Pregame: Illinois at Iowa, Sunday, February 2nd, 12:00pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope to see a bunch of orange ruining their white out and an Illini victory!!!!

Given the stretch coming up, this would be one of the most important program wins in ...?????????
Ok. Watch for my orange hoodie in a sea of white. Wife got me tickets and a flight to this game as a Christmas present and I'm sure I will be surrounded. This is my first live game since my wife and I had season tickets in 1989 seated next to a certain Mrs. Battle. Had no idea we would be fighting for a BIG championship at this point but am ready for a great game. I L L!

Tough match-up in Iowa City. It always seems Iowa shoots the heck out of the ball against the Illini. Garza-Kofi match-up will be fun to watch - hope Kofi can stay out of foul trouble. Garza is a very smart player. He has only been in foul trouble two times - one of those vs Maryland.

Got this game solidly entrenched in the loss column....but who would of guessed what has happened? One cannot stress defense enough, or predict what this team will do on the court. Just hope they don'[t lay an egg.

You're right, he was much better in The Munsters.

200.gif

Ok. Watch for my orange hoodie in a sea of white. Wife got me tickets and a flight to this game as a Christmas present and I'm sure I will be surrounded. This is my first live game since my wife and I had season tickets in 1989 seated next to a certain Mrs. Battle. Had no idea we would be fighting for a BIG championship at this point but am ready for a great game. I L L!

Don’t be so sure! I went last year, and I was surrounded ... no more than 500 Illini fans max. However, in 2005, we had 6,000 ... over a third of the arena. It was amazing. We’ve definitely had between 1,000 to 2,000 Illini fans there several years.

eMitch

Quincy, IL
Got this game solidly entrenched in the loss column....but who would of guessed what has happened? One cannot stress defense enough, or predict what this team will do on the court. Just hope they don'[t lay an egg.

Solidly entrenched? Tentatively penciled at worst.

haasi

New York
Great analysis. Loving some of those numbers.
I was curious about Illinois' opponents this year and their assist average for the year vs how they fared against Illinois.

Here is what I found (Assists for the game - Average assists per game for the year)

@MD: -0.7
MICH: -.3.2
@MST:+1.2
PUR: -7.5
@WIS: -7
RUT: -5.8
NW: -2.7
@PUR: -5.8
@MICH: -10.2
MINN: -10.7

That seems to match nicely what I'm seeing. The defense is not allowing good ball movement at all. Any offense is 1 on 1 stuff. That's not a good strategy for team success in basketball. Good for us.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Going to the game Saturday. Anyone know of any hangout spots to get food and drinks before the game? Any illini hangout spots?
The Vine always fills up with Illini fans before this game (Coralville location, not the Iowa City one). Close enough to walk to and from the game if you want. Right next door is Wig & Penn, a great pizza spot for after the game. Downtown Iowa City has a ton of bars if that's what you are looking for. 30 Hop is a great spot as well. Right off of I80, same exit for Carver in Coralville.

I will most likely be at The Vine when it opens before the game. My Hawkeye wife will be doing her best to keep me out of trouble.

Nice, represent Turn!!

Deleted member 8896

D
The Vine always fills up with Illini fans before this game (Coralville location, not the Iowa City one). Close enough to walk to and from the game if you want. Right next door is Wig & Penn, a great pizza spot for after the game. Downtown Iowa City has a ton of bars if that's what you are looking for. 30 Hop is a great spot as well. Right off of I80, same exit for Carver in Coralville.

I will most likely be at The Vine when it opens before the game. My Hawkeye wife will be doing her best to keep me out of trouble.
Game is at noon on a Sunday- what time do bars open then?

Game is at noon on a Sunday- what time do bars open then?

Vine usually opens at 11:00, not sure if they switch that up for home games? As has been said, The Vine, and Wig and Pen are walking distance. A relatively new “German bar” with great beer called Guild Wurst is right next to The Vine, too. For after the game, whether celebrating or drowning sorrows, I suggest Big Grove on Gilbert St., just south of downtown. Huge space, fairly good beer and usually a great time.

Quite jealous of you guys!

Solidly entrenched? Tentatively penciled at worst.
No, it is solidly entrenched in my loss column due to my analysis of probability of winning at less than 5%. Now, in your book, it may be completely different and I have no problem with that. Even with the solid and mostly competent performances over the last seven games, the Hawks in Carver do not match up well for our guys. I will be very, very happy to be wrong.

1) Iowa is formidable ................ AT HOME

2) IL has a formidable defense ................... anywhere
3) I expect IL to keep Iowa below 60 and will not be surprised if they are kept below 55 (@ their home. Yes)

4) BUT, to win, IL needs to up their Offense .................. like @ Purdue. Else .........................

IMHO, IL D will do its job. Not so sure IL O will keep up.

No, it is solidly entrenched in my loss column due to my analysis of probability of winning at less than 5%. Now, in your book, it may be completely different and I have no problem with that. Even with the solid and mostly competent performances over the last seven games, the Hawks in Carver do not match up well for our guys. I will be very, very happy to be wrong.
I don't get hat at all. Our guards are quicker and more athletic than theirs are. Kofi and Giorgi will present challenges for Garza, who's the heart and soul of their team. We don't let guys get wide open looks from 3, ask Minny who was 3 of 18. We defend and rebound and that travels, along with winning the TO battle, they average 12 TO's/game.

I think we need to use the same game plan as Michigan back in December. Stay at home on their 3 point shooters and let Garza have his on a volume of shots. On O we are going to need to hit 3s, if Illinois hits at least 7 of them they win this one.

1) Iowa is formidable ................ AT HOME

2) IL has a formidable defense ................... anywhere
3) I expect IL to keep Iowa below 60 and will not be surprised if they are kept below 55 (@ their home. Yes)

4) BUT, to win, IL needs to up their Offense .................. like @ Purdue. Else .........................

IMHO, IL D will do its job. Not so sure IL O will keep up.

Iowa averaging 70 points a game and you believe that ( I hope too ) that we can hold them to 10 under their average at home when their leading scorer is Garza? Our biggest weakness spot defensively ?

Alright.. I'm in!

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
I don't get hat at all. Our guards are quicker and more athletic than theirs are. Kofi and Giorgi will present challenges for Garza, who's the heart and soul of their team. We don't let guys get wide open looks from 3, ask Minny who was 3 of 18. We defend and rebound and that travels, along with winning the TO battle, they average 12 TO's/game.
The best possible spin. Sure hope you're right!

Let’s just hope that Franny Pants doesn’t throw a Franny tantrum and get their usual home cookin.... Can’t stand that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.