Penn State 83, Illinois 76 POSTGAME

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
Very frustrating. But if we go there and beat them, I will feel like the team learned something.

Those calls make absolutely no sense together. I don’t see how it can be a foul on Feliz and be a flagrant on the PSU player. Has to be one or the other. Counting the basket that didn’t go in made the whole thing more ridiculous.

I didn't understand why it was a shooting foul. Feliz fouled him reaching in on the rebound, not on the shot.

Girogi, Ayo and Trent were 14 for 43. Not going to beat many teams that way.

This half court offense really struggled to produce decent looks. We shoot a ton of highly contested shots off the dribble. Our extremely low assist numbers show how little passing there is and how much dribbling and one on one we force.

Our best offense is clearly transition, which is probably why we stick with the ball pressure even when it’s getting carved up. The chance of forcing turnovers creates our best offense.

Saw that on TV and commented to my wife. They were just standing there watching, nothing coming out of their mouths, no clapping, no nothing.

The 11AM games are brutal for us, and there wasn’t a lot to get hyped about. They led and methodically pushed us around basically the entire game. BU got a tech to wake us up though, and we were ready to explode. There was just never a real run down the stretch.

Feliz takes a lot of bad shots too

I will defend Feliz's play. He was the best illini on the court today. He had the presence to know their big man had four fouls and he tried to foul him out. It worked against ohio state. He didn't get the call. A couple of his misses were pretty darn close to being fouls. What would that make him? seven for nine? He has a knack for knowing when we need a basket and he goes and gets it..

Interesting choices. Alan Griffin wasn’t highly recruited, and a late bloomer. Tev Jones has been more disappointing IMO.

And Giorgi is by far the most surprising. No debate there.

Giorgi has been killing it since he arrived. Tev hasn't had much playing time. Why Alan is getting so much playing time is a mystery, he hasn't had any production to warrant it.

Coach Chambers had a perfect offensive game plan to beat us. Spread us out and drive to the basket. I'm generally shocked that more teams do not make that a higher priority. When teams get in trouble with us its when they try and make multiple passes within their half court offense and eventually turn it over because of our pressure. When teams make it a priority to consistently drive the ball to the basket three things happen. 1. They get real high percentage shots 2. They get us into foul trouble and 3 it helps set up their defense. We have been at our best all year when we score in transition off of turnovers and long rebounds. If they are consistently scoring and shooting free throws that greatly reduces the easy baskets we create in transition.

I also think there may be a correlation between the lack of bench playing time and our recent struggles shooting the ball. It seems to me in our best wins of the year against Maryland and Michigan St, Underwood was making it a priority to getting everyone involved early. We were cycling in 3 or 4 players every few possessions. In doing so we seen some players have some breakout moments. In the last three games he's gone back to not utilizing the entire bench. The style that BU wants to play is very hard physically and mentally to sustain at high levels for extended period of times. I'm hoping that Jones, Kipper and Kane can get a FEW more minutes

Once again, the formula is so simple for this team.....aggresive D, and make 70%+ FT's.....win.

We let them get to the basket at will, we took questionable shots in the first half (Trent), and couldn't make FT's. Lame.
We can't keep shooting 37% or so from the field either.

Every 50/50 ball they got. That's not by accident. It was all hustle from Penn State. Add in poor free throw shooting. Those things Illini have gotten beaten all year on. Trust me I'm not saying the Illini haven't gotten better they have. But same frustrations today that pp have complained about all year. Go Illini end this streak and start a new one.
Agree with the fts, but the 50/50 we have consistently won, it's DNA. it's our Credo.

Deleted member 29907

D
I didn't understand why it was a shooting foul. Feliz fouled him reaching in on the rebound, not on the shot.
It wasn't even a foul - Feliz reached out with his hand to brace against the player turning into him - it didn't appear he was even swiping at the ball - but if the ref did think he was somehow - it was well before the player made a motion to shoot.

Reardless of how many points we scored, remember that Penn State scored 83 against us. Rutgers scored over 90. They did it the same way, driving on the basket. Underwood had better find a way to stop that.

