Pregame: Illinois at Iowa, Saturday, November 23rd, 11:00am CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinisteve25

Champaign
Went to several open training camp practices and they spend a lot of time on forcing turnovers. They also spent time on the returning of said turnovers as well so it is not luck or any kind of turnover fairy gift..

TOs aren't a miracle, they are taught and practiced. You don't lead the nation in TOs by luck.

Indeed. It’s not rolling the dice. I mean, maybe it’s a matter of being at the very high end of the bell curve. On the other hand, it’s week after week. And again, we could be that outlier.

But there is skill involved, and Illinois is giving up yards in exchange for turnovers. And it seems to be working. Our guys, by having practiced it more, have more of an idea where the ball might go. It’s like rabbit hunting. Rabbits have by nature a random generator in their head to make thei zigs and zags less predictable. On the other hand, an experienced hunter can get ahead of the rabbit. And that’s what a fumble hunter learns how to do.

If anything it’s going to be getting into a running back or receiver’s head to be a little less reckless or a little more attentive to the footsteps he’s hearing in his head.

Deleted member 654622

D
Went to several open training camp practices and they spend a lot of time on forcing turnovers. They also spent time on the returning of said turnovers as well so it is not luck or any kind of turnover fairy gift..
Did you observe Miles coaching at all? Care to share any details/thoughts?

Really excited to go see this game tomorrow. For the first time in a long time, hope to see a decent amount of orange at Kinnick.

Hypothetical: Would you take a win over Iowa if it meant a loss to Northwestern?
I'd actually take the win vs Northwestern at home. When we are winning the games we're supposed to win(along with toss ups) at home on a consistent basis, we'll be fully stable as a program. A loss to a FUGLY Northwestern squad, where we'll probably be two touchdown favorites, would be BRUTAL. I'd probably be physically ill. If we lose to Iowa, that's no fun, but they bludgeon teams at home. No harm done.

Deleted member 533939

D
Robert from IB did an analysis on this and determined we were only +3 based on where should be based on TO margin assuming neutral "luck". Not that dramatic. We are just very good at forcing fumbles in the right places where we have opportunity to recover, and good at being in position for INTs. Will we regress to the mean somewhat? Sure, but no reason to think our turnover generating D won't continue to do its thing.
If you believe this, I have some swamp land to sell you in Florida.

Time for everything to come crashing back to earth. The turnover gods don't hand out another miracle this week. Iowa by 20+.
This is what, probably the fifth week in a row that you've thought this? Iowa may win, just because they are really, really good, but getting turnovers in high volume are not a miracle. It's a taught trait. The Bears, under Lovie, must have had a lot of miracles because when he left....the new coaching staffs didn't experience that same divine intervention until Fangio came and the miracles returned.

Deleted member 533939

D
This is what, probably the fifth week in a row that you've thought this? Iowa may win, just because they are really, really good, but getting turnovers in high volume are not a miracle. It's a taught trait. The Bears, under Lovie, must have had a lot of miracles because when he left....the new coaching staffs didn't experience that same divine intervention until Fangio came and the miracles returned.
Forcing fumbles is a skill (sometimes). Recovering fumbles is not.

And you bring up the Bears. Did they forget how to force turnovers this year?

Getting back to the game, Iowa killed us on the tightend short crossing routes with yac. Hoping for bad weather think our chances improve.

Last year my wife asked why I watches every minute of the 63-0 game. My response was that I wanted to remember this game when we become a good team. Hoping for a win and at worst a competitive game.

Robert is right on the money, but the idea that Illinois has the skill to force fumbles in the right places doesn't make sense. Do they forget how to force fumbles in the backfield then suddenly remember 15 yards down the field?

I don't feel like 'right places' should be taken as a spot on the field. It's more of a 'right opportunity' in my eyes. After the first tackler makes contact, the 'right opportunity' is ideal for the 2nd or 3rd tackler to attempt to dislodge the ball.

Forcing fumbles is a skill (sometimes). Recovering fumbles is not.

And you bring up the Bears. Did they forget how to force turnovers this year?
You are correct that the recovery of the ball is not a skill. If anyone says that they know where an oblong, misshapen ball(keep it clean fellas) is going to bounce....they're lying. You're right about that.

Regarding the Bears....losing Fangio hurt. I'm not sure I've seen Eddie Jackson on the TV screen this year and without Hicks....that defensive line is good, not great. They're not putting any pressure on the QB to make an poor throw.....I'm getting off task. Talking about the Bears raises my blood pressure.

IlliniRocketFan

Rochester, IL
Robert is right on the money, but the idea that Illinois has the skill to force fumbles in the right places doesn't make sense. Do they forget how to force fumbles in the backfield then suddenly remember 15 yards down the field?
Here is another possible aspect. Once the ball gets past the LOS gauntlet, most players loosen up to get more speed or maneuvering. Also, a lot of our TOs are coming from blind side hits that create the shock factor. It seems to me that our D is flying to the ball a lot more this year. More orange helmets in the area means a higher chance of recovery. Just thinking out load. Now back to your show.

The majority of tackles aren’t made in the backfield, but I wish our’s were.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
I think Iowa will probably win, but we've shown we can stay competitive in any game this year — so, I already paid my $16 to try and watch in-flight tomorrow and won't regret it regardless of the outcome!

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
Robert from IB did an analysis on this and determined we were only +3 based on where should be based on TO margin assuming neutral "luck". Not that dramatic. We are just very good at forcing fumbles in the right places where we have opportunity to recover, and good at being in position for INTs. Will we regress to the mean somewhat? Sure, but no reason to think our turnover generating D won't continue to do its thing.
This may be the largest improvement in our defense. For the past several years I wish I had a nickel for every time I yelled "how can they be that wide open?" when our defense was on the field. This year, not as much.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I think I’d have to take the safe bet. Beat NW at home and lose to Iowa on the road.

Losing to a top 25 team on the road is expected. Losing to a HORRIBLE NW team at home is not.

If we lost to NW, it would make me think that this amazing 5 game streak (the hypothetical Iowa win included) was a fluke and I’d be super anxious about the bowl game and the future.

I just want to meet expectations. Beating our peers (NW, PU, Rut) is expected. Losing to them (especially at home) is not.

giphy (4).gif

In regards to turnovers...

I would like to point out that while everyone is praising Iowa for being tied for 9th in the country in turnovers lost, Illinois is tied for 29th in that same category. It's not like Illinois is somo sort of turnover machine on offense. (of course... when your average drive consists of like 4 plays, that's probably a major reason). In fact, that, combined with the fact Iowa is in the bottom half of the country in forcing turnovers on defense (tied for 78th), leads me me to believe we can win the turnover battle.

But here's the thing. Illinois has tied or won the turnover battle in every game except Eastern Michigan. It's gonna take more than winning the turnover battle. We do substantially better when we win the turnover battle by at least 2 (only lost to Nebraska... which is still depressing to think about). Unfortunately, I don't see that kind of success today.

This is a tough one to say, but I don't see Illinois pulling this off without some help from the fairy.

Status
Not open for further replies.