Pregame: #8 Illinois vs #9 Michigan, Thursday, March 12th, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloomington
Win to have a prayer! I know the guys can do it, but I worry about Michigan. Never an easy win.

Btw, Aubrey Dawkins had 31 today, 8-11 from 3.

I'm worried the team feels like I do - resigned to the NIT.
It's reality, unfortunately. If you'd have asked me in November what our odds were for a second tournament miss, I'd have told you no way. What scares me most is how the team never gelled, and our PG situation is just as worrisome after 3 years of Groce. I did not see much good bball this season.

It's reality, unfortunately. If you'd have asked me in November what our odds were for a second tournament miss, I'd have told you no way. What scares me most is how the team never gelled, and our PG situation is just as worrisome after 3 years of Groce. I did not see much good bball this season.
This season hasn't gone as most expected but to say you didn't see much good is a bit overboard to me.

The team never seemed to gel because it was a different team every 10 games or so.

It started with losing Abrams and Paul not getting in before the season. Then, just when most teams are starting to gel around the start of conference play, we lose our best player. Then Cosby goes down and he and Rice get suspended before Cosby is eventually gone. Then Rice comes back and is visibly rusty with 6-7 games plus tourney time left.

I'm not trying to make excuses but that's just reality.

Cosby not working out had to hurt the O some. Defensively we've been decent, but our lack of offensive production from the 1 and 5 spots has been burdensome. Those are the 2 most important positions on the floor offensively. We relied so heavily on MH, RR and KN creating shots for themselves iso style. Then KN goes into a late-season slump. We really haven't looked good offensively for more than a game or two here and there for a long time, probably since 08-09.

This season hasn't gone as most expected but to say you didn't see much good is a bit overboard to me.

The team never seemed to gel because it was a different team every 10 games or so.

It started with losing Abrams and Paul not getting in before the season. Then, just when most teams are starting to gel around the start of conference play, we lose our best player. Then Cosby goes down and he and Rice get suspended before Cosby is eventually gone. Then Rice comes back and is visibly rusty with 6-7 games plus tourney time left.

I'm not trying to make excuses but that's just reality.
Very true. If none of those things had happened I think we would've had a VERY different season.

There is no doubt that the changing line-ups affected this year. It still seems to me that this should be an NCAA team except for several bad losses. I'm disappointed that another year goes by without getting closer to the quality team I think we should be.

Very true. If none of those things had happened I think we would've had a VERY different season.
So tired of hearing the excuses for Groce in his third year. A good coach can overcome some injuries and poor luck. Groce's roll the ball out there and play pick and roll offense is terrible. Witness the shooting percentage the last three years. Do we have players that cannot shoot or coaches that cannot design plays for good looks or teach shooting mechanics?

The bloom is off the Groce rose, time to produce.

We will know very early in this game if the team has given up on the season. I for one am not giving up yet because crazier things have happened before.

So tired of hearing the excuses for Groce in his third year. A good coach can overcome some injuries and poor luck. Groce's roll the ball out there and play pick and roll offense is terrible. Witness the shooting percentage the last three years. Do we have players that cannot shoot or coaches that cannot design plays for good looks or teach shooting mechanics?

Actual events that occured that affect who you can play are not excuses. Either way, do you think Beilein is a good coach? You must not because he didn't do a very good job of overcoming injuries this year with Michigan.

I would say the fact that we even have a shot at the tourney after the injuries, suspensions, etc. is a bit of an accomplishment.

And yes I know we don't cheer for "almost NCAAs" at Illinois and that is not my point at all.

Golden, IL

What offense would you run to fix these problems? It's easy to say that the offense isn't working, but how do you fix it?

Cedar Falls, IA
What offense would you run to fix these problems? It's easy to say that the offense isn't working, but how do you fix it?
That's Groce's problem to figure out, not ours. It's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Decatur, IL
I wonder if our guys have the stamina to run that full court press all game. Full on vcu havoc style. I don't think it works against teams with elite guards but we could run it against any other team.

Golden, IL
That's Groce's problem to figure out, not ours. It's why he gets paid the big bucks.
What I'm getting at is that it doesn't matter what offense you run. With the current talent level of this team, they are going to struggle offensively. I've said this before, but there is no silver bullet. When you have an offensively inept center and a point guard that the defense doesn't have to respect and the backup point guard isn't really a point guard, you are going to be poor offensively.

Cedar Falls, IA
What I'm getting at is that it doesn't matter what offense you run. With the current talent level of this team, they are going to struggle offensively. I've said this before, but there is no silver bullet. When you have an offensively inept center and a point guard that the defense doesn't have to respect and the backup point guard isn't really a point guard, you are going to be poor offensively.
I agree.

Bloomington
Some people make a great point in that this offense isn't cutting it.

Other people make an even better point when they ask what more efficient offense you can run without a low-post scorer or a PG.

It's 100% obvious that the wings are far and away the strength of the team. With that in mind, what offense would the critics like to run now?

Logan Square, Chicago

Like who?

Groce's first year was a success, I think. I think most would agree.

Groce's second year was not good. The team was not good. The only 'excuse' being made for that year is that it was a rebuilding year in his second year.

This year was the only one that was supposed to be good, and wasn't very good. Name me 2 "good" coaches who could have done better, considering a signing-day decommit from a good PG, losing our starting senior PG to injury, and the rest of the injuries.

If you can name two coaches with reasonable (not airtight, just reasonable) evidence who could have done better with similar circumstances, I'll be surprised.

And this isn't even accounting for the fact that we have no junior class...thanks to the previous coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.