Admin
Illinois at EIU (Charity Exhibition)
Lantz Arena (Charleston, IL)
Friday, November 3rd
7:00pm CT
No TV / No Streaming

$10 tickets on sale 8:30am Monday, Oct. 30th-
Buy tix at: http://EIUPantherTickets.com

Earlier this month, the NCAA granted Division I college basketball programs a waiver to participate in a third exhibition game if proceeds go towards pre-determined disaster relief. The proceeds from Friday's doubleheader will go to the American Red Cross.
http://www.fightingillini.com/news/...linois-to-play-at-eastern-illinois-nov-3.aspx
http://www.eiupanthers.com/news/201...inois-indiana-state-for-hurricane-relief.aspx

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of this. Get the new guys having their first "road" experience.

Also a fan of the move, but wonder what, if anything, is says about BU's perception of our team's readiness for the season when we add an "away" game on such short notice.

On the other hand, the NCAA doesn't let teams add additional games often, so we may as well take advantage of it. And given the fact that we are trying to integrate a bunch of newcomers onto the roster, the more game experience the better.

Of course, this board will hit DEFCON 1 if we were to lose an exhibition game to an in-state "directional" school.

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
As an EIU alum, I always thought how amusing it would be in the unlikely scenario of Illinois coming down here to see Illini fans pack our high school gym. If people buy tickets, it will probably be the only sellout of the season EIU.

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY
Anyone that is going to the game or that went to school there know of a good place for a couple drinks before the game?

Deleted member 29907

D
I'm ready for some Illini Hoopz here in VA, somebody make this happen :pray:

I hear ya Bro/Sis! Closest opportunity right now is the WF game - but I'll be out of town (was thinking of bringing an "AYO SAYS HI-O" sign). Hoping we can get NC State or Tech at some point in the challenge. Hoping in 5 years - its UNC or Duke ;)

If you are looking for the college scene, the panther paw is always packed. If you are looking for a laid back place, you can go uptown to mothers. Marty's used to be the place to be, but I believe it closed.

Anyone that is going to the game or that went to school there know of a good place for a couple drinks before the game?

Roc's just off the square....been a while since I've been there...but use to have good food and drink

If you are looking for the college scene, the panther paw is always packed. If you are looking for a laid back place, you can go uptown to mothers. Marty's used to be the place to be, but I believe it closed.

Marty's is still opened. I was in Charleston for homecoming last weekend and it's still open.

For those going, Marty's is the closest to campus and you'll see it when you're driving up 4th street. Otherwise, Panther Paw is a great place to go to as well. Really great atmosphere.

As an EIU alum, I always thought how amusing it would be in the unlikely scenario of Illinois coming down here to see Illini fans pack our high school gym. If people buy tickets, it will probably be the only sellout of the season EIU.

Well technically they did a few years back but that was the Illini women's hoops team playing in Charleston if I'm not mistaken.

I hear ya Bro/Sis! Closest opportunity right now is the WF game - but I'll be out of town (was thinking of bringing an "AYO SAYS HI-O" sign). Hoping we can get NC State or Tech at some point in the challenge. Hoping in 5 years - its UNC or Duke ;)

:pray: for Illini @ VT or UVA In the BIG/ACC for years too. Tech is only a 30 min drive and I have a hookup at UVA.

Dumb question. Will this be a game we try to win or another training opportunity?:confused:

Also a fan of the move, but wonder what, if anything, is says about BU's perception of our team's readiness for the season when we add an "away" game on such short notice.

On the other hand, the NCAA doesn't let teams add additional games often, so we may as well take advantage of it. And given the fact that we are trying to integrate a bunch of newcomers onto the roster, the more game experience the better.

Of course, this board will hit DEFCON 1 if we were to lose an exhibition game to an in-state "directional" school.

Even if BU thought we could go 38-0, he would still schedule a game like this. Any coach would. More game experience is never a bad thing.

Even if BU thought we could go 38-0, he would still schedule a game like this. Any coach would. More game experience is never a bad thing.

Not really. If you are Kentucky or Duke with national title aspirations, you might be leery of an injury. These games don't count - there is little upside and an awful lot of downside for an experienced or highly ranked team to adding a third game in the preseason.

Not really. If you are Kentucky or Duke with national title aspirations, you might be leery of an injury. These games don't count - there is little upside and an awful lot of downside for an experienced or highly ranked team to adding a third game in the preseason.

I don't think that's true. If there is little upside then why play any exhibition games at all?

kcib8130

Parts Unknown
Any time the NCAA grants you the opportunity to play an extra exhibition game, in your backyard, you take it. Practicing against someone other than your teammates is the best way to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.