And now I go off to church. In Pennsylvania. To eat crow.

We are a big short of being good. Teams that have two bigs have Giorgi out numbered. Thought Kipper would replace Black on defense but has disappeared. Hope we have the answer next year.

Giorgi has been killing it since he arrived. Tev hasn't had much playing time. Why Alan is getting so much playing time is a mystery, he hasn't had any production to warrant it.

Not sure Griffin is ready either for this PT, I will say we will need him next year, as I really think he becomes long term our next AJ. This bodes well for him (niche) and for us (brother) hopefully. I will also point out that although I think Jones is far superior an athlete, he tends to stand or look a lot more mechanical on both ends of the floor than Griffin currently? That is hard to say, because Griffin has to have the weirdest body language on the court that I think I have ever seen. He always looks like he is hunched over or leaning forward or something?

I am sure Griffin is playing better in practice to warrant playing time.

Dre was in the arc when the "foul" happened. I think Jordan fouled the guy as well. Likely before he was in the shooting motion. It was at a pivotal point in the game, however the net result would only differ by them getting a 1 and 1 and us getting 2 shots. Bardo kept saying that PSU was going to get the ball, not sure what confused him, but the whole sequence was confusing.

The above was not the problem. We got our butts kicked and weren't hitting from the outside to compensate. Dre was great, the rest of the team mediocre at best. Was thinking of possibly driving ~6 hours to PSU to see that game, but the spurt of enthusiasm is waning again.

Go ILLINI.

Coach Chambers had a perfect offensive game plan to beat us. Spread us out and drive to the basket. I'm generally shocked that more teams do not make that a higher priority. When teams get in trouble with us its when they try and make multiple passes within their half court offense and eventually turn it over because of our pressure. When teams make it a priority to consistently drive the ball to the basket three things happen. 1. They get real high percentage shots 2. They get us into foul trouble and 3 it helps set up their defense. We have been at our best all year when we score in transition off of turnovers and long rebounds. If they are consistently scoring and shooting free throws that greatly reduces the easy baskets we create in transition.

The reason, I think, others do not follow the Chambers game plan is that our team does sleep walk, like they did in this game.

We did beat Maryland and MSU with the exact defense. And played very well at WI, IIRC.

Let us see what happens when we visit PSU in two weeks. I expect a far superior product.

Having said that, there is really no reason to play the way we did. This and the remaining games are crucial. How that escaped both coaches and the players is beyond me. But then I have my share of goof ups too.

I am sure Griffin is playing better in practice to warrant playing time.

Dre was in the arc when the "foul" happened. I think Jordan fouled the guy as well. Likely before he was in the shooting motion. It was at a pivotal point in the game, however the net result would only differ by them getting a 1 and 1 and us getting 2 shots. Bardo kept saying that PSU was going to get the ball, not sure what confused him, but the whole sequence was confusing.

The above was not the problem. We got our butts kicked and weren't hitting from the outside to compensate. Dre was great, the rest of the team mediocre at best. Was thinking of possibly driving ~6 hours to PSU to see that game, but the spurt of enthusiasm is waning again.

Go ILLINI.
I agree that the above is not the reason we lost, but it was one of several factors, when combined, cost us the game. But with that said, the call was so bad it's really inexcusable at the college basketball level.

Yes, maybe Jordan fouled the guy, and yes maybe Feliz did as well, but both fouls happened well before the dude shot the ball. The game was at the 9:42 mark and the Illini only had four fouls, so the foul should of not been a shooting foul. The penalty for a flagrant 1 or unsportsmanlike foul is two free throws and a throw-in for the opposing team at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul.

Penn State won because they were stronger physically at every position. When the refs let the game become ragged the Illini are undermanned.

We are a big short of being good. Teams that have two bigs have Giorgi out numbered. Thought Kipper would replace Black on defense but has disappeared. Hope we have the answer next year.
Think Kipper would have had a chance to match up better with Stevens from a physical standpoint... don't know how effective it would have been.