Pregame: Illinois at Maryland, Saturday, October 27th, 2:30pm CT, BTN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Maryland -15

Wasn't able to watch either of the past two games, but was as disappointed as everyone else after last week's debacle. Wanted to see some fight this weak, and despite the result, I get the sense that the player attitudes are impressively hungry and optimistic. I just read the quotes in the DHR Notebook section, and the guys really seem to believe they can put it together.

If they believe, I believe. I'm not giving up on guys who haven't given up on themselves. 31-21 good guys. Go Illini.

This is be the game where MARYLAND says..."...see we're not such a bad team...look at what we did to Illinois."

I kinda see that....Maryland BEAT Texas, lost to Iowa 23-0 last week. I can see the Maryland coaches getting a lotta push to make this some kinda statement game...too bad we're gonna be on the bad end of it.

Maryland -15

More than 2 TDs I really like the Illini and the points. I really believe we keep this close and hope we win. The struggle becomes with a defense like ours the difference between a 1 point loss and a 20 point loss is razor thin with how fast we have given up pts

Who have we beat this year to think we can win anymore games the rest of the season ?

The points and total yards our defense has given up in the last two games has me wondering what in the H-E double hockey sticks is going on there. Is it scheme? Is it playing calling? Is it execution? Is it talent? Is it experience? Is it a little bit of everything? How do you fix a little bit of everything? We're so easy to predict it's ridiculous. You do one thing and Illini reacts leaving exactly what you need open. How do you expect to win with kids this young when it's this easy to game them?

Deleted member 29907

D
Who have we beat this year to think we can win anymore games the rest of the season ?
Not sure that is a valid way to pose the question. We've lost to 3 top 25 teams and a team that just beat a top 5 team. So if we were playing top 25 teams here on out - I'd tend to agree. Rankings would suggest we've been through the toughest part of the schedule - so now we have (other than Iowa) teams that we are closer to in ability. No locks, but they're not all top 25s.

The points and total yards our defense has given up in the last two games has me wondering what in the H-E double hockey sticks is going on there. Is it scheme? Is it playing calling? Is it execution? Is it talent? Is it experience? Is it a little bit of everything? How do you fix a little bit of everything? We're so easy to predict it's ridiculous. You do one thing and Illini reacts leaving exactly what you need open. How do you expect to win with kids this young when it's this easy to game them?

Look at the two weakest positions on the defense - defensive line and defensive back. The guys that Lovie has coaching those two groups are totally inexperienced by B10 standards. Neither is over 30 and neither has any significant coaching experience.

Not sure that is a valid way to pose the question. We've lost to 3 top 25 teams and a team that just beat a top 5 team. So if we were playing top 25 teams here on out - I'd tend to agree. Rankings would suggest we've been through the toughest part of the schedule - so now we have (other than Iowa) teams that we are closer to in ability. No locks, but they're not all top 25s.

Agreed. Just to add 3 of the last 4 opponents own top 20 offenses Penn St. #19, Purdue #17, Wisconsin #5

If we continue to give up big offensives days in our next 3 Maryland #100, Minnesota #95, Nebraska #50, then I will be a great deal more concerned.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaoff

I live in Md have watch K Hill in high school great kid good runner below average passer, we stack the box and contain the jet sweep its ours to win

Bovoda has us at 17 point underdogs, feeling tempted to take that, but looking at Maryland's results they seem to always bounce back after a bad loss. Also getting fed up with the D, really hoping we can see some adjustments and not play soft man coverage on 3rd and nine's.

Any win we are able to get will be an upset. MN, Nebraska and NW look like the best opportunities.

The Purdue win against the Buckeyes has me at least thinking about the orange kool aid again. We are not as bad as we think. Hopefully. :LOL:
I'm not saying I feel differently, but simply noting that it's pretty sad we have to look to other teams/games to make us feel better about our own.

I'm not saying I feel differently, but simply noting that it's pretty sad we have to look to other teams/games to make us feel better about our own.
Our losses this season:
v. #21 USF (Neutral Site)
v. #17 PSU
v. Purdue (has most 'gained' second order wins (i.e. football equivalent Pythag), just beat previously #2 OSU, who posses a Heisman candidate at QB)
@ #20 Wisc

Purdue could very easily (and I mean ~5 plays away from) being undefeated and possibly top 10 ranked team. Our losses have been to good teams.

I take little stock in this, but we have yet to lose to a bad team. Or an average team. Withholding Iowa, the rest of these games are against average/bad teams. Keep them close, and we are at least still on track for what I thought this team would be this year. That said, it still seems like a tall task for this team.

Deleted member 649710

D
Md had just a tad over 100 yards total offense today
They’ll have over 500 this week. This defense might be the worst I’ve seen at Illinois since the 70s, which is just mind boggling given the pedigrees of this coaching staff.

BTW, all the problems flow from the D line getting no pressure on opponents’ QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 654622

D
This board reminds me of my kid playing fortnight...Every time he gets killed, its the worst thing ever to happen and was totally unexpected...Even though everybody knows he is gonna get shot. But when he runs up on a lame duck and finishes him, he is the next ninja.

breadman

Herndon, VA
I am there in the Illinois section

Section 303, upper deck, is supposedly one of 2 sections for the Alumni. The other is the first level, I think 103? But maybe both are for all Illini fans. Will also be at the Alumni pregame gathering at the alumni center next door to the football stadium from 1:30 to 3:30.

Iowa just made Maryland look awful. We are nowhere near as good as Iowa (it appears), but I guarantee you we will score on them. I would honestly say the odds are we lose on the road this coming Saturday, but to act like we are screwed from the get-go is, err, nothing short of letting your emotions dictate things. Easy to do as a fan, for sure, but I think we definitely have a chance in College Park.

Side note (ever so slightly off topic), but are we pretty much on a week-by-week basis now for game times? I see that nothing is announced past this Saturday. I am coming to Champaign for the Iowa game with some friends, and I am REALLY hoping that can be a 2:30 pm start.

Dan

Admin
Nov. 17 Iowa game time will be announced on either Nov. 5th or Nov. 11th. (On some weeks the media folks are allowed to hold up game time announcements until 1 week prior)

Speaking of, the Nov. 3rd Minnesota home game has just been announced a 2:30pm CT (BTN) kickoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.