Pregame: Illinois at Iowa, Saturday, November 23rd, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.
After Peter's game vs Michigan St. I am not saying we need to go all air raid O but a 50/50 run pass play call needs to be the norm. Peters got comfortable and starting throwing some dimes.
At least mix in some passes on first and second down. RPO is designed to create hesitation for the defense. If you hand it to the tailback 90 % of the time, you don't worry about the rest.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
Speculating the spread will be comparable to the Michigan State game at roughly two TD's.....maybe 13.5.

I'd like to see a little more chunk plays on 1st and 2nd down. Our offense is still a little feast or famine and first down plays haven't been successful.

I'm not like crazy into the schematics of football offense but I always kind of thought that a good goal of offensive consistency is to "get a down to sprare" meaning get to 2nd and 5/6 or less so you can keep the offense varied.

I don't like when we run the football twice and end up with Peters stuck passing on 3rd and long.

I'd like to open up the quick passing game a little more to set up the run. It doesn't play the best to the our offensive skillset, but I'd like to see our offense take what I think is the next step.

Does anyone know if there is a Big Ten football standings calculator like there is for basketball? I’m curious if there is any mathematical chance for Illinois to reach the conf. title game if Minnesota loses out, Illinois wins out, and Wisconsin drops 1 to Nebraska or Purdue.

If I’m understanding things correctly that would make Ill, Min, and Wis all tied at 6-3 and they’d all be 1-1 against each other. So then, it would depend on who is in 4th and what our records look like against them, etc.

Super unlikely, I know, but just fun to run the scenarios during the off-week!

Does anyone know if there is a Big Ten football standings calculator like there is for basketball? I’m curious if there is any mathematical chance for Illinois to reach the conf. title game if Minnesota loses out, Illinois wins out, and Wisconsin drops 1 to Nebraska or Purdue.

If I’m understanding things correctly that would make Ill, Min, and Wis all tied at 6-3 and they’d all be 1-1 against each other. So then, it would depend on who is in 4th and what our records look like against them, etc.

Assuming Illinois is tied with Minnesota and Wisconsin all with a 6-3 record at the end of the regular season, that would mean the following:
  • Illinois beats Iowa and Northwestern
  • Minnesota loses to Iowa, Northwestern, and Wisconsin
  • Wisconsin beats Iowa, and loses to either Nebraska or Purdue and beats the other
According to the Big Ten Conference website, here are the procedures for determining tie breakers:

The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a three team tie:

If three teams are tied, steps 1 through 8 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step (or sub-step), the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative. If three teams remain tied after any step, move to next step in tiebreaker with remaining tied teams.

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage in games between the tied teams.

Since all three of the teams would have a 1-1 record against each other, we can't determine anything based off of this step, so we move to the next one.
2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage within their division.
Illinois would be 4-2 against B1G West opponents.​
Wisconsin would be 4-2 against B1G West opponents.​
Minnesota would be 3-3 against B1G West opponents.​
Since Minnesota would be removed from the equation after having a worse record than both Illinois and Wisconsin, it comes down to head-to-head between Illinois and Wisconsin. Thus, Illinois would be the B1G West champion due to their win against Wisconsin.​

There are 6 more steps, but they wouldn't need to be followed.

To reiterate, the only way Illinois can win the B1G West is if the following things happen:
  • Illinois has to win outright,
  • Minnesota has to lose outright, and
  • Wisconsin has to beat Minnesota and split between Nebraska and Purdue.
You can make up your own mind on the likelihood of any or all of those things happening.

Some of you are talking about a little more passing which is understandable.

That caused me to think back to the bad old days when we would regularly drop 40-50 passes a year. Did any one on this board seriously think that Reames, Barker, and Williams would give us anything this year. All this with very little out of Stanley and Sidney because of injuries.

At 215 for Bhebeh and Williams and 230 plus for Reames, we have probably the heaviest wideouts we've ever had.

I know that Reames puts the fear of God into any DB that he is blocking.

One reason we have won, besides having extreme good fortune, is that the new crop of wide receivers actually catch the ball. And have done so acrobatically when necessary. I contrast this with Smalling and Stampley. Sorry, but Stampley drops just about everything thrown his way. Smalling had a sub-par year last year and did not look much better earlier this season. I'd keep Navarro out there till his tongue is dragging.

To reiterate, the only way Illinois can win the B1G West is if the following things happen:
You can make up your own mind on the likelihood of any or all of those things happening.

