PhD programs at UI info wanted

I am interested in getting some feedback from anyone familiar with the process. And I assume its much the same regardless of the University.

If you submit an application, and hear back from them quickly, is that a good sign, or meaningless? If you get an invite to visit campus on their dime to meet faculty and other applicants, is that a significant sign? Any major no-no's to be aware of? Any major pluses that could work in your favor during the process?

This is not for me personally, but it is personal in nature. I would appreciate any insight, thanks.

To close this out, my daughter was offered and accepted and will be moving to CU in August for the fall semester!!!

I am one proud poppa!!!!

To close this out, my daughter was offered and accepted and will be moving to CU in August for the fall semester!!!

I am one proud poppa!!!!
Congratulations to you and your daughter!

So, what are the answers to your original questions, now that you have some experience with it? I'm curious about the process.

Congratulations to you and your daughter!

So, what are the answers to your original questions, now that you have some experience with it? I'm curious about the process.
Thank you @ktal , we are all very excited.

Let me preface my answer by saying I am not a college grad and have zero knowledge of the process outside of this specific instance which may be a unique circumstance. This is a joint program shared between UOregon, PurdueU, and UIllinois.

https://education.illinois.edu/sped/funding-opportunities/co-lead

Now to answer my own questions... ;-)

After several email exchanges with the head of the department to ensure the program was what she was looking for she sent in her application, Dec 10th. A few more email exchanges and 1 Skype (or whatever) session before the Holiday break. About a week into January an invitation to visit campus for 3 days the weekend of Jan 23rd was extended.

First evening was an informal dinner at a brew pub with all the professors. 2nd day was an all-day rotating interview session(s) with all the professors and dinner at another brewpub with only the 17 prospective students and currently enrolled grad students. 3rd day was a campus/CU tour.
On Jan 29th she received her notice of acceptance/admission!

It was super quick and a very pleasant process for her. She loved the campus and her Prof's.

Short answer, yes quick response and gratis travel expenses were a very good sign! Honestly though, one of the professors asked her to thank me for being such a staunch supporter of all things UI, so I feel like that had to be what put her over the top!!! hahahaha Well anyways, it couldn't have hurt her mentioning it.....

I might add that after going through this and talking with my daughter that we feel the invitation to campus was more likely a way for them to confirm they made the correct choices on whom to extend offers.

My daughter has a Mentor that is very highly regarded in her field so could not have gotten a better letter of recommendation. And also has extensive international work experience, volunteers with a global entity, and has a sibling with Autism. So the resume/application/experience was about as good as it gets.

I feel like this being a grant funded doctorate program in a relatively new/niche field of study would probably make her experience an atypical one from most other Doctorate programs.

I might also add that there are several options in that particular grant program that cater to people in the field of education/teaching/counseling/etc... How can you go wrong with a fully funded Doctorate degree from the UI????

https://blogs.illinois.edu/view/1526/804411

I might also add that there are several options in that particular grant program that cater to people in the field of education/teaching/counseling/etc... How can you go wrong with a fully funded Doctorate degree from the UI????

https://blogs.illinois.edu/view/1526/804411
That degree will 'pay for itself' very, very quickly, and with opportunities which better meet your daughter's specific interests.

I'm a College of Education graduate myself, so now I'm even more enthused for your daughter and your family. Your daughter really sounds like the dream candidate, and I agree that the visit was more for confirmation than screening.

I'm sure she'll enjoy her cohort, and that will help her thrive in the program. Congratulations again!