Pregame: Illinois at Maryland, Saturday, December 7th, 4:00pm CT, ESPN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrod1286

Pat Chambers
Illinois
Maybe we will turn the tables and shoot 65% from behind the arc.....

ILLINI 81, MARYLAND 79. We fix some things. I like kool-aid.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
giphy (9).gif

I don't see how we hang with Maryland with our current defense. We know that the pressure defense sucked last year but it gave us a chance to stun a better team. I don't feel like we can play Maryland straight up and walk away with a W. I would like to see some pressure today.

I don't see how we hang with Maryland with our current defense. We know that the pressure defense sucked last year but it gave us a chance to stun a better team. I don't feel like we can play Maryland straight up and walk away with a W. I would like to see some pressure today.

It seems like if Kofi and Giorgi are both on the floor we should be switching between a 1-2-2 zone and a 3-2 zone. This will keep Giorgi and Kofi closer to the rim but still protects the 3 point line. If the opponent is hitting more 3s or driving the lane more would dictate which zone we show more often.

If we only have Kofi or Giorgi on the floor, then we can start mixing in man defense as well.

The keys to winning are going to be ON OFFENSE feeding Kofi and Giorgi inside, keeping the lanes open for Ayo and Feliz (and Tevian) to penetrate off the dribble, finding the open shooter in Trent and Griffin (and maybe Ayo or Tevian). ON DEFENSE keeping Kofi inside the 3 point arch at ALL times, being in position to close out on outside shooters, not turning the ball over and giving up transition points.

Sounds simple... but it’s a lot of coaching that needed to be done this summer, we’ll see if things start clicking soon.

illini80

Forgottonia
We better get out and defend from the opening tip. They haven't shot well from 3 so far and have started slow. Let them get going and we will be in trouble again. Hit them hard from the start and we have a decent shot. I wouldn't mind seeing Underwood put the pressure D back on on a situational basis. We can't play it the whole game, but we sure could for 5-10 possessions a game.

illini80

Forgottonia
It seems like if Kofi and Giorgi are both on the floor we should be switching between a 1-2-2 zone and a 3-2 zone. This will keep Giorgi and Kofi closer to the rim but still protects the 3 point line. If the opponent is hitting more 3s or driving the lane more would dictate which zone we show more often.

If we only have Kofi or Giorgi on the floor, then we can start mixing in man defense as well.

The keys to winning are going to be ON OFFENSE feeding Kofi and Giorgi inside, keeping the lanes open for Ayo and Feliz (and Tevian) to penetrate off the dribble, finding the open shooter in Trent and Griffin (and maybe Ayo or Tevian). ON DEFENSE keeping Kofi inside the 3 point arch at ALL times, being in position to close out on outside shooters, not turning the ball over and giving up transition points.

Sounds simple... but it’s a lot of coaching that needed to be done this summer, we’ll see if things start clicking soon.
I should drop it, but it's been bugging me all season that we left several practices days on the table at the beginning of the season because of the summer trip. It sure looks to me like we could have used the extra work.

adogster

Scottsdale, AZ
I should drop it, but it's been bugging me all season that we left several practices days on the table at the beginning of the season because of the summer trip. It sure looks to me like we could have used the extra work.

Aren't practice days regulated?

We started later, yes. But my understanding is that we still used all of our allowed days. Just closer together and later than normal. If that’s not the case and we gave up some days of practice then I 100% agree with you that it was a terrible decision.

Deleted member 645583

D
I'm remembering Pearl Harbor. Fly the Stars and Stripes!

Still, on tnis 12/7 , I hope for an ILLINI win.

Status
Not open for further replies.