accident....

Nonetheless, I'm about to watch the second half cause I want to see the fake rally.

People don't comment because they have become apathetic. I come here but comment only occasionally any more. We were clearly outclassed in talent and execution by PSU. We don't have the dogs, nor the handler to compete. Time to turn the page and rebuild once again.

Figured out our problem. Sherlock Holmes said if you eliminate the impossible then what you have left is the answer

The answer is that somebody during the second half of the Arizona game in 2005 made a deal with the devil for the soul of Illinois basketball-- so we could play in the title game. Fess up. Who did it?

'Twas I. I was a young lad, and that game was on my 13th birthday. It was worth it though? ................eh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IlliniTarHeel

Topsail, NC
during the second half the camera was on Groce on the sidelines a couple of times with a look on his face of confusion. It was probably just the timing of the camera shot but the look of being lost seemed real to me with the job he is doing.

during the second half the camera was on Groce on the sidelines a couple of times with a look on his face of confusion. It was probably just the timing of the camera shot but the look of being lost seemed real to me with the job he is doing.
He's totally overmatched and confused...that look wouldn't surprise me. We're 6 games away from the end of the season and he still doesn't have a set rotation or know who to play, his systems do not work and he has no other plan/idea for how to improve defense/offense, and he can't figure out why our guys get outplayed.

He is clueless. It is what it is. I like the guy, but he has no idea what to do.

He's totally overmatched and confused...that look wouldn't surprise me. We're 6 games away from the end of the season and he still doesn't have a set rotation or know who to play, his systems do not work and he has no other plan/idea for how to improve defense/offense, and he can't figure out why our guys get outplayed.

He is clueless. It is what it is. I like the guy, but he has no idea what to do.

I don't think he's clueless. It's not that he doesn't know what to do. It's that what he is trying to do isn't working. I think his biggest problem is the players he has recruited don't really match his system. It has also been mentioned on here before that his system (at least offensively) is really complicated. Maybe one of the reasons no freshman has ever come in and impressed right away under Groce.

KRSAS

Charleston, IL
I don't think he's clueless. It's not that he doesn't know what to do. It's that what he is trying to do isn't working. I think his biggest problem is the players he has recruited don't really match his system. It has also been mentioned on here before that his system (at least offensively) is really complicated. Maybe one of the reasons no freshman has ever come in and impressed right away under Groce.

I'm really curious to find what exactly his system is? Is it taking contested 20ft jumpers with the shot clock winding down, not playing defense or turning the ball over? I remember this interview when he first got hired and he was asked about restoring a winning tradition at Illinois or something along those lines and he responded by saying, "We Can." To me that was a disappointment. All the hype of that interview, I was hoping to hear, "We will Win" or "We going to build something special here at Illinois.' Instead of just, "We can" If anyone can find that skit, that would be awesome, I think it was also a recording played at a football game or BTN. From really that point, I think he just didn't have the confidence or swagger in coaching the team. I'm not looking for any arrogance just a system and mentality to establish a program around.

Deleted member 16340

D
I DVR the games and watch when the wife is gone, but lately I've found that I can tell whether or not we won by the number of pages added to the Coaching Carousel thread, the more pages,we lost. This time there were few, so I thought we had won. It's pretty bad when the faithful are so disenfranchised that they no long engage in speculation. Mr Groce you were a great representative of my school everywhere except the games. Thanks for your service and good luck to you in your future endeavours. From quite frankly the last holdout of hopeful support.

When Groce took over I remember him saying assist to turnover ratio would be a point of emphasis, when is the last time anyone remembers that being brought up??

blmillini

Bloomington, IL

How complicated can it be to have your point guard dribble around at the top of the key until he finally decides to drive and then shoot or dish to someone at the three point line to take a shot?

How complicated can it be to have your point guard dribble around at the top of the key until he finally decides to drive and then shoot or dish to someone at the three point line to take a shot?

The product we are seeing is not the system obviously. It's the result of players not understanding the system and/or players' skillset not matching what they are asked to do. What we are seeing is poor execution.

But a big part of Groce's system is winning individual battles and creating your own shot. We have 1 player who can do that consistently, Malcolm Hill. That is a big problem.

Wish you hadn't brought that up. Our pg walking up the court hanging around the top of the circle 30 seconds shot and no where to go. How many times have we seen that.