• Finish the season

Votes: 116 50.2%
  • Other response

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t really remember if I liked the Lovie hire initially, but I know I didn’t hate it. Unfortunately it hasn’t worked out. I don’t believe they should fire him during the season unless it becomes apparent team has quit on him and he has lost the locker room. He has been without 14-16 players last two games including at least a few starters. Given how his tenure has gone so far, I don’t think that buys him more time after this year. But that, his character, and the respect he has in the coaching community I believe means he should be allowed to finish out the season. That said if he and JW can mutually come to an agreement for him to step down during the season, I wouldn’t upset.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
I thought Lovie could be successful here if he were willing to adapt to the college game. But the coaching staff he assembled made a difficult task nearly impossible. In the end, it was simply too much to overcome.

The people on here more worried about Lovie's feelings than the Illinois football program is driving me bonkers. Please, start a Lovie Loyalty board.
Precisely. Whether or not Lovie is a nice guy is irrelevant. He was paid a substantial sum of money to build something; he screwed it up; he has been given ample time to correct his errors; and he is still screwing it up.
As he once said regarding a departing player: "Sometimes divorce is good".

altenberger22

South Carolina
When do we next expect to hear from Whitman on the coaching situation?

We seem to be approaching that time in the season where an AD sometimes issues a statement in support of the current coach. Perhaps his silence tells us otherwise?

If Whitman is afraid to fire Smith then 'promote' him to VP in charge of some obscure function and hire a new coach. Keiko Price just left the university, hide Lovie over there for the remainder of his contract. And, this time for the love of God, do an actual search for his replacement.

If Bonner is transferring out because he feels that sitting out this year is being held against him by the coaching staff, then I’m done. That is not the sign of a healthy program, and there’s no reason to keep this going with a toxic environment within the program.
This could be our golden ticket out of purgatory. The timing was great before with ousting Beckman.

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
Haha nothing to major he just has some similar traits to Guenther to be as short as possible without clogging the thread.
0440, are you expecting us to have a new head coach next year? Thanks for everything you bring to the board.

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
If we go 0-8 hard to not see a change especially if the money is there to cover the buy-out. If he squeaks in a couple wins he will stay.
Thanks for sharing. That is what I expected. 0 or 1 win will be impossible to ignore. Otherwise you can blame odd year and covid and try again.

Ausmusson said tonight no way JW fires Lovie this year. I find that hard to believe especially if they continue to look so bad the next 5 weeks. I think there will be a public outcry to move in a different direction.

Ausmusson said tonight no way JW fires Lovie this year. I find that hard to believe especially if they continue to look so bad the next 5 weeks. I think there will be a public outcry to move in a different direction.
Like I said earlier if he knows the funds are there and 0-8 happens. I think a change will happen.

illini80

Forgottonia
I wouldn’t put too much stock in what Ausmusson says. He’s wrong more often than he’s right when giving out opinions and there is no one who has inside information at this point because there is no way Josh has made the decision yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.