Pregame: Illinois at Iowa, Sunday, February 2nd, 12:00pm CT, FS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get hat at all. Our guards are quicker and more athletic than theirs are. Kofi and Giorgi will present challenges for Garza, who's the heart and soul of their team. We don't let guys get wide open looks from 3, ask Minny who was 3 of 18. We defend and rebound and that travels, along with winning the TO battle, they average 12 TO's/game.
I sincerely hope you are correct. I have seen too many Iowa and Illinois games the past 3 yrs. to change my opinion but it does not mean I am right, I just do not think we will score enough pts to compete in Carver regardless of speed or size. They put it in the basket there...often. But anything can happen ....that is why the games get played and we go crazy while watching every play in anticipation of success.

Flight#33

Flight#33
I would put Damonte on Wisecamp, and have the guards help on Garza. It always seems like an unknown player from Iowa comes through against Illinois, so watch out for Frederickson sp. If the D stays like it has been, it will be close and a win.

Yea, Garza's going to get his. Need to keep our bigs out of foul trouble and in the game, and not let the other Iowa perimeter players go off for big numbers. We need to be better offensively than the last couple of games.
Exactly. Oturu hit his season average, but held rest of the team down. With Iowa’s outside shooters, I expect BU to concentrate on stopping them/rest of team. Garza will get his, but take care of the defensive rebounds and Illini will be there at the end. Then the O&B closers take over.

JJE

Bethalto, IL
I remember the days when the Orange Krush would invade other arenas, this would be a perfect game for that.
As far as the game goes, this one is going to be tough. Iowa's strengths are going to be hard to match. That said, this is generally when Mcphsyco's teams start to go down hill. Good opportunity here. Go Illini!

Let’s see. We weren’t going to beat Wis on their floor. We did. W For sure we weren’t going to beat Pu at their place the toughest in the Big Ten. We won. What about Mich? All reports it is near impossible to win a road game in the Big Ten. We won! Road kill is on the menu for Sunday.

GallopingGhost

Denver, CO
Myron Medcalf has us winning this game 82-78. He’s been the most accurate of the ESPN analysts this season.

other three However have us losing.. we will see if we can even score that many points!

Underwood has proven to be very savvy this year. I really hope he watches the Minny game closely. What this team needs is the guards to start feeding Kofi the ball earlier in the shoot clock. Multiple times he had Oturu pinned, yet we (our guards) refuse to dump the ball down to him.
Kofi needs to touch the ball every time down the floor. Even if he only goes 1-2 every time he shoots (which I think it possible) it will change the game. We are all clamoring on how to guard Garza, what we should be doing is making the question how will Garza defend Kofi. I am hoping more spread and make sure we dump it to him for a touch before 20 seconds have run off the shot clock.

Deleted member 746654

D
AG's return will be big for us in this game. Gives us another guy who can score and defend on their shooters.

illinimike

Wheaton, IL
With Griffin back, might as well use Kippers fouls against Garza for some minutes to extend the availability of GB and Kofi (although, minus the last game, he has done really well avoiding foul trouble).

I think you really have to attack Garza on the offensive end. A player like that will get his points, but if we can get him with a couple fouls early we could slow him down enough to minimize his impact. I think dishing to Kofi and GB off the dribble drive is the answer in this one.

Iowa averaging 70 points a game and you believe that ( I hope too ) that we can hold them to 10 under their average at home when their leading scorer is Garza? Our biggest weakness spot defensively ?

Alright.. I'm in!

I know, I know.

BUT, when we played (at their home):

Purdue: they ave 74. We held them to 62 ................. (12 below)
Michigan: they ave 83. Held them to 62 ................. (21 below)

Have not done the analysis for Wiscy yet.

So, what am I supposed to say, when the numbers point me to holding Iowa below 60 and perhaps even 55? :noidea:

It is all the fault of them numbers.

Coin flip game, even though our Illini will likely be a 4 or 5 point underdog. Iowa is playing very well right now and they are a good team, and Garza is a stud. If our Illini can play clean and keep the zebras out of the game I think they can win. If Ayo or Kofi picks up 2 quick fouls then it will be a difficult game to watch.

I think you really have to attack Garza on the offensive end. A player like that will get his points, but if we can get him with a couple fouls early we could slow him down enough to minimize his impact. I think dishing to Kofi and GB off the dribble drive is the answer in this one.
Oh I totally agree. Attack, attack, attack on offense. I think Kipper has the strength to compete with him on the blocks on D, at least for shorter stints to let Kofi stay fresh for the endgame. Guards will need to stay home. As goes Weiskamp, so goes Iowa.

Myron Medcalf has us winning this game 82-78. He’s been the most accurate of the ESPN analysts this season.

other three However have us losing.. we will see if we can even score that many points!

I thought all those espn analysts had too many points being scored, if the refs behave like they have been.

A lot of interesting X's and O's in this one.

-Iowa likes to push the ball and score in transition. We like to send guys to the offensive glass. Which will be the bigger advantage?
-Iowa likes to play a lot of zone. We haven't seen a lot of zone this year. Can we keep the ball moving and get good looks inside instead of settling for deep 3's?
-Do we double Garza or not? I'm guessing not. Let him have his points, but don't let anyone else get hot.

I just hope the refs stay out of this one and let us battle it out. Seems like Iowa is right up there with Wisconsin as the 2 teams who get the most calls at home.

I would put Damonte on Wisecamp, and have the guards help on Garza. It always seems like an unknown player from Iowa comes through against Illinois, so watch out for Frederickson sp. If the D stays like it has been, it will be close and a win.
Agree with all except having the guards help off. That's what Iowa wants and if we do that, Iowa 3's will be what beats us.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Take care of business and we are alone in first.

Status
Not open for further replies.