I was thinking more about this. Am I wrong to think the the most likely of the three things to happen on this list is Illinois winning outright?

What a weird time it is to be an Illini fan and follower of the B1G!

Assuming Illinois is tied with Minnesota and Wisconsin all with a 6-3 record at the end of the regular season, that would mean the following:
  • Illinois beats Iowa and Northwestern
  • Minnesota loses to Iowa, Northwestern, and Wisconsin
  • Wisconsin beats Iowa, and loses to either Nebraska or Purdue and beats the other
According to the Big Ten Conference website, here are the procedures for determining tie breakers:

The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a three team tie:

If three teams are tied, steps 1 through 8 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step (or sub-step), the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative. If three teams remain tied after any step, move to next step in tiebreaker with remaining tied teams.

1. The records of the three tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage in games between the tied teams.

Since all three of the teams would have a 1-1 record against each other, we can't determine anything based off of this step, so we move to the next one.
2. The records of the three tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage within their division.
Illinois would be 4-2 against B1G West opponents.​
Wisconsin would be 4-2 against B1G West opponents.​
Minnesota would be 3-3 against B1G West opponents.​
Since Minnesota would be removed from the equation after having a worse record than both Illinois and Wisconsin, it comes down to head-to-head between Illinois and Wisconsin. Thus, Illinois would be the B1G West champion due to their win against Wisconsin.​

There are 6 more steps, but they wouldn't need to be followed.

Thanks for the detailed overview, that is exactly what I was looking for and about what I was thinking!

The best thing about this scenario is what it means for the illini. But what it means for Iowa is also pretty good.

BZuppke

Plainfield
I see Jonathon Taylor rushed for 250 yards against Ioway. Can we run the ball this week with a healthy dose of Peters to Behbe?

Iowa is still ranked in the Top 25. They have lost 3 very close games. If Minnesota inflicts another close lose on them this week, perhaps they will be completely demoralized? :)
Iowa.jpg

Sure you want to see an Illinois-Ohio State match-up on national television? Ohio State beat Wisconsin 38-7, and could of easily have scored 80 points last week against Maryland.

Watching the MSU game they liked to run on the edge and it seemed every time they blocked the edge. Collins ran open for at least 5-7 yards before he was tackled. They have to shore up the ends on def or Ia will run the same scheme. I don't think their passing is any better than the teams we have played to this point. I hope we get Betiku and Hansen back. Go Illini.

Sure you want to see an Illinois-Ohio State match-up on national television? Ohio State beat Wisconsin 38-7, and could of easily have scored 80 points last week against Maryland.
Who says it'd be Illinois-Ohio State? Indiana has a higher chance of being the B1G East Champion than Illinois does of being the B1G West champion. :)

Watching the MSU game they liked to run on the edge and it seemed every time they blocked the edge. Collins ran open for at least 5-7 yards before he was tackled. They have to shore up the ends on def or Ia will run the same scheme. I don't think their passing is any better than the teams we have played to this point. I hope we get Betiku and Hansen back. Go Illini.

Deff need to get more pass rushers in the rotation.

I think MSU's gameplan was to go after Degroot and Tolson with the run and it worked until those guys started to adapt and get more comfortable.

I'm hoping Milo learns and grows from what happened. He has a lot of talent but still waiting for it to all come together.

Deleted member 654622

D
We are going to need our D line to generate a pass rush otherwise we are screwed. We cant let Stanley be comfortable, he will just pick us apart if so

But we don't know if Lovie will mete out any punishment. And then there is the matter of a cracked helmet.

Yeah. I was listening to Lovie's interview with Olin Kreutz and Pat Manelly before one of the Bears games and Pat was talking about how he got a personal foul once and he knew Lovie was disappointed without even really talking to Lovie. Lovie responded along the lines of it being pointless to be vengeful as a coach I think he'll handle what happened just fine.

Deleted member 533939

D
Yes, we have to beat NW. If we lose to NW, then all the momentum goes up in smoke. They are atrocious this year. Just my opinion, I don't feel that I'm overstating it at all.

Yeah. I was listening to Lovie's interview with Olin Kreutz and Pat Manelly before one of the Bears games and Pat was talking about how he got a personal foul once and he knew Lovie was disappointed without even really talking to Lovie. Lovie responded along the lines of it being pointless to be vengeful as a coach I think he'll handle what happened just fine.
I'm sure missing out on being a part of the great comeback is punishment enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.