Pregame: Illinois at EIU (Exhibition), Friday, November 3rd, 7:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that's true. If there is little upside then why play any exhibition games at all?

Sort of like the NFL and NBA preseason - you need a few games to work the kinks out, but at a certain point you face diminishing marginal returns. Whether that's one, two, three or more I don't know, but I don't think that your blanket statement stands up - I'm sure that there are coaches that have passed and will continue to pass on adding additional exhibitions in those instances where the NCAA allows it.

For instance, this year the NCAA is allowing a third game if the proceeds are used for disaster relief: is every D-1 team in the country playing three exhbitions or scrimmages?

Well, this is an exhibition and not a scrimmage, so I assume we will play to win.

I would expect it to be treated like a game in most respects. That said, I also expect there to be experimentation.

Can't wait 'til I can watch them.

Alright who’s gonna periscope this from the stands for us out of state folk ;)

Add my name to those who'd throw in to watch streaming.

one would think it almost has to be on something ppv if not they really are missing out on a chance to make more money for a good cause

TEYPAY

Springfield
Marty's is still open -- Jerry's closed (and was torn down).

Not really. If you are Kentucky or Duke with national title aspirations, you might be leery of an injury. These games don't count - there is little upside and an awful lot of downside for an experienced or highly ranked team to adding a third game in the preseason.

Well, these kids are all learning a new system and style of play. Testing things out against opponents (not against each other in practice) is going to hopefully keep building confidence and also showing the weaknesses that need addressed. Yes there is the injury factor, but that is possible in practice too. Repetition and diversity in competition is good, and with such a young team they can probably use all the extra experience they can get. Constantly facing the same competition (teammates) can breed complacency and boredom.

Well, these kids are all learning a new system and style of play. Testing things out against opponents (not against each other in practice) is going to hopefully keep building confidence and also showing the weaknesses that need addressed. Yes there is the injury factor, but that is possible in practice too. Repetition and diversity in competition is good, and with such a young team they can probably use all the extra experience they can get. Constantly facing the same competition (teammates) can breed complacency and boredom.

No, I agree completely with the other posters that given our situation, we should play as many games as possible, my only (minor) disagreement with the original responding poster was the notion that such a decision would always be the case. I could see a situation where given the chance to play a 3rd exhibition or scrimmage a team might pass it up.

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
I graduated from EIU in Class of 2014. Here's my take on the eating joints in Charleston:

Pagliai's is the best pizza place in town. It's pronounced POLLY-WHYS. Say it wrong, and you'll get railed out of town.

Smokey's has good BBQ. Wish Pop's Carryout BBQ was still open as that ruled the town. But if you like BBQ, Smokey's is it.

Chubby's is still drunk food. I've had it when I was sober. Worst pizza ever. My drunken buddies raved about it.

Jimmy John's is Jimmy John's.

Three Subway's. One on the west end, one on campus and the other in the Wal-Mart on the east side. Subway is Subway.

McDonald's is McDonald's.

There is an A&W on the east side of Charleston on Highway 16 in front of the Wal-Mart. Got a free juke box in there (as far as I know it's there). Actually has some good food.

Ike's was serving food as far as I know. I've ate their food only once and it was good. Sometimes the best food you can find are in bars. Just look at The Eagle's Nest in Addieville and The Nisbet Inn - Home of the World's Coldest Beer.

I wouldn't recommend going to Panther Paw on a Friday night. Best night to go is on a Thursday as they have one dollar cheeseburgers. I ate four of those, two sides of fries and consumed my whole drink during one of my college days. That was a load, even the gals who were with us that night were impressed.

Arby's is right there on the corner across from campus, but I prefer Smokey's over Arby's.

If you like Chinese, there is a QQ Buffet on the east side, just next door to Wal-Mart. I ate there several times and liked it.

There is a Dairy Queen in the downtown part of Charleston, just over to the west. It's NOT on 16 so be aware of that. I also believe Roc's is still open.

I was just there for Homecoming on Saturday for a few hours. Didn't see all of Charleston though. Hope this helps. As the others have stated, Marty's, Panther Paw and Ike's are still open. Jerry's was torn down about a year/two years ago. I didn't care much for it. Didn't think their pizza was that good.

Last edited:

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
Wish this wasn't on a Friday night. Was hoping it would be on a Saturday instead. I'd go to this in a heartbeat if it was on a Saturday.

EIU has a good guard in Terrell Lewis (formerly known as Cornell Johnston before legal name change). He is now the career assists leader there. Was OVC Freshman of the Year in 2015. Another guy to keep an eye on is D'Angelo Jackson. Scored 20 ppg last game in JUCO level, good for 21st in the nation.

On a side note, Jay Spoonhaur is sporting a nice beard.

You hit the nail on the head about Chubbys pizza. Great when drunk, terrible when sober. Marty's is a must go if you are just looking for drinks before.

Pagliai's is the best pizza place in town. It's pronounced POLLY-WHYS. Say it wrong, and you'll get railed out of town.

I was always under the impression it was pronounced PALLY-EYES.

Otherwise, you pretty well summed up every place right.

There's also a Thai place right across from campus too but I'm not really into that kind of food so I don't have an opinion on it one way or another.

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
I was always under the impression it was pronounced PALLY-EYES.

Otherwise, you pretty well summed up every place right.

There's also a Thai place right across from campus too but I'm not really into that kind of food so I don't have an opinion on it one way or another.

I remember when I first moved up there, I pronounced it Pag-lee-eyes. People gave me the death stare over that one. But then again, seemed like from what I recall, folks pronounced it POLLY-EYES (not WHYS as I previously mentioned earlier so my bad). Maybe I might get sent out of town on the rail lol. But they have the best Italian food in town.

I forget about the Thai place. Another good place is Los Potrillos. But we always called it Los Pos.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Pagliai's is a chain, there used to be one in C-U, not sure if it's there anymore. I can't remember the location (30 years ago :doh: ) but it was pretty good pie.

They have (or had) locations all over central/southern IL, some in Iowa, and I think even Indiana and Kentucky.

Pagliai's is a chain, there used to be one in C-U, not sure if it's there anymore. I can't remember the location (30 years ago :doh: ) but it was pretty good pie.

They have (or had) locations all over central/southern IL, some in Iowa, and I think even Indiana and Kentucky.

On Main St in downtown Urbana. I think where Crane Alley is, but might be off by a few doors. I mostly remember the giant fish tank.

Chambana13

Charleston, IL
I literally got on at 8:30 exact and so did my fiancé, maximum limit. How?!

I tried online at 8:30 and have called several dozen times... nothing.

Did they offer them to season ticket holders early? Anyone on here actually get any? Lantz holds 5,400 people, doesn't seem like there would be THAT many pre-sales.

You have to create an account on the website then it will let you buy them. I just got 4.

On your mark, get set.... GO!

Maybe (hopefully) they will be forced to stream by popular demand.

Since I'm not in that business I don't know if there's time for the logistics of that though.

tickets still available at eiu

Yes, it's a weird system but I just bought 4. Hit the log in button on that initial screen and it will offer to have your register as a new user. Once you've done that it will automatically take you back to the order page and you can order from there. $11 per ticket including $1 service charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.